Coaching change

A few things:

1. 3 of the 4 above happen all the time.

- Players getting injured is common in basketball
- Players redshirtting is also common too
- Since Coach L has been here , the following players have transferred out/left or been booted:

- Gilmore
- Palmer
- Lecomte
- Sherman
- Daniels
- Burnett
- J. Kelly
- Muhammad
- Wilson

That is more than ~1.125 ships gone per season. It should be expected, not just at Miami, that kids are going to leave before/during the season.

Please note that when you add Mack, the number increases to 1.25 ships gone per season.

Now the Dewan stuff is "fluky" but the other things are common and to be expected. Look at last season (2017-18), the following happened:

A. Redshirt #1: Gak
B. Redshirt #2: Wilson (due to transfer)
C. Serious Injury: Brown

A and B happened before the season started and these are reasons to fill the class. The goal is to mitigate and risk (the unknown) and filling the class is a way to do that.

2. There have been obvious roster management issues for awhile. Also, we're not really starting the season with 11 or 12 ships who are "active".

[Here is an older post I had]

We haven't filled our class (with recruits and transfers) in a long time. I don't remember the last time we went into the summer using all 13 scholarships. I think the last time we started a season with 11 "active" players was 2014-15.

(Active/Total Ships Used)

2018-19: 9/11 (McGusty is sitting out and Miller is redshirting)
2017-18: 10/12 (Wilson sat out and Gak redshirted)
2016-17: 9/11* (Gilmore sat out but was kicked out of school during the season)
2015-16: 10/11 (Muhammad sat out)
2014-15: 11/12 (Murphy sat out)

*Waardenburg sat out 2016-17 but arrived late. He is included in the numbers even though he sat and redshirted.

In addition, it isn't like everyone on scholarship is the best use of a scholarship. We've had kids do essentially nothing over their tenure. Perhaps we shouldn't keep a kid on scholarship that long if they're "useless". I understand that every kid won't be a great player for us and some may be depth. The problem is some of these kids shouldn't be on scholarship to begin with. Being inefficient hurts even more when you're using less than 13 ships to begin with.

3. This makes no sense...

It is better to have someone over no one as long as they're not cancerous.

That is why you do one of the following:

A. Look for fillers in the off-season. Instead of taking an Anthony Mack, take a player like Joe Thomas. Get a grad transfer who can actually play for 5-10 MPGs who will actually compete. Someone who is just happy to get burn and can play a little. There is no real risk in taking a player like this because they're gone after one season.

B. Take chances on more local prospects. Remember Neftali Alvarez? Local kid from Miami Christian HS.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4398075/neftali-alvarez

Neftali Alvarez joins the Fairfield University men's basketball program after last season at Miami Christian where he helped the school capture two state titles. In his junior season, Alvarez netted the game-winning three pointer in the first of those titles. He averaged a double-double last season with 27 points and 11 assists per game which caused the Miami Herald to select him as the 5A-1A Player of the Year. He was one of nine finalists for Florida's Mr. Basketball award, an honor bestowed to the top player in the state. He also garnered All-State honors both as a junior and as a senior.

Instead of going for Anthony Mack, take the local kid. Maybe you can convince him to redshirt. Maybe he just wants to compete.
I played basketball at the varsity level in South Florida, and while I agree that it isn't exactly a hotbed of high school hoops recruiting, how many local kids have we actually signed under Larranaga? The answer is 3 (Tonye Jekiri, Deandre Burnett and Huell). While you can argue all you want about quality of competition, that is completely unacceptable for a metro area like South Florida.

Advertisement
B. Take chances on more local prospects. Remember Neftali Alvarez? Local kid from Miami Christian HS.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4398075/neftali-alvarez

Neftali Alvarez joins the Fairfield University men's basketball program after last season at Miami Christian where he helped the school capture two state titles. In his junior season, Alvarez netted the game-winning three pointer in the first of those titles. He averaged a double-double last season with 27 points and 11 assists per game which caused the Miami Herald to select him as the 5A-1A Player of the Year. He was one of nine finalists for Florida's Mr. Basketball award, an honor bestowed to the top player in the state. He also garnered All-State honors both as a junior and as a senior.

