Coaching Failure in 2016

I don't consider it a failure - we finished way better than when we begun and finally won a bowl game. Kaaya was dealing once we abandoned the I-Formation crap. We had a 15 game winning streak leading into the next season before that awful Pitt game.

I think Richt is kinda underrated here because of how awful his last season went - but he had us at #2 in 2017 and nationally relevant.

Advertisement
Can someone explain to me how we went 8-4 in 2016? Looking back, that team had enough talent to go 10-2 or better.

This is prob the most underachieving team in the last 15 yrs. Not to say we had elite talent but this was a relatively talented team that should of beat FSU, ND, and UNC that year.

I wonder how our current staff with Cristobal would do with this roster?

QB - Kaaya was good enough
RB - Walton was electric
WR - Ahmon, Coley, Berrios - NFL players
TE - Njoku, Herndon - NFL players
OL - Avg but serviceable. - Scout Team
DE - Chad, Joe Jack, Trent - NFL players
DT - McIntosh, Norton - Drafted late
LB - Shaq, Pinckney - Shaq is borderline elite
CB- Corn, Mike Jack - NFL players
CB, Colbert, Redwine, M Young - NFL players
S - Rayshawn, J Carter, J Johnson - NFL players
Manny Díaz was the DC and Richt was the HC

OL was good enough. Too much talent to go 8-4.
The OLs have been awful year after year.

We should not expect a miracle in 2022 either (unless HC Super Mario brings in 10 OL transfers). If they can just improve to average/above average in short game stats, crown Mario/Mirabal with CoY honors.

With that said, watch how several O category metrics magically get significantly better once Mario has his OL recruits in-place and working in Y2-3-4.

Let’s slow down. They haven’t coached a game yet.

The 2016 staff looked pretty good on paper, too.

HC - Richt
OC - Brown
DC - Diaz

QB - Richt
RB - Brown
WR - Dugans
TE - Hartley
OL - Searles

DL - Kool
LB - Diaz
CB - Rumph
S - Banda
That initial Richt staff didnt look that great on paper. It looked average to me. There some good coaches there but nothing compared the staff Cristobal is putting together.

First year in a new regime. That’s mostly what it was imo. Even saban and Kirby had mediocre year 1s
I disagree. I remember the week of the FSU game that year. FSU was extremely vulnerable to the TE and we had not one but 2 excellent TEs in Njoku and Herndon. During that game we never once tried to exploit that weakness. Terrible gameplan. That was a huge red flag to me.

Advertisement
The OLs have been awful year after year.

We should not expect a miracle in 2022 either (unless HC Super Mario brings in 10 OL transfers). If they can just improve to average/above average in short game stats, crown Mario/Mirabal with CoY honors.

With that said, watch how several O category metrics magically get significantly better once Mario has his OL recruits in-place and working in Y2-3-4.
While I do agree with this I also think that a significant improvement in the OL in 2022 is not out of the question. I expect improvement just based on superior coaching/scheming and the improved S&C along with a radical culture change. I don't expect us to become the 49ers but I do expect improvement.

What happened is we got Richted...

We lost the FSU game we should've won due to Special Teams & then started the classic 4 game Richt slide. His teams here at Miami always teetered-tottered & never played consistently when it mattered most.

The Offensive line was abysmal, Seashells had Nick Linder at Center & he was literally doing the splits vs Va Tech, then KC McDermott was also a disaster at LG. The entire line played musical chairs...

The UNC game was a horrendous foreshadowing of what the Richt Offense would eventually become. We couldn’t move the ball & every offensive drive we had stalled out that game, only scored 13 points.

During the 4 game losing streak the Offense was struck with 3 out disease, extremely pedestrian subpar playcalling from Richt & failure to utilize the strengths of the team.

Then of course the Notre Dame game... Eventually Seashells figured out that Gall/Gauthier needed to be injected in the OL in order for us to actually move the ball.

Then for Pitt, UVA, NC St, Duke & West Va Richt finally decided to realize that Kaaya hated the RPO & played more no huddle uptempo which lead to the Offense playing up to their capabilities, putting the ball in Ahmmon's hands more often & using Njoku a lot more.

