Coaching change

coach l makes 2 million. you act like we are paying nothing. we can afford 2.5-3 mil. bruce pearl makes 2.6. we can get smart if he fails at texas.
Shaka has done more with less than just about any coach in America. He's had loaded rosters every year and has won 20 games exactly 1 time.

Advertisement
I live in Austin and Shaka is absolutely awful. VCU has been a cradle of coaches but each one of them has flopped (Capel, Anthony Grant, Shaka) or is now in a **** storm (Will Wade). Ironically, I could see Smart being a target at VT if/when Buzz gets the TAMU job.

Incidentally, Buzz leaving Blacksburg would be great for us as he's been a pain in our asses since he's been there.
Wasn't he the coach of Marquette that eliminated one Miami's better NCAA teams?

Advertisement
If you go on the Gamecock message board they are in full meltdown about Martin. He has some support but most are greatly disappointed.
FM would be in over his head in the ACC.

Last edited:
Mike Young only makes $250K at wofford

Hire the man

Or if we have big balls—Rick Pitino

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yes, I know, UM is dying to hire a coach with personal, ethical and NCAA baggage.
Just what UM is looking for after the last 10 years or so.
These posts are amazing.
Totally tone deaf of history.
How long have you been following UM hoops?
Long enough to know that we haven't really done anything since Leonard Hamilton left for the NBA.

No disrespect to what anyone has said previous to this comment. Coach L and his staff deserve a year or two to get Miami back to the NCAA tournament.

I feel as long as they have 13 scholarship players on the roster next season, Miami will be back in the NCAA tournament.

Do they need to make some changes, yes but small changes. A better non-conference schedule and they need 13 scholarship players on the roster. This coaching staff does a great job of evaluating talent so let's see how this Summer and upcoming year play out before we start posting a vacancy sign over the head basketball coaches office.

Just my opinion.

GO CANES.

Advertisement
Chris Beard just took bum**** Texas Tech to the Final Four. Lets not act like it's impossible for a non blue blood to attract a young energetic coach that can tap into the potential of a program.

We have great facilities, location, NBA players constantly coming to practice, and recent success. Okay I get the FBI thing, but no other program seemed to be affected as much by it, only us. At some point that has to stop being an excuse for their inability to close on recruits. Starting to sound like Golden and the cloud.

Love what Larranaga did, but if he can't get it righted and bring in a legit class next year, then it's time to move on and bring in someone who rejuvenates the program again. Because what we saw this year was a team that was dead, next year isn't looking that much better either by the way. But he's earned the right to fix it somehow.

Last edited:
No disrespect to what anyone has said previous to this comment. Coach L and his staff deserve a year or two to get Miami back to the NCAA tournament.

I feel as long as they have 13 scholarship players on the roster next season, Miami will be back in the NCAA tournament.

Do they need to make some changes, yes but small changes. A better non-conference schedule and they need 13 scholarship players on the roster. This coaching staff does a great job of evaluating talent so let's see how this Summer and upcoming year play out before we start posting a vacancy sign over the head basketball coaches office.

Just my opinion.

GO CANES.
20 ACC games next year, the ACC Big Ten challenge and a tough field in Orlando next season, no need to worry about our OOC schedule.

Advertisement
As it stands, I'm willing to give Larranaga one more season to right the ship. We bring back Lykes, DJ, Mack, Sam and with Gak and Miller rejoining the mix coming off of redshirts and injuries. Add in Kam McGusty and that's a decent 7 man core before you even include the 2 freshman and 1-2 impact transfers/other freshman. If all of the above comes to fruition, we are a mid-tier ACC team, which usually will put you in a pretty good spot come tourney time.

If we can't add to our roster with the probe behind us and make it back to the tourney, it will be time to move on.

As it stands, I'm willing to give Larranaga one more season to right the ship. We bring back Lykes, DJ, Mack, Sam and with Gak and Miller rejoining the mix coming off of redshirts and injuries. Add in Kam McGusty and that's a decent 7 man core before you even include the 2 freshman and 1-2 impact transfers/other freshman. If all of the above comes to fruition, we are a mid-tier ACC team, which usually will put you in a pretty good spot come tourney time.

If we can't add to our roster with the probe behind us and make it back to the tourney, it will be time to move on.
“Another year” usually never works and delays the inevitable. How long will being a mid tier ACC team keep being good enough? Why can’t we expect more?

Advertisement
Back