Coach Richt not happy with offense today

Sounds like we're working on installs for FSU & one of the QB's is making the wrong decision in the 1min Offense.

The thing Mark & Jon preach to the QB's is do exactly what they ask them to do, they don't like freelancing & improvisational Quarterbacking, they want it done their way & they want it done right.

I'm guessing that's what has kept the QB race open all this time, none of these guys seem to be able to just the run the Offense the way they're supposed to.
You're absolutely right about them wanting things done exactly the way they say. I just hope Rick doesn't get too robotic in his approach. Some of the most successful college QBs of the last several years are guys who can improvise. If you get too robotic in your approach you might take that away.
Yep. Good to plan every detail. Bad to expect you're going to get what you planned for...

See FSU 2016.

Improvising when things break down is fine. Coaches won't complain about that. It's a rare college QB that can change plays, etc., competently.
Understood. Don't think anyone disagrees with Richt on players being prepared and knowing what to do.

Advertisement
I think he's just so much better than the crap we've had around here that he gets put on a pedestal. He is not without flaws

Sounds like we're working on installs for FSU & one of the QB's is making the wrong decision in the 1min Offense.

The thing Mark & Jon preach to the QB's is do exactly what they ask them to do, they don't like freelancing & improvisational Quarterbacking, they want it done their way & they want it done right.

I'm guessing that's what has kept the QB race open all this time, none of these guys seem to be able to just the run the Offense the way they're supposed to.
You're absolutely right about them wanting things done exactly the way they say. I just hope Rick doesn't get too robotic in his approach. Some of the most successful college QBs of the last several years are guys who can improvise. If you get too robotic in your approach you might take that away.

I'm going to side with Richt knowing what he's doing here, he's coached the following QBs:
Charlie Ward - Heisman Trophy Winner
Chris Weinke - Hesiman Trophy Winner
Matthew Stafford- #1 Overall Pick
I don't see why it seems people are unable to accept Richt is imperfect and will always be. It's like he must be protected at all costs until he comes out and, like the good, straighforward man he is, says it himself. This is the same as last season. Nothing was Richt's fault until the guy literally said "yeah, I was rusty." I guess it's the tendency for message boards to be about extremes, but here are the counterarguments to your comments:

Charlie Ward - 1993 (24 years ago)
Chris Weinke - 2000 (as a 28 year old man)
Matthew Stafford - NFL draft is a measure of prospect potential and Richt/Stafford lost 3 games the season Stafford was drafted #1

I think what Richt is doing makes perfect sense, especially for inexperienced QBs. He wants them prepared. He knows more about QBs than probably everyone on this board combined. We can discuss potential flaws, though.].

This can't be said enough.

Not to bring Perry into yet another post, but here goes...

One thing that gives me hope about Richt not being too rigid re: his QB are his past comments about Perry (and the ever-present Charlie Ward comparison.) I remember Richt saying something to the effect of he never called a designed run for Ward, Ward just had a knack for making Richt look good. He sees similar traits in Perry. He and Richt Jr. both have talked about a QB's ability to make a play when things are less than perfect.

So yes, I think Richt wants all his guys to do exactly what they're told, but I also think at the QB position especially, he values that inherent knack and savvy to find a way to make things happen.

I also think there's a difference between freelancing and playing instinctual football. Richt also said recently that he doesn't mind a QB going "off-script" if after the play he can come back to the sideline and explain WHY he chose to make that decision.

I understand what Rick is trying to do. There's a solid foundation for his way of doing it. I don't see what you do in his freedom with the QBs. All I've ever heard from him is that he wants it done exactly the way he tells them to do it.

Then you look around college football at guys like Baker Mayfield who make all of their big plays on scramble plays. Same with Manziel. To a lesser degree Watson had a lot of success improvising.

I think he starts from that position of rigidity (giggidy), but I have seen quite a bit of improvising from his QBs at UGA. Stafford in particular had that "I can get away with this throw" mentality, even as a freshman - often he was right!