Vs UVA, NC St & Duke the Defense got it's confidence back & was playing at a high level as well, Malek Young also came on late towards the end of the season & showed flashes of how good he would be giving us a preview of his 2017 season.

I can't remember for the life of me if we ever looked at bringing a portal kid the spring after Kaaya left ...or why we didn't look for a portal kid to come in and bring some heat...a hungry upperclassman..

I remember that we had Malik Rosier and we had just signed Perry who was a Freshman, but I don't remember any chatter or talk about us bringing in a more established QB to at least add another body at QB or to add some competition/depth.

I know a lot of folks weren't really high on Rosier to begin with and it was always odd that the coaches were compelled to roll with that selection of QB's for the season.

I can't remember for the life of me if we ever looked at bringing a portal kid the spring after Kaaya left ...or why we didn't look for a portal kid to come in and bring some heat...a hungry upperclassman..

I remember that we had Malik Rosier and we had just signed Perry who was a Freshman, but I don't remember any chatter or talk about us bringing in a more established QB to at least add another body at QB or to add some competition/depth.

I know a lot of folks weren't really high on Rosier to begin with and it was always odd that the coaches were compelled to roll with that selection of QB's for the season.
There was no portal at the time. They could have tried to lure a transfer but the only players who could have been immediately eligible were grad transfers. There was no one time immediate eligibility rule yet.

There was no portal at the time. They could have tried to lure a transfer but the only players who could have been immediately eligible were grad transfers. There was no one time immediate eligibility rule yet.

Right. A transfer. Not an actual portal kid.

Just really strange we never went down that avenue and explored bringing anyone in.

Advertisement
I went back and looked at the stats of those 4 losses.

The first 2 could not run the football and FSU had Cook. Could not stop him.

The ND game Brad did not have the best of nights.

The VT game I think Brad got sacked like 9 times.

So looking at the stats it looks like the offense could not get going in those games.
Yeah imagine a Diaz defense having a hard time stopping the run

It's also worth noting that our 2015 team was mentally beaten down. You cannot change culture that much, that quickly.
Very underrated post here. The morale of the fanbase was in the toilet too because of the "Butch Davis" offseason. Fanbase was split as to how that was handled.. Richt had alot of crap to deal with coming into that season.

I am hoping this current team isnt as mentally broken and can trust in Mario and this staff. The talent is there for us to win 9-10 games easily. This past years team was basically a 9 win team if you take the UVA and FSU last second brain freezes off the books. (but then again, maybe I dont because that would probably mean Manny got another year and none of this great fortune we are witnessing would have happened.)

Right. A transfer. Not an actual portal kid.

Just really strange we never went down that avenue and explored bringing anyone in.
We were so weird about quarterback depth here for a long time. Instead of bringing in guys every year to compete we just kind of signed one dude and anointed him the starter. With no backup plans, we ended up with guys like Stephen Morris and Malik Rosier as multi year starters. Those guys were never brought in for that.

Your post did get me curious as to what options we had and honestly there wasn’t a ton of grad transfer quarterbacks that were impact players. The biggest names on the market were Max Browne who ended up at Pitt and Malik Zaire who ended up playing in two games for Florida.

I don't consider it a failure - we finished way better than when we begun and finally won a bowl game. Kaaya was dealing once we abandoned the I-Formation crap. We had a 15 game winning streak leading into the next season before that awful Pitt game.

I think Richt is kinda underrated here because of how awful his last season went - but he had us at #2 in 2017 and nationally relevant.
Fans want to wipe 2017 off the books because of how the season ended but those back to back home games against VT and ND was the most electric and fun I have seen this city be since the "Big 3" with the Heat and the most electric/fun at a UM game since probably 2001 against Washington. You cant just erase those kinds of memories and Richt was apart of that. The city was on fire and everyone rallied around UM. (especially since the Dolphins, Marlins, Heat and Panthers were all pretty bad and unbelievably boring to watch that season as well. Horrible season to be a fan of any of those pro teams)

That said, I am looking forward to Mario giving us those same memories as well because I know he can do it.

