Coaching change

“Another year” usually never works and delays the inevitable. How long will being a mid tier ACC team keep being good enough? Why can’t we expect more?
Just one of many questions. Why don't we have a loud and raucous, fully-packed arena (instead of a half-full Watsco) even when we have top quality teams? Why did we sit Dewan when other schools allowed their players (in the same boat) to play? Why can't we afford to pay more for Asst Coaches? Why can't we afford to do needed upgrades to coaches offices without Athletic Dept angst?

Advertisement
Chris Beard just took bum**** Texas Tech to the Final Four. Lets not act like it's impossible for a non blue blood to attract a young energetic coach that can tap into the potential of a program.

That's a really nice one year sample size you got there.

Flukes happen.

South Carolina went to a Final Four in Frank Martin's only NCAA appearance in 7 seasons.

Means nothing.

Advertisement
Pump your brakes, Coach L has spoken. https://miami.rivals.com/news/opinion-40-unforgettable-minutes-with-jim-larranaga

Some people have a tendency to forget that. There was common debate on the Internet through the 2018-19 season over whether the disappointing year would inspire the 69-year-old coach to retire.

Larranaga, who has five years left on his contract, laughs at that notion.

"The only ones who don't want to win immediately are the NBA teams who want to lose a lot so they can get a high draft choice," Larranaga said. "Next year will still be a challenge for us, but we should be improved. The following year, we should be back to where we were."

He plans to coach out every second of his current deal, which would make him 74 at the possible conclusion of his career.

"If Miami will have me," he said. "I like what I do. I like being around the players. I am energized. I like listening to them, I like the interaction, I like hanging with them, I like teaching them and seeing them get better. The games are much more difficult because winning is better than losing.

"Jim Calhoun left Connecticut and two years later was back coaching Division 3. Why? Because it's our passion, something we love doing. It is something we feel we do pretty well. "

With that, Larranaga rose from the couch. There was a 2021 recruit out in the arena waiting to take a picture in uniform with the coach.

"There is nothing you can do," Larranaga said again as he marched out the door.

"I'm not retiring."

The young recruit left the building moments later with picture proof of that.

Coach L is already working on the 2021 recruiting class so he has no plans on leaving and I am fine with that.

GO CANES.

IMO, there's a 98% chance a coaching change would NOT benefit the program. The 2% would be if we could get a coach who is truly a "master recruiter" along the lines of Pitino or Calipari. And, if we can't afford a needed upgrade to the basketball coaches offices, we sure can't afford them!

Advertisement
Truthfully, most head coaches don't actually recruit. The assistant coaches start the recruiting process and the head coach close the deal as he has final say.

Truthfully, most head coaches don't actually recruit. The assistant coaches start the recruiting process and the head coach close the deal as he has final say.
Unless they had the same assistants throughout their careers (they didn't) a lot of pretty great recruiting happened on Pitino's and Calipari's watches, at any number of schools. So, I think they get the bulk of the credit.

Advertisement
L is the best coach the University of Miami has ever had, and I've seen every UM coach back to the Bruce Hale days in the early 60s. Are there better options out there? Yes, but not for the salary and assistants' budget and facilities we're willing to pay for.

So, we have at least two more years of losing before Coach L expects to win......I want to vomit.

I could be wrong but as I read the article, Coach L feels stronger about his roster 2 years from now when Chris Lykes is a senior along with a few other players (McGusty, Miller and Waardenberg).

I do agree with you that the Canes need to win next season (meaning NCAA tournament appearance) and I feel they will as long as they have 13 active scholarship players on the roster. I hope Coach L does not go the regular transfer route because he feels it takes someone to learn his system.

I could be wrong but as I read the article, Coach L feels stronger about his roster 2 years from now when Chris Lykes is a senior along with a few other players (McGusty, Miller and Waardenberg).

I do agree with you that the Canes need to win next season (meaning NCAA tournament appearance) and I feel they will as long as they have 13 active scholarship players on the roster. I hope Coach L does not go the regular transfer route because he feels it takes someone to learn his system.
This whole "we NEED 13 players" thing is overblown. We can easily win with 11 or 12 guys. I think you are overreacting a bit to this year's lack of depth issue.
1 guy was held out by the NCAA
1 guy was kicked off the team
1 guy redshirted
1 guy had a knee injury
That's a lot of fluky events. Now granted, I agree we would've been better served to use all our scholarships, but if it was with another Anthony Mack type of talent, it wouldn't have helped anyway.

Advertisement
Buzz Williams to TAMU. Now, that's some good news! Kevin Willard from Seton Hall is #1 VT target to replace Buzz.

This whole "we NEED 13 players" thing is overblown. We can easily win with 11 or 12 guys. I think you are overreacting a bit to this year's lack of depth issue.
1 guy redshirted
1 guy had a knee injury
That's a lot of fluky events. Now granted, I agree we would've been better served to use all our scholarships, but if it was with another Anthony Mack type of talent, it wouldn't have helped anyway.

I agree with you on some points. Last year was a situation where everything that could go wrong went wrong. But, that is why we have insurance. So we have coverage in the event a disaster happens.

