Coach Richt not happy with offense today

I just like the fact he's not throwing blame!!....he straight up put himself and the rest of the coaches under the bus too!! ACCOUNTABILITY!!!previous staph havent held themselves to.

Advertisement
Sounds like we're working on installs for FSU & one of the QB's is making the wrong decision in the 1min Offense.

The thing Mark & Jon preach to the QB's is do exactly what they ask them to do, they don't like freelancing & improvisational Quarterbacking, they want it done their way & they want it done right.

I'm guessing that's what has kept the QB race open all this time, none of these guys seem to be able to just the run the Offense the way they're supposed to.
You're absolutely right about them wanting things done exactly the way they say. I just hope Rick doesn't get too robotic in his approach. Some of the most successful college QBs of the last several years are guys who can improvise. If you get too robotic in your approach you might take that away.

Sounds like we're working on installs for FSU & one of the QB's is making the wrong decision in the 1min Offense.

The thing Mark & Jon preach to the QB's is do exactly what they ask them to do, they don't like freelancing & improvisational Quarterbacking, they want it done their way & they want it done right.

I'm guessing that's what has kept the QB race open all this time, none of these guys seem to be able to just the run the Offense the way they're supposed to.
You're absolutely right about them wanting things done exactly the way they say. I just hope Rick doesn't get too robotic in his approach. Some of the most successful college QBs of the last several years are guys who can improvise. If you get too robotic in your approach you might take that away.
Yep. Good to plan every detail. Bad to expect you're going to get what you planned for...

See FSU 2016.

Advertisement

Not to bring Perry into yet another post, but here goes...

One thing that gives me hope about Richt not being too rigid re: his QB are his past comments about Perry (and the ever-present Charlie Ward comparison.) I remember Richt saying something to the effect of he never called a designed run for Ward, Ward just had a knack for making Richt look good. He sees similar traits in Perry. He and Richt Jr. both have talked about a QB's ability to make a play when things are less than perfect.

So yes, I think Richt wants all his guys to do exactly what they're told, but I also think at the QB position especially, he values that inherent knack and savvy to find a way to make things happen.

I also think there's a difference between freelancing and playing instinctual football. Richt also said recently that he doesn't mind a QB going "off-script" if after the play he can come back to the sideline and explain WHY he chose to make that decision.

Last edited:

Yep. Good to plan every detail. Bad to expect you're going to get what you planned for...

See FSU 2016.
Yeah. If a play breaks down, and Rosier starts scrambling around and sees Jeff Thomas take off deep and beat his guy and throw his hand up, I want to see them feel free to make that connection instead of looking at read one then read two and throwing it out of bounds.

One thing that gives me hope about Richt not being too rigid re: his QB are his past comments about Perry (and the ever-present Charlie Ward comparison.) I remember Richt saying something to the effect of he never called a designed run for Ward, Ward just had a knack for making Richt look good. He sees similar traits in Perry. He and Richt Jr. both have talked about a QB's ability to make a play when things are less than perfect.

So yes, I think Richt wants all his guys to do exactly what they're told, but I also think at the QB position especially, he values that inherent knack and savvy to find a way to make things happen.

I also think there's a difference between freelancing and playing instinctual football. Richt also said recently that he doesn't mind a QB going "off-script" if after the play he can come back to the sideline and explain WHY he chose to make that decision.

First we try, THEN we trust.

You hit the nail on the head, bro. Rick first wants to know that he can trust the guy to follow instructions and trust the coaching, to make the right decisions and reads for the right reasons. Once he's got a guy that he knows there is true mutual trust, and an open line of honest communication there, he'll slowly loosen the reins.

Advertisement

I understand what Rick is trying to do. There's a solid foundation for his way of doing it. I don't see what you do in his freedom with the QBs. All I've ever heard from him is that he wants it done exactly the way he tells them to do it.

Then you look around college football at guys like Baker Mayfield who make all of their big plays on scramble plays. Same with Manziel. To a lesser degree Watson had a lot of success improvising.

I understand what Rick is trying to do. There's a solid foundation for his way of doing it. I don't see what you do in his freedom with the QBs. All I've ever heard from him is that he wants it done exactly the way he tells them to do it.

Then you look around college football at guys like Baker Mayfield who make all of their big plays on scramble plays. Same with Manziel. To a lesser degree Watson had a lot of success improvising.

True some of the biggest plays today come off a quarterback wide receiver scramble drill. Seems like its always on 3rd down too lol. For every Mayfield or Manziel with scrambling there's guys who try and turn the ball over. All about trust with Richt it seems.

When's the last time we've run a good 1-minute offense? Randy and Al were horrific clock managers. Richt isn't fooling around, knows that's the difference between good and great.
I'll never forget watching Jacory have absolutely no idea how to run a 2 minute drill in the Emerald Bowl game against Cal. Not even blaming Jacory. It was clear that they never practiced it.

Advertisement

I'm going to side with Richt knowing what he's doing here, he's coached the following QBs:
Charlie Ward - Heisman Trophy Winner
Chris Weinke - Hesiman Trophy Winner
Matthew Stafford- #1 Overall Pick

When's the last time we've run a good 1-minute offense? Randy and Al were horrific clock managers. Richt isn't fooling around, knows that's the difference between good and great.
I'll never forget watching Jacory have absolutely no idea how to run a 2 minute drill in the Emerald Bowl game against Cal. Not even blaming Jacory. It was clear that they never practiced it.

Even more infuriating seeing that **** in person

Advertisement

See FSU 2016.

Improvising when things break down is fine. Coaches won't complain about that. It's a rare college QB that can change plays, etc., competently.

I'm going to side with Richt knowing what he's doing here, he's coached the following QBs:
Charlie Ward - Heisman Trophy Winner
Chris Weinke - Hesiman Trophy Winner
Matthew Stafford- #1 Overall Pick
I don't see why it seems people are unable to accept Richt is imperfect and will always be. It's like he must be protected at all costs until he comes out and, like the good, straighforward man he is, says it himself. This is the same as last season. Nothing was Richt's fault until the guy literally said "yeah, I was rusty." I guess it's the tendency for message boards to be about extremes, but here are the counterarguments to your comments:

Charlie Ward - 1993 (24 years ago)
Chris Weinke - 2000 (as a 28 year old man)
Matthew Stafford - NFL draft is a measure of prospect potential and Richt/Stafford lost 3 games the season Stafford was drafted #1

I think what Richt is doing makes perfect sense, especially for inexperienced QBs. He wants them prepared. He knows more about QBs than probably everyone on this board combined. We can discuss potential flaws, though. I bet he'd be the first to admit he's imperfect in his ways.

If what you're saying is correct then my guess is that he'd be more frustrated with the older QB's, maybe Rosier. Just guessing.

That was awesome!

Good to see a HC for Miami be able to tap into his ******* side, when warranted.

From interviews, I've figured out that the players have already seen it. But he's usually calm when he gets to the media. Can't imagine how frustrated he was on the field if he carried that tone into the media session.

:braveheart2:

Advertisement
Back