Coach Richt not happy with offense today

Advertisement
Sounds like we're working on installs for FSU & one of the QB's is making the wrong decision in the 1min Offense.

The thing Mark & Jon preach to the QB's is do exactly what they ask them to do, they don't like freelancing & improvisational Quarterbacking, they want it done their way & they want it done right.

I'm guessing that's what has kept the QB race open all this time, none of these guys seem to be able to just the run the Offense the way they're supposed to.
You're absolutely right about them wanting things done exactly the way they say. I just hope Rick doesn't get too robotic in his approach. Some of the most successful college QBs of the last several years are guys who can improvise. If you get too robotic in your approach you might take that away.

Not to bring Perry into yet another post, but here goes...

One thing that gives me hope about Richt not being too rigid re: his QB are his past comments about Perry (and the ever-present Charlie Ward comparison.) I remember Richt saying something to the effect of he never called a designed run for Ward, Ward just had a knack for making Richt look good. He sees similar traits in Perry. He and Richt Jr. both have talked about a QB's ability to make a play when things are less than perfect.

So yes, I think Richt wants all his guys to do exactly what they're told, but I also think at the QB position especially, he values that inherent knack and savvy to find a way to make things happen.

I also think there's a difference between freelancing and playing instinctual football. Richt also said recently that he doesn't mind a QB going "off-script" if after the play he can come back to the sideline and explain WHY he chose to make that decision.

I understand what Rick is trying to do. There's a solid foundation for his way of doing it. I don't see what you do in his freedom with the QBs. All I've ever heard from him is that he wants it done exactly the way he tells them to do it.

Then you look around college football at guys like Baker Mayfield who make all of their big plays on scramble plays. Same with Manziel. To a lesser degree Watson had a lot of success improvising.

Of course a coach wants scripted plays in practice to work, Improvising is for true live football.

Advertisement
Coaches/Leaders who yell all the time and appear half-****ed off every moment - can yell and it's just another part of the day.

But when someone that has a relatively consistent, controlled demeanor goes off - that gets everyone's full attention.

You rather swordfight with Zorro than get a man like that ****ed.

First time in years we don't have to look under the bus to find the whole team that had been thrown there.....Like the fact Richt used we and I as opposed to them and they during the interview.

I just like the fact he's not throwing blame!!....he straight up put himself and the rest of the coaches under the bus too!! ACCOUNTABILITY!!!previous staph havent held themselves to.

Agolden said "it starts with me" unless u forgot

And then proceeded to throw EVERYBODY and they mama except his butt buddy under the bus. Big difference genius.

Richt knows what to do and knows what a championship caliber team operates. He is cool as a cucumber most of the time but when things aren't done right, he's gonna get mad. One thing that really stood out was how he put this day on himself and all the coaches. The biggest thing coming out of he last staff, which by the way i hate bringing up, was that the defense was too complicated but they just kept on with it. Richt specifically stated we either aren't coaching it good enough or it's too complicated. Put the blame directly on coaching. That is a guy who really understands.

We are lucky as **** that we landed Richt after the sheer incompetence and downward spiral this program was going. It's truly remarkable.

Advertisement
Sounds like we're working on installs for FSU & one of the QB's is making the wrong decision in the 1min Offense.

The thing Mark & Jon preach to the QB's is do exactly what they ask them to do, they don't like freelancing & improvisational Quarterbacking, they want it done their way & they want it done right.

I'm guessing that's what has kept the QB race open all this time, none of these guys seem to be able to just the run the Offense the way they're supposed to.

If what you're saying is correct then my guess is that he'd be more frustrated with the older QB's, maybe Rosier. Just guessing.

Right. I'm sure he's holding all of the QB's to the same standard but watching that - I couldn't help but feel like it was the kind of angry you get at someone that should know better - an older guy. Anyhow.

Yeah... It's like no one wants to take the job. Just when he thinks the older, more experienced guys are separating, they fall back. I'm really curious to see how the scrimmage goes.

Last edited:
Advertisement

If what you're saying is correct then my guess is that he'd be more frustrated with the older QB's, maybe Rosier. Just guessing.

Right. I'm sure he's holding all of the QB's to the same standard but watching that - I couldn't help but feel like it was the kind of angry you get at someone that should know better - an older guy. Anyhow.

Yeah... It's like no one wants to take the job. Just when hebtginks the older, more experienced guys are separating, they fall back. I'm really curious to see how the scrimmage goes.

Someone tell Rosier we play Duke next week so he'll study our playbook tonight

i thought the most important part of the rant was this: “That’s why we lost games last year. That’s why we lost close games.”

Missed assignment, wrong reads, wrong place, etc. players f@cking up.

Advertisement
I think he's just so much better than the crap we've had around here that he gets put on a pedestal. He is not without flaws

That's not saying much because no coach is flawless, but what flaws in particular are you referring to?
The general question around him is how much improvisation (live game) he encourages, if any. It's kind of a moot point given our inexperienced guys, but posters tend to overreact to any challenge to Richt. Even if he later concedes the point.

Advertisement
Back