Coaching Failure in 2016

Advertisement
Really disagree on Walton. Walton was better a rb than Homer.

Which one made the NFL? Walton was starting games before getting arrested.

I'll walk back my comments on Mark Walton to an extent. I did not remember that he was a 4th round draft pick. His NFL career was extremely short (one season w/the Bengals where he only got 14 carries and 4 games for the 0-4 Fins before getting released, but he did make it to the league.

That said, I remember catching big schitt on this board back then for saying Homer was the better back. I was the original Homer homer. lol. I do stand by my opinion that Homer was the better back. His NFL career gives me good ammo to this effect.

Hmmmm, hold on my brotha. I think u’re misremembering things from 2016.

-Kaaya was pretty dog on good in 2016. 3500+yrds passing on 62% w/ 27 TDs to 7 ints? That’s pretty good.

-Walton put up over 1300 total scrimmage yrds w/ 15 TDs, including 1100+ rushing in 2016. Homer only had 44 total yrds in 2016. Lol

-U r correct about Berrios, that’s b/c we had Coley, and some guy named Richards. Berrios was seldom used. Malcolm Lewis was the 3rd wide out.

U’re also forgetting how great Njoku was this season.

Again, I'll walk back my comments on Mark Walton to an extent (see post #62). The Kaaya numbers dont really prove anything as the team went 8-4, which is the topic of this thread. Kaaya never displayed any ability to move the ball in critical situations. Things to dont show up in the stat lines like him throwing the ball away on 3rd down with regularity. Sometimes a QB has to force something in there and allow an athlete to make a great catch. Kaaya NEVER did that. He was exceptional at hitting open receivers but nothing more. Never found a way to move the chains with his feet, never extended plays with his feet, etc... I stand by my opinion that he was a high level passer with zero moxie.

Others have noted the misuse of the Wide Receiver corp by Richt's offense.

Advertisement
Not a coaching failure at all. We had a rash of injuries, especially on the DL IIRC, in the middle of the season and lost 4 straight. 2 were close games to good teams. VT blew us out and IIRC they ended up in the top 15. The worst was a close loss to a bad ND team. We actually were 9-4 with an impressive bowl win over a very good WV team. Definitely had the talent to go 11-2, but if that talent isn't on the field, ain't gonna happen.

You had to get rid of the stench of Golden. Golden's teams were weak minded like he was. They were notorious for those losing streaks after losing to FSU.

Do you think Cristobal and his staff would have did more with the 2016 team?
No. Mario’s strength is recruiting, not game day coaching. I would expect similar results with Mario during the transition. An underperforming OL will make any talent look bad on offense. Richt was installing an RPO system and that line was not doing the team any favors.

We came close to beating ND, UNC and FSU, but fell short. It was a transition year.

Also, don’t sell WVU short. They had a decent team and a decent season.

The 2016 year was coming off of a 8-5 season and you are complaining about 9-4 with the first bowl win in over a decade?

Advertisement
No. Mario’s strength is recruiting, not game day coaching. I would expect similar results with Mario during the transition. An underperforming OL will make any talent look bad on offense. Richt was installing an RPO system and that line was not doing the team any favors.

We came close to beating ND, UNC and FSU, but fell short. It was a transition year.

Also, don’t sell WVU short. They had a decent team and a decent season.

The 2016 year was coming off of a 8-5 season and you are complaining about 9-4 with the first bowl win in over a decade?
I get the OL and injuries played a factor but 8-4 is still not acceptable. I really think FSU and ND games came down to coaching. I was at the FSU, UNC, and ND games that year.

I get the OL and injuries played a factor but 8-4 is still not acceptable. I really think FSU and ND games came down to coaching. I was at the FSU, UNC, and ND games that year.
Next season Richt swept the season until the final game. With Rosier. Malik Rosier. Richt got fired after a 10 win season in 2015. Came to Miami and won 9 after Golden’s 8 win season with mostly the same starters.The coaching in 2016 was an upgrade, but installing a new system on offense and defense will have adjustments. The team got better later in the season as the players adapted.

We haven’t developed talent. This roster has been good enough for 11-18 every single year in the rankings but we just never developed these kids into anything. This new staff and the S&C program is going to make these kids take sizable leaps

Can someone explain to me how we went 8-4 in 2016? Looking back, that team had enough talent to go 10-2 or better.

This is prob the most underachieving team in the last 15 yrs. Not to say we had elite talent but this was a relatively talented team that should of beat FSU, ND, and UNC that year.

I wonder how our current staff with Cristobal would do with this roster?

QB - Kaaya was good enough
RB - Walton was electric
WR - Ahmon, Coley, Berrios - NFL players
TE - Njoku, Herndon - NFL players
OL - Avg but serviceable. - Scout Team
DE - Chad, Joe Jack, Trent - NFL players
DT - McIntosh, Norton - Drafted late
LB - Shaq, Pinckney - Shaq is borderline elite
CB- Corn, Mike Jack - NFL players
CB, Colbert, Redwine, M Young - NFL players
S - Rayshawn, J Carter, J Johnson - NFL players
Depth. We had 27 blue chip players on the 2016 team - by comparison we're at 48 going into 2022. Ahmon was also a true freshman.

Also three of those four losses were close. Really close.

FSU (1 pt)
UNC (7 pts)
Notre Dame (3 pts)

Other macro factor was Richt not seeming to tailor his offense around Kayaa's strength. Too much RPO.

Advertisement
Some thoughts.

* Kaaya was a good QB but he lacked a winner's mindset. He was a swinger not a hitter.
* Walton was far from electric. He was serviceable at best. The running game really took off when he got hurt and Travis Homer became the starter. Which one made the NFL?
* Berrios was a late bloomer who had not yet bloomed in 2016.
Walton was in the NFL and performing decently til injuries and mental health issues derailed his career.

Richt was stubborn in his play calling and adjusted to Kayaa playing style a little late but to call 2016 a coaching failure is tough.

2014 - 6-7
2015 - 8-5
2016 - 9-4
2017 - 10-3

In Richt first year, he continued the winning progress of the team that you normal don’t see in year 1 with a new coaches. We all thought Kayaa was better than he really was, our best WR/LB were true freshman. Searles was legit the coaching failure of 2016. Searles was/is garbage and had the Oline looking completely trash and to this day I don’t understand how he has a job. The defense was playing in a new scheme.

I think Richt did a **** of a job because we were basically in every game(except VT) unlike the years before and it started to become fun watch Hurricane football, instead of being ****ed off from the start of kick off in the Golden era

Advertisement
I remember thinking this team had a lot of potential but we lost Muhammad, Grace, and Juwon Young prior to that season with the car rental scandal.

Not saying having them would've gotten us to 10 wins but Muhammad and Grace were talented guys at the college level that have hung around the NFL. They probably would've pretty productive players in the Diaz defense. And Juwon Young at the very least looked better at MLB than Kirby did in 2015 and would've given Shaq some competition at the Mike spot.

Lots of other issues still on the team that others have pointed out though so maybe they still would've been an 8-9 win team.

It's also worth noting that our 2015 team was mentally beaten down. You cannot change culture that much, that quickly.

If this was complete truth I would like this post.

We may have better recruiting rankings and more drafted players, but how many years the last couple decades have we dominated teams in both trenches and at qb? I don’t think there’s been one year where we’ve had an advantage with all three. You’re beatable by anyone in conference if you’re mediocre at any one of those three.

Advertisement
Back