Coaching Preference Lists Record

I'll add Dino Babers to my list. Not the top, but on the list. And if Scott can go 4-1 as interim he deserves at very least an interview.

Advertisement
1. Tom Herman
2. Butch Davis
3. Justin Fuente

**IF Chip Kelly is somehow available he should be the unanimous #1 Choice***

1. Butch
2. Pagano
3. Strong
4. Chud
5. Hue (would be 1 or 2 except that he will be a NFL HC)
6. Herman (maybe should be higher, but I'm not sure that he would fit in S. Fl. Just don't know enough about him, and my biggest concern is another up-and-coming Golden.)

Advertisement
1) Butch

2) Urban

3) Saban

4) Butch Davis

5) Davis, aka Butch

I tend to think strategically. Two years ago I wanted Chud. Cane but young and a offensive mind. My thought however included Butch as his DC. Now, I don't think we really have a choice. We have been taken to the cliff's edge. A small light came on last Saturday and this week. The kids showed what many of us suspected, they are in fact better than the coaches we have given them. Then, for the first time in my memory, the President of the University of Miami came out and actually sounded like he was defending our kids. We must take advantage of this moment.

Everyone is thinking with our past experience. We hired JJ and Denis, unknown up and comers from lesser programs. Three NCs resulted. The huge difference was those coaches both walked into a programs and teams that had just won NCs and full of great talent. We are a disaster now. We need the Lee Iacocca coach who saves and rebulid programs even if he doesn't run the successful company as well. We all know such a coach. Two years ago he was not me first coach because I wanted a better "coach". Today we have no choice. We must have the guy who restarted us before to do it again. Anyone else is a complete shot in the dark. None of the other names have ANY certainty with them at all.

I love our kids and think they can compete with good coaching, but lets not fool ourselves. JJ came here and had a NC winning QB with an future Heisman winner on the bench and a team already loaded with HOF players. Dennis walked into more talent than anyone ever until Coker. Our next coach is getting a team with some talent. It is nice to think about who we want, but the truth is the is only one choice at this moment. If Butch fails, he will leave talent for the next guy. If someone else is chosen and fails, the question is WILL there be a NEXT GUY. We might only have one round left in the chamber -- who do you want to spend it on?

Couldn't agree more.
I, like you tend to think of mitigating risks in this hire. We had too many failures and I like a steady hand at the helm now. Let's be honest here, we are not getting established Saban, Harbaugh or Meyer type of hire here. Butch maybe a lower tier but in South Florida, he could still give similar results to what those guys can accomplish in Alabama, Michigan or Ohio.

1. Butch Davis
2. Tom Herman
3. Gary Patterson
4. Justin Fuente
5. Rob Chudzinski

Advertisement
1. Dan Mullen
2. Mike Gundy
3. Butch Davis
4. Tom Herman

Dan Mullen's a legit coach, but based on my previous experience with what he supposedly said and how we reacted, I don't think he's a realistic option here.

Gundy is an interesting name on the list. Have you done a profile on him?

That's disappointing regarding Mullen. I always thought he wanted to follow Meyer's path and make that jump to a school that gives him a realistic opportunity to build a title team. I had hoped his comments post-Miami interview were just posturing after he offended whoever conducted it.

I've got Gundy coming up after Butch and Herman. He's another interesting guy that I think is a great coach and might be able to be plucked. We need to find the ambitious coach who's realized he's hit a ceiling at his program and is looking to arm up elsewhere. Im rooting for Baylor and Oklahoma to blow their doors off and send Gundy looking for greener pastures.

Considering his History, he might already be at his dream job.

He was born an hour away from Stillwater. He went to Oklahoma State. He played for Oklahoma State. 21 of his 25 years in coaching have come at Oklahoma State.

I get that he may be a lifer. I do. Maybe he's content spending his entire career there fighting and clawing with Texas, aTm, Oklahoma, TCU, Baylor etc for Texas kids. He might be happy putting together teams that, despite his best efforts, just don't have enough to get over the hump and become a playoff team. This may be all he wants professionally and he very well might be happy as a pig in shlt.

But, on the other hand, he might have realized he's hit a ceiling at Oklahoma State. There's a decent chance he's looking for a challenge or a change of scenery. Gundy is like a super intelligent guy that stayed home for college and got himself a nice job at a small local company after graduation. He's advanced his career within as far as he could and he's widely respected, but now he's just sitting there in his office with his thumb up his *** wondering "now what?"

The Miami job is New York City. It's Palo Alto. It's a Fortune 500 company. It's his chance to go break out from that bubble that's limited his talents and provide him the opportunity he needs to do something great in his profession. He could kick around Podunk Tech his whole life, and be happy overseeing a small potatoes program that just doesn't have the juice to be great. Or he could challenge himself and come to Miami and try to win himself a championship. Try to push himself.

The reason I am hopeful with Gundy is because he was reportedly interested in the UF gig:

According to three sources in the coaching community, Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy the Vegas favorite to land the vacant Florida head coach job, wants the position and through back channels has been letting his interest be known.

Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy 'pursuing' Florida job, per report - SBNation.com

And he was very close to taking the Tennessee job:

Mike Gundy nearly left Oklahoma State for Tennessee, per CBS Sports

Mike Gundy nearly left Oklahoma State for Tennessee, per CBS Sports - SBNation.com

And best of all, he seems to hate T Boone:

Boone Pickens-Mike Gundy feud: Strained relationships seem to be the norm for Gundy these days
Who knows who’s to blame in the Boone Pickens-Mike Gundy feud, but this much we know: Gundy has alienated a lot more people than just Boone in recent years.