Instead of going for Anthony Mack, take the local kid. Maybe you can convince him to redshirt. Maybe he just wants to compete.
[/QUOTE]

I have wondered the same thing about the entire state of Florida. Dewan and Anthony are the only two players from the State of Florida to enroll at Miami as freshman. The problem is that the state of Florida produces 10 to 15 high major Division 1 kids per year not including the kids at IMG or Montverde. Vernon Carey Jr and CJ Walker were not the only 4 and 5 star kids in the state of Florida in 2019.

I like how the staff recruits the DC area, Philadelphia and international kids recently but they are dropping the ball when it comes to kids from the state of Florida.

I agree with you 100%. I am not buying that 20 kids want to leave the state of Florida every year.
And those are the easiest ones to recruit.

I agree with you 100%. I am not buying the excuse that 20 kids want to leave the state of Florida every year.

The following has nothing to do with us, per se.

I don't know what Mick Cronin was actually paid at UC, maybe UCLA doubled his salary. Obviously UCLA is a more prestigious gig (understatement). But I was somewhat surprised that he left. The guy was born in Cincinnati, went to college at UC, coached HS in Cincinnati, was an assistant at UC and was the HC at UC for 13 seasons. For someone who is 47 YO, the guy essentially has been in the state 40+ years. I am not claiming that being from Cincinnati and coaching where you went is the end all, just saying it is somewhat shocking he left now. There had to be numerous other offers along the way. I wonder how hard Cincinnati tried to keep him. I wonder if he thinks Cincinnati hit a ceiling.

Then there is Eric Musselman going to Arkansas. Somewhat of a shocker that he would go to a program like that. Not saying that Arkansas is a bad program but...it is Arkansas. Enjoy Fayetteville. Somewhat shocking that this is the offer he took. I have to imagine there were other offers too.

Fred Hoiberg going to Nebraska was interesting. Sure, he was born there (in-state) but he moved to Iowa and went to Iowa State. Nebraska went to the NCAAT once since 2000. Like Musselman, somewhat shocking that this is the offer he took. I have to imagine there were other offers too.

Advertisement
Look, Coach L was not a lazy hire, he was vetted by a very reputable headhunters. All of which was on the downlow, which is how they roll. Blake James did that. No reason to think that any coach on yalls lists that’s worth a ****, won’t get the same vetting. It worked.

Your argument is that Blake James, the ticket guy (he was not hired as AD until 2013) was in charge of the basketball coaching search in 2011?

Riiiight...

Ok just so you can put your dislike for James aside for a moment, I’ll say this clearly. Blake James is who brought Coach L to Miami. He hired the headhunters, a top company I might add, that vetted Coach L and negotiated the process. Quietly, which is their modus operandi. If y’all don’t understand how this process works,stfu.

None of this happened.

The Mas brothers met Coach L at a basketball camp. The Mas brothers brought Coach L's name to the attention of UM. Hocutt rehired Blake James in 2010 to be in charge of the Ticket Office. Eichhorst took over in 2011 when Hocutt left. James did not become AD until 2013.

No "headhunters" were hired. No "top company". No "vetting".

So, we have at least two more years of losing before Coach L expects to win......I want to vomit.

How do you get what you wrote from this:

"Next year will still be a challenge for us, but we should be improved. The following year, we should be back to where we were."

Taken on its face, that says ONE year should be a challenge, but that the second year should be "back to where we were" (which was the NCAA tournament).

None of this happened.

The Mas brothers met Coach L at a basketball camp. The Mas brothers brought Coach L's name to the attention of UM. Hocutt rehired Blake James in 2010 to be in charge of the Ticket Office. Eichhorst took over in 2011 when Hocutt left. James did not become AD until 2013.

No "headhunters" were hired. No "top company". No "vetting".
Ok at the time Blake was the only person with any familiarity with UM, having previously worked there and familiarity with Coach L, if only by his legacy at Providence, where Blake worked. And yes he was vetted by a group out of Atlanta of which I am personally aware of thru family. So, believe what you like, it’s free.

Advertisement
Your argument is that Blake James, the ticket guy (he was not hired as AD until 2013) was in charge of the basketball coaching search in 2011?

Riiiight...
The only one with any familiarity with the program having previously worked at UM. Didn’t say he was in charge only that he was the contact person.

Ok at the time Blake was the only person with any familiarity with UM, having previously worked there and familiarity with Coach L, if only by his legacy at Providence, where Blake worked.

Wow. Blake had NOTHING to do with Coach L and his original employment here. Not sure why that is difficult to understand.

I also like this new horsechit about Blake having familiarity with Coach L because Blake once worked at Providence.

