Coaches deserve most of the blame. Here's why.

terdferguson

Junior
Buy in. The coaches didn't get it from these players. Even from early on you could see the disinterest and blank stares from TVD and others on offense. As a coach you have your philosophy (what you're all about and what we're gonna do) and then you have the implementation of that philosophy, meaning getting buy in from the players. Without buy in from the players, your philosphy doens't mean **** no matter how brilliant it is. These players haven't bought in at all. They're making penalties, making boneheaded plays, exhorbitant turnovers, poor technique, freelancing....these are all signs of guys that just don't care.

Some people see all that stuff from the players and simply conclude that the players stink. You know what the odds are that we assembled an 85 man roster consisting of an average recruting class ranking of 13 and everyone stinks? Off the charts astronomical. It's not a realistic or logical conclusion. We don't have playoff contending talent, but it's better than this. Better than what they are showing. These guys are all playing worse than their talent because they're not trying. THAT is on the coaches. It's the coaches job to sell their vision to the players and to get them to buy in. It's the coaches job to motivate the players. As a coach if you can't do those things, you failed.

Now, Mario can still get buy in from another group of players in the future (his guys etc). Maybe in a couple years when the roster has been turned over he'll be able to put together a team that's fully bought into his vision. Even if that happens, this time period that we're in now is still a massive failure by Mario because he was not able to sell his vision to the current players and get them on board. That's what we're paying him $8 million a year to do and he failed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement

sam winchester yawn GIF

Please tell me what Mario's vision is? Run when you can't, play calling in the red zone that sucks, horrendous clock management, poor decision making on the sidelines, unable to develop players, and zero imagination? I think that's Mario's vision to a tee.

Advertisement
Please tell me what Mario's vision is? Run when you can't, play calling in the red zone that sucks, horrendous clock management, poor decision making on the sidelines, unable to develop players, and zero imagination? I think that's Mario's vision to a tee.

No penalties, turnovers, blown coverages…?

Advertisement
Terd , I agree. With that said, I'm still in disbelief that we lost to a Duke team that went 1-8 and 0-9 the last two years in the ACC and there's anyone out there even bringing up a lack of talent regarding our woes.
I have no idea how ppl can see whats happened this year and not place the vast majority of the blame on the coaching staff.

Terd , I agree. With that said, I'm still in disbelief that we lost to a Duke team that went 1-8 and 0-9 the last two years in the ACC and there's anyone out there even bringing up a lack of talent regarding our woes.
But for the hometown officiating last week, they would have beaten UNC too....

Advertisement
The coaches believed their own press clippings. I'm thinking of one in particular. I believe this one coach in particular set the tone for the whole year. That may sound harsh, but I believe it to be true

Advertisement
Back