Boone Pickens-Mike Gundy feud: Strained relationships seem to be the norm for Gundy these days | News OK

I stand corrected.

@Everyone in this thread with Chud or Schiano on their list

Please explain what qualities they have that would make them a good fit as Miami football CEO.

Patterson
Gundy
Fuente
Herman
Babers

Patterson should be the priority imo. Even he has to understand that he has reached his plateau at TCU. He needs to try his hand at a program that he can build depth and have the players to fulfill his needs for his defense.

Advertisement
1. Dan Mullen
2. Mike Gundy
3. Butch Davis
4. Tom Herman

Dan Mullen's a legit coach, but based on my previous experience with what he supposedly said and how we reacted, I don't think he's a realistic option here.

Gundy is an interesting name on the list. Have you done a profile on him?

That's disappointing regarding Mullen. I always thought he wanted to follow Meyer's path and make that jump to a school that gives him a realistic opportunity to build a title team. I had hoped his comments post-Miami interview were just posturing after he offended whoever conducted it.

I've got Gundy coming up after Butch and Herman. He's another interesting guy that I think is a great coach and might be able to be plucked. We need to find the ambitious coach who's realized he's hit a ceiling at his program and is looking to arm up elsewhere. Im rooting for Baylor and Oklahoma to blow their doors off and send Gundy looking for greener pastures.

Considering his History, he might already be at his dream job.

He was born an hour away from Stillwater. He went to Oklahoma State. He played for Oklahoma State. 21 of his 25 years in coaching have come at Oklahoma State.

I get that he may be a lifer. I do. Maybe he's content spending his entire career there fighting and clawing with Texas, aTm, Oklahoma, TCU, Baylor etc for Texas kids. He might be happy putting together teams that, despite his best efforts, just don't have enough to get over the hump and become a playoff team. This may be all he wants professionally and he very well might be happy as a pig in shlt.

But, on the other hand, he might have realized he's hit a ceiling at Oklahoma State. There's a decent chance he's looking for a challenge or a change of scenery. Gundy is like a super intelligent guy that stayed home for college and got himself a nice job at a small local company after graduation. He's advanced his career within as far as he could and he's widely respected, but now he's just sitting there in his office with his thumb up his *** wondering "now what?"

The Miami job is New York City. It's Palo Alto. It's a Fortune 500 company. It's his chance to go break out from that bubble that's limited his talents and provide him the opportunity he needs to do something great in his profession. He could kick around Podunk Tech his whole life, and be happy overseeing a small potatoes program that just doesn't have the juice to be great. Or he could challenge himself and come to Miami and try to win himself a championship. Try to push himself.

The reason I am hopeful with Gundy is because he was reportedly interested in the UF gig:

According to three sources in the coaching community, Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy the Vegas favorite to land the vacant Florida head coach job, wants the position and through back channels has been letting his interest be known.

Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy 'pursuing' Florida job, per report - SBNation.com

And he was very close to taking the Tennessee job:

Mike Gundy nearly left Oklahoma State for Tennessee, per CBS Sports

Mike Gundy nearly left Oklahoma State for Tennessee, per CBS Sports - SBNation.com

And best of all, he seems to hate T Boone:

Boone Pickens-Mike Gundy feud: Strained relationships seem to be the norm for Gundy these days
Who knows who’s to blame in the Boone Pickens-Mike Gundy feud, but this much we know: Gundy has alienated a lot more people than just Boone in recent years.

Boone Pickens-Mike Gundy feud: Strained relationships seem to be the norm for Gundy these days | News OK

I don't think Gundy to UM is realistic, but you make some very valid points.
Good work!

Also, as a UofMaryland alum, I can recall when Gundy and the current coach at Northwestern (Fitzgerald) were graduate assistants at UMd under
Ron VanderLinden. Dang, I feel old. LOL.

1. Jim Tressel

2. Tom Herman

3. Butch Davis

4. Justin Fuente

Lmao at Chud and Schiano getting mentioned.

IDK if you are trolling with Tressel but i do like him. I would put him on my list but i just don't see them even entertaining the thought.

Advertisement
Favorite List:

1. Hue Jackson
2. Tom Herman
3. Butch Davis
4. Charlie Strong

My **** No List:

1. Mario Cristobal
2. Greg Schiano
3. Chud
4. Mike Shula

@Everyone in this thread with Chud or Schiano on their list

Please explain what qualities they have that would make them a good fit as Miami football CEO.

I've explained my thoughts on Schiano to you before but as usual your opinion is the only thing that matters. My thoughts on Chud is that he's an offensive Xs and Os guy that could probably put together a very good offensive unit here. Has the respect of the cane alumni that matters in these types of decisions.

1. Herman
2. Butch
3. Fuente

Obviously, if a Gary Patterson or Chip Kelly is willing to listen, they shoot to the top of the list.

Herman, to me, is our best choice and the more you look at what he's done at UH (both offensively and defensively), he should be UM's top priority and by a wide margin.

Butch and Fuente would each be very good hires too, but I really like Herman's upside over those two.

Advertisement
Back