Last year, we started with 11 and ended with 7. 2 more guys could have been the difference between 14 wins and 18 wins as most of our losses came due to the team running out of gas down the stretch of games.

13 is a lot and I am not saying you have to play all 13 every game. I am just saying that 13 scholars players gives you more flexibility in case you want to redshirt a player, someone gets injure or, someone gets kicked off the team.

1 guy redshirted
1 guy had a knee injury
That's a lot of fluky events.

A few things:

1. 3 of the 4 above happen all the time.

- Players getting injured is common in basketball
- Players redshirtting is also common too
- Since Coach L has been here , the following players have transferred out/left or been booted:

- Gilmore
- Palmer
- Lecomte
- Sherman
- Daniels
- Burnett
- J. Kelly
- Muhammad
- Wilson

That is more than ~1.125 ships gone per season. It should be expected, not just at Miami, that kids are going to leave before/during the season.

Please note that when you add Mack, the number increases to 1.25 ships gone per season.

Now the Dewan stuff is "fluky" but the other things are common and to be expected. Look at last season (2017-18), the following happened:

A. Redshirt #1: Gak
B. Redshirt #2: Wilson (due to transfer)
C. Serious Injury: Brown

A and B happened before the season started and these are reasons to fill the class. The goal is to mitigate and risk (the unknown) and filling the class is a way to do that.

2. There have been obvious roster management issues for awhile. Also, we're not really starting the season with 11 or 12 ships who are "active".

[Here is an older post I had]

We haven't filled our class (with recruits and transfers) in a long time. I don't remember the last time we went into the summer using all 13 scholarships. I think the last time we started a season with 11 "active" players was 2014-15.

(Active/Total Ships Used)

2018-19: 9/11 (McGusty is sitting out and Miller is redshirting)
2017-18: 10/12 (Wilson sat out and Gak redshirted)
2016-17: 9/11* (Gilmore sat out but was kicked out of school during the season)
2015-16: 10/11 (Muhammad sat out)
2014-15: 11/12 (Murphy sat out)

*Waardenburg sat out 2016-17 but arrived late. He is included in the numbers even though he sat and redshirted.

In addition, it isn't like everyone on scholarship is the best use of a scholarship. We've had kids do essentially nothing over their tenure. Perhaps we shouldn't keep a kid on scholarship that long if they're "useless". I understand that every kid won't be a great player for us and some may be depth. The problem is some of these kids shouldn't be on scholarship to begin with. Being inefficient hurts even more when you're using less than 13 ships to begin with.

3. This makes no sense...

Now granted, I agree we would've been better served to use all our scholarships, but if it was with another Anthony Mack type of talent, it wouldn't have helped anyway.

It is better to have someone over no one as long as they're not cancerous.

That is why you do one of the following:

A. Look for fillers in the off-season. Instead of taking an Anthony Mack, take a player like Joe Thomas. Get a grad transfer who can actually play for 5-10 MPGs who will actually compete. Someone who is just happy to get burn and can play a little. There is no real risk in taking a player like this because they're gone after one season.

B. Take chances on more local prospects. Remember Neftali Alvarez? Local kid from Miami Christian HS.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4398075/neftali-alvarez

Neftali Alvarez joins the Fairfield University men's basketball program after last season at Miami Christian where he helped the school capture two state titles. In his junior season, Alvarez netted the game-winning three pointer in the first of those titles. He averaged a double-double last season with 27 points and 11 assists per game which caused the Miami Herald to select him as the 5A-1A Player of the Year. He was one of nine finalists for Florida's Mr. Basketball award, an honor bestowed to the top player in the state. He also garnered All-State honors both as a junior and as a senior.

Instead of going for Anthony Mack, take the local kid. Maybe you can convince him to redshirt. Maybe he just wants to compete.

Last edited:
Last year was a situation where everything that could go wrong went wrong. But, that is why we have insurance. So we have coverage in the event a disaster happens.

Exactly. I don't understand why this is controversial either. Obviously the Dewan stuff is an outlier but everything else (e.g. injuries, transfers/kids being thrown out of school and redshirts) are common.

In 2018-19, we started the season with 11 scholarships being used but only 9 were "active" (McGusty was sitting out and Miller redshirtted). Then we lost Gak to an injury and Dewan had his thing. At best we knew we had 9 "active" scholarships and that was before a game was played.

Even though the Dewan stuff was an outlier, how about 2017-18? In 2017-18, we started the season with 12 scholarships being used but only 10 were "active" (Wilson sat out and Gak redshirtted). Then we lost Brown to an injury but at best we had 10 to start the season.

Last year, we started with 11 and ended with 7. 2 more guys could have been the difference between 14 wins and 18 wins as most of our losses came due to the team running out of gas down the stretch of games.

Exactly. We lost 6 games by 5 points or less.

13 is a lot and I am not saying you have to play all 13 every game. I am just saying that 13 scholars players gives you more flexibility in case you want to redshirt a player, someone gets injure or, someone gets kicked off the team.

Exactly.

Advertisement
Back