Advertisement
Kaaya cost us the FSU game, we were up 13-3 early in the 3rd quarter with a first down inside FSU's 15 and he threw a terrible pick in the endzone. Even a FG there makes it 16-3, we have all the momentum in the world, and probably win. A TD makes it 20-3 and it's almost definitely a wrap. But that pick gave them life, they scored on the ensuing drive, and wound up winning the game. A really dumb, unnecessary interception to a completely blanketed receiver.

UNC the next week was the patented Miami collapse after losing to FSU.

VT we were decimated by injuries on the lines and really had no chance.

And then ND we forgot to show up again, I was at that game, I think it was 20-0 before we realized we had gotten off the bus.

Too many injuries exposing the lack of depth, poor leadership, costly mistakes at the most critical of times. Pretty much a microcosm of the last 20 years.

We were so weird about quarterback depth here for a long time. Instead of bringing in guys every year to compete we just kind of signed one dude and anointed him the starter. With no backup plans, we ended up with guys like Stephen Morris and Malik Rosier as multi year starters. Those guys were never brought in for that.

Your post did get me curious as to what options we had and honestly there wasn’t a ton of grad transfer quarterbacks that were impact players. The biggest names on the market were Max Browne who ended up at Pitt and Malik Zaire who ended up playing in two games for Florida.

I remember Malik Zaire. That kid was All Everything coming out of Ohio when he was recruited for Notre Dame. What a bust he ended up being.

we ended up with guys like Stephen Morris and Malik Rosier as multi year starters. Those guys were never brought in for that.

Morris wasn't bad here. Fish leaving for the Jags job screwed up His development, Morris finished 2012 as one of the hottest QBs in the Country.

Advertisement
Morris wasn't bad here. Fish leaving for the Jags job screwed up His development, Morris finished 2012 as one of the hottest QBs in the Country.
Morris was OK. He did some things well and was terrible at others. He seemed lot better than he really was because we've generally had poor quarterback play for most of the 21st century. When he signed with Miami, nobody was saying "he's the future at quarterback". He was a local 3 star kid who was viewed as a bit of a project.

He finished his Miami career as a 57% passer with 49 TDS and 30 INTS. His career passer rating of 137.8 would have placed him 64th in the nation in 2021. He had a huge arm and above average athleticism but for every 50 yard dime, he'd throw a screen pass in the dirt.

Hmmmm, hold on my brotha. I think u’re misremembering things from 2016.

-Walton put up over 1300 total scrimmage yrds w/ 15 TDs, including 1100+ rushing in 2016. Homer only had 44 total yrds in 2016. Lol

Regardless of how you feel about Walton, he was bad during those 4 straight losses in 2016.

1645541085349.png

Walton was was obviously outplayed by Yearby in 4 straight games - GT thru VT.

Walton in 2016 had the worst 5 game stretch of any Miami RB other than Javarris James in 2007.

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me how we went 8-4 in 2016? Looking back, that team had enough talent to go 10-2 or better.

This is prob the most underachieving team in the last 15 yrs. Not to say we had elite talent but this was a relatively talented team that should of beat FSU, ND, and UNC that year.

I wonder how our current staff with Cristobal would do with this roster?

QB - Kaaya was good enough
RB - Walton was electric
WR - Ahmon, Coley, Berrios - NFL players
TE - Njoku, Herndon - NFL players
OL - Avg but serviceable. - Scout Team
DE - Chad, Joe Jack, Trent - NFL players
DT - McIntosh, Norton - Drafted late
LB - Shaq, Pinckney - Shaq is borderline elite
CB- Corn, Mike Jack - NFL players
CB, Colbert, Redwine, M Young - NFL players
S - Rayshawn, J Carter, J Johnson - NFL players
"OL - Avg but serviceable. - Scout Team"

A lot of you guys still don't get it, but you will soon enough.

Regardless of how you feel about Walton, he was bad during those 4 straight losses in 2016.

View attachment 178385

Walton was was obviously outplayed by Yearby in 4 straight games - GT thru VT.

Walton in 2016 had the worst 5 game stretch of any Miami RB other than Javarris James in 2007.

I mentioned that when responding to a poster blaming only Kaaya for losses. lol

Advertisement
Back