Coaches deserve most of the blame. Here's why.

When you ask your players to do things they’re not good at to the detriment of the team, you get mentally and emotionally checked out players. Adjust your offense to your players and not vice versa and you get buy in. Mario thought he was gonna come in and impose his bland offense and the players rejected it.

Mario should be reflecting on his coaching rather than blaming players.
What ever happened to:

“It starts with us as a coaching staff. We’ve got to be better.”

Now it’s:

“I’ve been dealt a bad hand with these terrible players.”

Advertisement
I get wanting to install your own culture but this is turning into Mario's personal version of the Junction Boys. Players of this era are different. Not saying coddle them but you have to balance some. Can't browbeat constantly, imo.
They talked about this exact thing on the SC vs TaM broadcast. Called it climate before culture. Can be a disciplinarian to an extend but the players also have to have some fun and believe in what they are doing. Doesn’t seem anyone of our players believes in what we are doing or is enjoying the experience.

They talked about this exact thing on the SC vs TaM broadcast. Called it climate before culture. Can be a disciplinarian to an extend but the players also have to have some fun and believe in what they are doing. Doesn’t seem anyone of our players believes in what we are doing or is enjoying the experience.

That's one of the things I noticed during the Bama vs Tennessee game. Vol players looked hyped and enjoying themselves. A reflection of their HC who every time I see being interviewed is doing just that. Don't get that from our HC or players. Or at least from the very outside looking in.

I'm not getting what Mario is trying to do? Enlighten me please. Embarrassing.
Mario's all about toughness. Maybe he wants to "toughen up" the fan base with a few terrible losses so we're not calling for his head everytime he loses a big game over the next 10 years. Chess, not checkers.

Advertisement
That's one of the things I noticed during the Bama vs Tennessee game. Vol players looked hyped and enjoying themselves. A reflection of their HC who every time I see being interviewed is doing just that. Don't get that from our HC or players. Or at least from the very outside looking in.
Fun is for losers. The U is back to work because how you do anything is how you do everything. We’re not going to be a Twitter post.

How many players get kicked off the team during the season? No one in the country does that unless it’s an extreme scenario. Playing time is a fair point but injuries also play a big role in playing time and we have been hurt.

Our staff missed on the portal during the off season. Gattis especially underestimated a lot of our talent. I expect our roster to be significantly different next year on both sides.
Rather than blaming players bench them. That’s the point. Maybe he just likes the excuses of blaming the players. He already knows his cult won’t allow anyone to question the staff. As I’ve been saying “ putting this all on the players is weak sauce“.

Buy in. The coaches didn't get it from these players. Even from early on you could see the disinterest and blank stares from TVD and others on offense. As a coach you have your philosophy (what you're all about and what we're gonna do) and then you have the implementation of that philosophy, meaning getting buy in from the players. Without buy in from the players, your philosphy doens't mean **** no matter how brilliant it is. These players haven't bought in at all. They're making penalties, making boneheaded plays, exhorbitant turnovers, poor technique, freelancing....these are all signs of guys that just don't care.

Some people see all that stuff from the players and simply conclude that the players stink. You know what the odds are that we assembled an 85 man roster consisting of an average recruting class ranking of 13 and everyone stinks? Off the charts astronomical. It's not a realistic or logical conclusion. We don't have playoff contending talent, but it's better than this. Better than what they are showing. These guys are all playing worse than their talent because they're not trying. THAT is on the coaches. It's the coaches job to sell their vision to the players and to get them to buy in. It's the coaches job to motivate the players. As a coach if you can't do those things, you failed.

Now, Mario can still get buy in from another group of players in the future (his guys etc). Maybe in a couple years when the roster has been turned over he'll be able to put together a team that's fully bought into his vision. Even if that happens, this time period that we're in now is still a massive failure by Mario because he was not able to sell his vision to the current players and get them on board. That's what we're paying him $8 million a year to do and he failed.
This

Advertisement
Please tell me what Mario's vision is? Run when you can't, play calling in the red zone that sucks, horrendous clock management, poor decision making on the sidelines, unable to develop players, and zero imagination? I think that's Mario's vision to a tee.
CMC has to step back and sell his program to team, they did not buy in period. CMC needs to step back and recruit and be the headman of operation. hire a OC and let him take control, same as DC...... find transfers guys as well as HS recruits that show leadership and character and will not quit at first sign of adversity. buckle up this looks like a bigger climb than any of us thought.
AD Radokovich , & Highsmith need to sit down with CMC and develop a plan of attack on a this season and future seasons to turn the ship around.......

Advertisement
Rather than blaming players bench them. That’s the point. Maybe he just likes the excuses of blaming the players. He SZ already knows his cult won’t allow anyone to question the staff. As I’ve been saying “ putting this all on the players is weak sauce“.
If Mario isn’t looking at his staff and questioning his decisions after getting whooped by Duke ( 3 games after losing to Georgia State) then we are seriously ****ed. Our inability to score and defend isn’t just on the players.

I do agree that benching players is best way to say message. I suspect injury’s have delayed that to a degree.

The players quit on him, yesterday. That’s on him. Mario has a lot of soul searching to do.

If Mario isn’t looking at his staff and questioning his decisions after getting whooped by Duke ( 3 games after losing to Georgia State) then we are seriously ****ed. Our inability to score and defend isn’t just on the players.

I do agree that benching players is best way to say message. I suspect injury’s have delayed that to a degree.

The players quit on him, yesterday. That’s on him. Mario has a lot of soul searching to do.
He is definitely looking at staff and I’d expect multiple changes but at the end of the day he hired them. We know he’ll get a lot of swings at this because he’s the prodigal son and has backing. But we’re barely through year one and talking about changes. That’s not a good start.

He is definitely looking at staff and I’d expect multiple changes but at the end of the day he hired them. We know he’ll get a lot of swings at this because he’s the prodigal son and has backing. But we’re barely through year one and talking about changes. That’s not a good start.
My concern, too. He has a lot of tough decisions to make but this approach isn’t working. I agree we do not have the players but when you’re getting whopped by inferior programs then it’s much deeper than the just players. He needs to look in the mirror and accept it.

Advertisement
Agreed. Never imagined we would be this bad. It's now apparent our issues last year were not scheme/ playbook related. We are now stuck in the awful spot of having Manny's players running worse schemes. Mario's recruiting will definitely get us out of where we are today but in order to be consistently good he has to hire better coordinators who run schemes that fit the personnel.

On the flip side, Oregon has Mario's recruits running better schemes and they're starting to get it rolling.

Mario has already dug himself into a hole. Crooting is tougher with all these L's. And he prob needs to fire and make multiple coaching changes which is a bad look after 1 year. If you're a successful coach at another school, do you want to come here knowing you only get 1 year or Mario scapegoats/fires you? Has to make some good coaches think twice. So you either gotta throw wild money or go after young up & comers (not Mario's style) / vets with recent failures/firings (Mullen, Frost who could still be good OC's)

Great equalizer is money. Better hope Ruiz is willing to play the long game here, cuz this is now officially a 3-4 year rebuild.

CMC has to step back and sell his program to team, they did not buy in period. CMC needs to step back and recruit and be the headman of operation. hire a OC and let him take control, same as DC...... find transfers guys as well as HS recruits that show leadership and character and will not quit at first sign of adversity. buckle up this looks like a bigger climb than any of us thought.
AD Radokovich , & Highsmith need to sit down with CMC and develop a plan of attack on a this season and future seasons to turn the ship around.......
Only reason I'm not more ****ed off is the fact I have faith in our AD and Zo to help right the ship. Not a clown like Blake James

Advertisement
Back