Coaching search update

Advertisement
I'm still worried that they are going to hire Mario.

ButchUp.png

I don't have this concern any more. Lots of good stuff coming from the AD and President this week. Seems like all of the Mario talk has really died down and hopefully the decision makers realize that he should be far down on the candidate list. I of course realize that the BOT is running the show but I have more confidence in this process today than I did last week.

It's interesting to see how so many fans have gotten cold feet with Butch now that it seems like it could become a reality.

Advertisement
It's interesting to see how so many fans have gotten cold feet with Butch now that it seems like it could become a reality.

Agreed. I've never really been on the BBB bandwagon like most on this board. I still remember many of the fans calling him "Botch" back in the day. Sure, he created the miracle run of 2000 - 2001 but there were lots of mistakes and duds along the way. I feel like fans are only thinking of those 2 years and not remembering the others. My belief is that there are many better candidates out there than Butch Davis.

I'm not one of them...

I know what Butch can do. He's done it before and hopefully he'll be given the opportunity to do it again...

It's interesting that many of the gripes about Butch come from his time spent at UNC. The job he's interviewing for is Miami. As such, the most salient data must be used to try to predict future success. Since he's actually already worked at Miami as the HC, that data is the most relevant.

At any rate, we'll find out soon enough who the next HC will be...

Advertisement
Butch is the coach we need, I'm nervous by the rocky road it took for him to get UNC to where they were, he had no connection to the scandals BS that went down. Butch is a builder, he will put this program from the sorry condition (with exception of the Return) we've been in the last 14 years. Bring in someone to be his understudy, more of a bulldog if you will. This being said, Mario for Asst Coach? Maybe continue learning under butch and being heir to the iron throne?

Agreed. I've never really been on the BBB bandwagon like most on this board. I still remember many of the fans calling him "Botch" back in the day. Sure, he created the miracle run of 2000 - 2001 but there were lots of mistakes and duds along the way. I feel like fans are only thinking of those 2 years and not remembering the others. My belief is that there are many better candidates out there than Butch Davis.

His first three years at the U were 1) severe sanction years and 2) his first years as a HC. He might have had some growing pains.

Everywhere he has been he has amassed a huge amount of talent. I have no doubt he will do it again... At the U!!!

They would have already hired him if he was the leading candidate. He could resign and start right now. He probably will be considered but he is probably the last ditch everyone turns us down guy. And Butch is before him and Butch ain't turning down the U.

Advertisement
I think some people underestimated the job as well since we had fallen so far as a football team. I said it a lot during the really bad times but once the sanctions were cleared up I felt the coaching gig was a monster job for an up and comer but so many people were beaten down so far I don't think they wanted to believe it.

Butch is still a nice safe pick that gives us the ability to play for ACC championships immediately.

Preaching the choir though I know.

I don't think it's cold feet as much as just wanting to see them conduct a thorough search now that other quality candidates are emerging as possibilities -- especially since they have indicated that they are willing to spend a little more money this time around. Most of us would be thrilled if they hired Butch, but there is no harm in checking in with Kelly, seeing how the Pagano situation plays out, and gauging interest from Fuente and Herman considering what they have done with their respective programs.

Last edited:

They would have already hired him if he was the leading candidate. He could resign and start right now. He probably will be considered but he is probably the last ditch everyone turns us down guy. And Butch is before him and Butch ain't turning down the U.
God bless you but you are giving them a lot more credit than I am. For all we know, they consider Mario a terrific hire based on the ball washing he is getting from the local press, some former players, and a small but vocal contingent of our fan base. After the last three hires I do not trust them at all to get it right.

Advertisement

Miami finished in the AP Top 15 in 3 of Butch's 6 years here despite crippling sanctions. We haven't finished in the Top 15 since 2004 (when the last of his players were cycling out).

I want the admin to do a thorough search, but to act like Butch would be a continuation of Coker, Shannon and Golden is beyond ridiculous.

I think some people underestimated the job as well since we had fallen so far as a football team. I said it a lot during the really bad times but once the sanctions were cleared up I felt the coaching gig was a monster job for an up and comer but so many people were beaten down so far I don't think they wanted to believe it.

Butch is still a nice safe pick that gives us the ability to play for ACC championships immediately.

I've always felt that it was donna who had a hand in downplaying the value of the UM football coaching gig. Before her, there wasn't a sole on the planet who didn't think the UM job was a stepping stone to where ever you wanted to go. During her time, she under-valued and under-funded the gig, tied the hands of those who held the job and the results that followed didn't help.

It *appears* to be a new day now that she is gone. Im hopeful. I think we all are.

No cold feet for me. Great upside, but high risk. Do I think it's possible that he's unable to do what he's done before? Of course. But the same holds true with those candidates who remain untested. Does that mean I'd have a problem with Herman? Nope, but I wouldn't have 100% confidence in him either. My only two realistic choices are Butch and Herman. I really don't think we have a shot with Kelly or some other big name guy. And I don't want Strong, Mario or Fuentes.

I've always felt that it was donna who had a hand in downplaying the value of the UM football coaching gig. Before her, there wasn't a sole on the planet who didn't think the UM job was a stepping stone to where ever you wanted to go. During her time, she under-valued and under-funded the gig, tied the hands of those who held the job and the results that followed didn't help.

It *appears* to be a new day now that she is gone. Im hopeful. I think we all are.
Yeah I think any young coach with talent and ambition would look at our job as a gold mine. Make some decent money, recruit, winnable games nearly every week for a couple of years, not a ton of extreme expectations, then maybe move on if you want.

Advertisement
Back