Coaching Preference Lists Record

I'm getting somewhat confused between comments against and for different potential head coaches. I think most posters want a discussion. But, it's not totally clear to me who are the specific preferences.

Can we place our CURRENT preferences in this thread? We can do a top 4 or 5.

I'll start:

1. Butch Davis
2. Tom Herman
3. Hue Jackson
4. Justin Fuente

I'm not going to get into the rationale(s) in the original thread. I think Tom Herman is potentially the best and most intriguing of the bunch. I don't have him as my top preference because of other alternatives/reasons/risks that ultimately add up to him not being the best fit for right now. Also, I didn't want to get into the speculation of Chip Kelly and some of those types of names. Yes, obviously those should be explored, if at all realistic.

What say you guys? Can we get a clear idea here? Yes, I get that some things will likely change.

Bottom line is this:
1) we will have a new coach in a few weeks
2) whomever it is, he won't be every Cane fans' no.1 or no.2 choice
3) he will have some favorable accomplishments on his resume
4) he will have some not-so-favorable attributes on his resume as he won't be a perfect
hire
5) only "perfect" hire would be Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh or maybe one or both
of Briles or Patterson.....and none of those cats will be the UM coach.

I just hope whomever it is who is hired at least gets the benefit of the doubt for at least 45 minutes before
he gets bannered in mid January.

Advertisement
1. Dan Mullen
2. Mike Gundy
3. Butch Davis
4. Tom Herman

Dan Mullen's a legit coach, but based on my previous experience with what he supposedly said and how we reacted, I don't think he's a realistic option here.

Gundy is an interesting name on the list. Have you done a profile on him?

I'm getting somewhat confused between comments against and for different potential head coaches. I think most posters want a discussion. But, it's not totally clear to me who are the specific preferences.

I'll start:

1. Butch Davis
2. Tom Herman
3. Hue Jackson
4. Justin Fuente

I'm not going to get into the rationale(s) in the original thread. I think Tom Herman is potentially the best and most intriguing of the bunch. I don't have him as my top preference because of other alternatives/reasons/risks that ultimately add up to him not being the best fit for right now. Also, I didn't want to get into the speculation of Chip Kelly and some of those types of names. Yes, obviously those should be explored, if at all realistic.

What say you guys? Can we get a clear idea here? Yes, I get that some things will likely change.

Bottom line is this:
4) he will have some not-so-favorable attributes on his resume as he won't be a perfect
hire
5) only "perfect" hire would be Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh or maybe one or both

I just hope whomever it is who is hired at least gets the benefit of the doubt for at least 45 minutes before

I'd roll with John Harbaugh, too. Ha.

As an aside, I think Ken Dorsey is a future Head Coach, by the way. Will be tracking his career very closely. Curious if you've heard any rumblings on your end or insight offered by anyone. I've asked a lot about him over the years and I'm interested what his next step will be. If he comes with Butch... obviously it's a risk. But, high ceiling.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Fuente
Herman
Babers
Brohm
Butch

hoprfully we at least call Patterson, Gundy and Hue Jackson (I don't know much about him but he's doing great things at Cincy and his personality seems like it would be a great fit for the college game). If Hue is still interested I would place him third instead of Babers

I'll start:

1. Butch Davis
2. Tom Herman
3. Hue Jackson
4. Justin Fuente

Bottom line is this:
hire

I'd roll with John Harbaugh, too.

As an aside, I think Ken Dorsey is a future Head Coach, by the way. Will be tracking his career very closely. Curious if you've heard any rumblings on your end or insight offered by anyone. I've asked a lot about him over the years and I'm interested what his next step will be. If he comes with Butch... obviously it's a risk. But, high ceiling.

Agree on Dorsey, but I would prefer he stays away from UM for the moment and - for his and UM's benefit - continue to hone his
craft elsewhere, under different coaches, systems,etc.
I say this for all former UM players who want to coach.

I'll start:

1. Butch Davis
2. Tom Herman
3. Hue Jackson
4. Justin Fuente

Bottom line is this:
hire

Agree on Dorsey, but I would prefer he stays away from UM for the moment and - for his and UM's benefit - continue to hone his

I don't know that you're gonna get your wish on this one. Result may be spectacular...or, disastrous.

Fuente
Herman
Babers
Brohm
Butch

hoprfully we at least call Patterson, Gundy and Hue Jackson (I don't know much about him but he's doing great things at Cincy and his personality seems like it would be a great fit for the college game). If Hue is still interested I would place him third instead of Babers

I really like Babers.
Been following him since his Eastern Illinois days.
I think he would be a nice fit at Coral Gables.
His defense was bad last year, but it has improved somewhat this season.

Advertisement

I'll start:

1. Butch Davis
2. Tom Herman
3. Hue Jackson
4. Justin Fuente

Bottom line is this:
hire

I don't know that you're gonna get your wish on this one. Result may be spectacular...or, disastrous.

I know.
Not a good idea.
Lots of good OCs out there if Butch lands the job.
I would rather we go with someone with a little experience in that dept.

Complete list:

1. Kelly
2. Malzahn
3. Patterson
4. Herman
5. Gundy
6. Fuente
7. Richt
8. Butch
9. Babers
10.Fedora
11.Venables
12.Pagano
13.Rich Rod
14.Schiano
15.Campbell

Realistic list:

1. Herman
2. Fuente
3. Butch
4. Babers
5. Venables

Where does the Hue love affair come from? The **** is wrong wit u ppl

Advertisement

I'll start:

1. Butch Davis
2. Tom Herman
3. Hue Jackson
4. Justin Fuente

Bottom line is this:
hire

he gets bannered in mid January

I lol'd

For his own reasons, Coach Jackson has legitimately reached out to us. Multiple times. He's likely going to be looked at as a potential NFL coach. He has good aspects. He has negative aspects (some of which I've talked about).

Perhaps break down his profile so we know what's "wrong" with considering him. The funny thing is HurricaneVision, whose posts I appreciate, likes your post. Yet, he has some college coordinators on his list. Odd stuff. Or, you have the option to get out of this thread. There are a dozen other threads where ***** is being flung around. Gonna try to keep this one clean. Thanks.

Advertisement

Why would we want the hottest coordinator in the league that's about to get offered nfl gigs?

An OC that's super respected for his offensive mind.

He's obviously not good enough for UM. Miami is a better job than a team in the highest level of football

My top four:

1. Herman
2. Butch - hopefully we have a long and serious discussion about coordinators, specifically getting really good ones if we go the Butch route
3. Fuente
4. Hue Jackson

Fuente is my top guy, but basically put these guys in any order:

Fuente
Brohm
Babers
Herman
Jackson

If you couldn't tell, I prefer an offensive coach.

Advertisement
Back