The only one with any familiarity with the program having previously worked at UM. Didn’t say he was in charge only that he was the contact person.

Blake James was now the "contact" person. Does that mean that after Coach submitted his "resume" to UM, because nobody ***ing knew him here, that Blake copied the "contact" information off his "resume"?

Coach L was a great hire when it was made; and, it remains so! Grass is rarely greener (especially for a middling program like ours) when you are talking about a coach of L's ability.

Advertisement
Wow. Blake had NOTHING to do with Coach L and his original employment here. Not sure why that is difficult to understand.

I also like this new horsechit about Blake having familiarity with Coach L because Blake once worked at Providence.
I could give a *** about what y’all know or don’t know.Most schools will vett a candidate to protect their investment. They do for AD’s as well as top admin positions. It’s sloppy to hire by word of mouth. That’s why there are companies that door for the schools. Some good some bad. Blake James was the contact for that service, don’t know why but he was. The AD gets credit for the hire no matter what. So, yes Blake did have something to do with it despite what y’all choose to believe. Which again I reiterate, don’t give a ***. Just Sayin’

I could give a *** about what y’all know or don’t know.Most schools will vett a candidate to protect their investment. They do for AD’s as well as top admin positions. It’s sloppy to hire by word of mouth. That’s why there are companies that door for the schools. Some good some bad. Blake James was the contact for that service, don’t know why but he was. The AD gets credit for the hire no matter what. So, yes Blake did have something to do with it despite what y’all choose to believe. Which again I reiterate, don’t give a ***. Just Sayin’

Again, Blake James had NOTHING to do with Coach L. Blake James was NOT the AD when Coach L was hired.

There is an article in this thread that explains the embarrassment that was his hiring (embarrassing from our school's POV).

Again, Blake James had NOTHING to do with Coach L. Blake James was NOT the AD when Coach L was hired.

There is an article in this thread that explains the embarrassment that was his hiring (embarrassing from our school's POV).
Look , I’m Ripley’s BELIEVE IT OR NOT. I said I don’t give a flying *** what you believe. Yes at first they didn’t consider him, but after he was a candidate he was VETTED. Who would hire someone without checking them out for Christsake. I was involved in coaching for yeasts after I graduated UM, know and met some very good ones. But they are human, open to all the frailties. Some abused drugs and alcohol, some cheated on and abused their spouses, some had a gambling problem, most hid those things well. At a high profile institution you may want to do discovery before you hire. James didn’t hire him, the AD did, but he was part of the process. Maybe he carried the papers for the AD to sign who the *** knows and really other than YOU, who really gives a ****. I don’t know what the *** your Beef is with James, but Man let it go.

Advertisement
Coach L tried to sign Vernon Carey, Jr. A predecessor struck out on Brandon Knight. Tim James, James Jones, Steve Edwards, the aforementioned Huell, Burnett, etc.. All highly rated signings. Additionally, Adrian Thomas, Asbury, Collins, Rodriguez, Diaz, Rios, Clemente, Rich ... we've signed a decent number considering, as said, South Fla is NOT a high school hoops hotbed.

Last edited:
Look , I’m Ripley’s BELIEVE IT OR NOT. I said I don’t give a flying *** what you believe. Yes at first they didn’t consider him, but after he was a candidate he was VETTED. Who would hire someone without checking them out for Christsake. I was involved in coaching for yeasts after I graduated UM, know and met some very good ones. But they are human, open to all the frailties. Some abused drugs and alcohol, some cheated on and abused their spouses, some had a gambling problem, most hid those things well. At a high profile institution you may want to do discovery before you hire. James didn’t hire him, the AD did, but he was part of the process. Maybe he carried the papers for the AD to sign who the *** knows and really other than YOU, who really gives a ****. I don’t know what the *** your Beef is with James, but Man let it go.

James did NOTHING. You can state he carried contact information or papers for someone to sign, but that is NOTHING.

It is nice to know that Blake’s tranny porsts on here.

James did NOTHING. You can state he carried contact information or papers for someone to sign, but that is NOTHING.

It is nice to know that Blake’s tranny porsts on here.
Holy ****, that’s what you got. A personal attack, *** what a *******. Wait till I tell your MaMa. Yeah, can y’all get my socks I left under her bed, Douchbag.

Met Coach L tonight at the UM Booster event. He said that they have added 3 (not sure who the 3rd is) with 3 more still to be added.

Advertisement
Back