To me, the Richt QB that I think most relates to what we have here right now is DJ Shockley. Now, I don't think anyone on our roster has the sheer size or athleticism as Shockley, but I see similarities in how Richt may want to use our QBs in this offense.

As such, I also think that a lot of Richt's caution and care with the QB position now is similar to what he got with Shockley - a guy who could make things happen with a big arm and some wheels, but tended to panic and heave it when things broke down, even as a senior. Richt and Co. have made similar observations about our QBs here, particularly Rosier... the whole "don't turn a mistake into a catastrophe" thing.

So I've seen both sides of the "my way vs. the highway" thing at UGA.

Last edited:
Advertisement
CMR is the only dude that can curse out some one...

without cursing....

that was some crusty interview... love it

JC

Strategic *** chewings are very important.

And being smart doing it too. He didn't throw anyone in particular under the bus and started by blaming himself first. Like you said, chewing *** is important but not every HC does it right. We have one of the best here.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I'm going to side with Richt knowing what he's doing here, he's coached the following QBs:
I don't see why it seems people are unable to accept Richt is imperfect and will always be. It's like he must be protected at all costs until he comes out and, like the good, straighforward man he is, says it himself. This is the same as last season. Nothing was Richt's fault until the guy literally said "yeah, I was rusty." I guess it's the tendency for message boards to be about extremes, but here are the counterarguments to your comments:

Charlie Ward - 1993 (24 years ago)
Chris Weinke - 2000 (as a 28 year old man)
Matthew Stafford - NFL draft is a measure of prospect potential and Richt/Stafford lost 3 games the season Stafford was drafted #1

I think what Richt is doing makes perfect sense, especially for inexperienced QBs. He wants them prepared. He knows more about QBs than probably everyone on this board combined. We can discuss potential flaws, though. I bet he'd be the first to admit he's imperfect in his ways.

He absolutely did admit he's imperfect. Said that everything was about coaching and they have to coach better. He just emphasized that they have gone through these plays for the 1-minute offense in every learning method possible (audio, visual, kinetic) and the guys botched it today. Therefore, guys have to start paying more attention or they (the coaches) will have to put someone else there that does pay the required attention.

Btw, Ward and Weinke were recruited in the same class. One of them would not have won the Heisman had Weinke not decided to play Minor League baseball for a few years and then come back. Along with Stafford and a few other decent guys he had at Georgia, I think we can all agree that Richt has had some success recruiting and developing top notch level college QBs so whatever requirements/standards he places on his QBs, I'm going to roll with him on that.

When's the last time we've run a good 1-minute offense? Randy and Al were horrific clock managers. Richt isn't fooling around, knows that's the difference between good and great.

THIS! Al used to **** me off something fierce by the way he ended a half. Run the ball twice, THEN try to throw for the first down. Look man. You either try to keep the clock stopped and score, or you run the clock out to prevent the other team from getting the ball. You don't do both.

Strategic *** chewings are very important.

And being smart doing it too. He didn't throw anyone in particular under the bust and started by blaming himself first. Like you said, chewing *** is important but not every HC does it right. We have one of the best here.

Patience and praise when working one-on-one, admonish them as a group, reprimand individuals in private

Advertisement

I'm glad you're siding with Coach Rick over a bunch of guys posting on the internet, but this was never a referendum on that.

Advertisement

If what you're saying is correct then my guess is that he'd be more frustrated with the older QB's, maybe Rosier. Just guessing.

Right. I'm sure he's holding all of the QB's to the same standard but watching that - I couldn't help but feel like it was the kind of angry you get at someone that should know better - an older guy. Anyhow.

I just like the fact he's not throwing blame!!....he straight up put himself and the rest of the coaches under the bus too!! ACCOUNTABILITY!!!previous staph havent held themselves to.

Agolden said "it starts with me" unless u forgot

Advertisement
Back