Coach No D

Why is press-man gonna get us blown out?

b/c Man coverage is what Jameis Winston has been carving up this entire season.... he's not going up against zone defenses, he's been playing backyard football and seeing Benjamin, Greene, or Shaw go deep against 1 on 1 coverage and they have been destroying teams who think man coverage is the best way to slow down their offense.

why would anybody want to put press man coverage against Kelvin Benjamin and Rashaad Greene is beyond me????

The defense that d'onofrio runs is the best way to slow down FSU's offense, he can call for a more aggressive approach within the scheme but that doesnt have to mean press man coverage.

He can mix it up like he's been doing but i disagree w/ the idea that he should do man coverage more then he has before.

It's harder to find the opening in man coverage. With zone the opening can be identified BEFORE the snap. I'm not saying that we should go out and play man all night but if any team can afford to use more man coverage on FSU it's us.

Advertisement
I think people really believe that in every situation you can have the best match up possible.

So Sebastian Pipe, who would you prefer to guard a WR instead of a LB?

Burns, he got burned bad.

Bush, can he run?

Highsmith, oh no!

There were 3 LB's on the field a ton against 4-5 wide sets. Burns did not get burned bad, he misplayed the ball, and no it is not an agenda. 3,21,37,26 are all capable of manning someone up a few plays a game which can allow us to force the action in certain situations. Is that asking too much? Guess so

A little more man and more press coverage is whats going to get Miami blown out so i'll just trust the coaching staff on this one.....

ya know D'onofrio was here last year, when FSU was suppose to blow us out but the score was 16-13 going to the 4th.

Not speaking about that being the gameplan, but this past Saturday was coach D worst game of the year by far. The continuous dinks and dunks were killing our cover 2. That was my gripe. Plus it will not get us blown out. Our DB's are the best unit on our D. We need to force the issue some.

Against WF, Miami couldve used more man to prevent the slant routes and bubble screens, or just pull the Safeties up a lot closer.

Also Ty Cornelius being in the starting line up now, has a lot to do w/ our LBs being out of position on 3rd downs. I think Cornelius will improve the coverage at LB for FSU.

D'onofrio needs to switch it up against FSU and switch up the tempo of the defense to keep FSU off guard.

Why is press-man gonna get us blown out?

b/c Man coverage is what Jameis Winston has been carving up this entire season.... he's not going up against zone defenses, he's been playing backyard football and seeing Benjamin, Greene, or Shaw go deep against 1 on 1 coverage and they have been destroying teams who think man coverage is the best way to slow down their offense.

why would anybody want to put press man coverage against Kelvin Benjamin and Rashaad Greene is beyond me????

The defense that d'onofrio runs is the best way to slow down FSU's offense, he can call for a more aggressive approach within the scheme but that doesnt have to mean press man coverage.

He can mix it up like he's been doing but i disagree w/ the idea that he should do man coverage more then he has before.

It's harder to find the opening in man coverage. With zone the opening can be identified BEFORE the snap. I'm not saying that we should go out and play man all night but if any team can afford to use more man coverage on FSU it's us.

yeah I agree..... D'onofrio needs to switch it up and keep FSU's offense guessing whether it's zone or man.

Advertisement
Bottom line is...

We can't be stagnant pre-snap, like we have been. It makes the QB's reads too easy. Wake had our defense figured out. They knew what coverages we were in and they exploited the weaknesses of said coverage.

I just don't like rushing 4, when those 4 have not an ounce of quick twitch muscle fibers in their bodies. I don't feel giving Winston all day to gash a zone is the best option.

Howard and Gunter have turned the corner and are legit cover guys. Crawford looks solid. Let them man up and play football. Press every know and then and throw the timing of the play off. Send pressure from everywhere and force Winston to make quick decisions and get him feeling uncomfortable and trigger happy.

The last thing I want any QB doing, let alone one as good as Winston, is standing in the pocket against a slow pass rush and surveying the field while his receivers prance through wide open holes in a zone.

That's just my preference and my belief. If we play him soft, he torches us.

I'm pretty sure the entire drive that Wake scored their last TD on was press and man coverage besides maybe the first play. We played it plenty in the second half. Once again if Crawford makes a tackle on third and long on the first drive, Wake doesn't score. That was zone. If Burns makes a better play on the ball on Wake's second TD drive they don't score. A scheme is supposed to get players in the right position. They were there to make plays and they didn't.

Those guys make plays they're supposed to make and Wake doesn't get 300 yds total offense.

I think people really believe that in every situation you can have the best match up possible.

So Sebastian Pipe, who would you prefer to guard a WR instead of a LB?

Burns, he got burned bad.

Bush, can he run?

Highsmith, oh no!

There were 3 LB's on the field a ton against 4-5 wide sets. Burns did not get burned bad, he misplayed the ball, and no it is not an agenda. 3,21,37,26 are all capable of manning someone up a few plays a game which can allow us to force the action in certain situations. Is that asking too much? Guess so

There is a disconnect here.

A RB or TE spread out wide does not guarantee that we sub in another DB to cover that player. This is how it goes, at some point LBs will need to cover these options.

Burns got burnt twice during the game, one was for 56 yards i.e. the longest reception for WF (see below)

What you will notice on 3rd and 9 is we have 5 players on the Line (Perryman moved up) and three CBs (Howard, Burns and Crawford) on the three WRs for WF. This was a really bad play because it was on 3rd and 9.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9881573

What you should have watched was Burns, misplay a ball. You will also see Jenkins getting caught too.

Here is another play, Bush getting beat bad on the TD

http://espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=332992390

It is not to much but you need to realize that it is not always possible to have a CB covering a WR. In fact here is another TD, it shows a RB coming out of the backfield being guarded by Cornelius.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9882485

Instead of making a play for 14 yard gain, he whiffs on a tackle. These plays happen, having a CB doesn't solve this because he wouldn't stand there watching an RB come out of the backfield on a route. He would be covering a WR/TE.

Advertisement
worst game of the year? really? we gave up 14 early and then 3 in the 2nd half. what I hated was that we know #3 catches 80% of their passes and yet we continues to let him. they threw nothing downfield, except for the one blown coverage. everything was with in 15 yards.

7-0 all day long though so not one to complain at all

Right right. I am a hypocrite. Spent many days on the Greentree buddy, and trust me it is not just me sharing this opinion. The guy below you said it best. We are a stagnant D sometimes.

Bottom line is...

We can't be stagnant pre-snap, like we have been. It makes the QB's reads too easy. Wake had our defense figured out. They knew what coverages we were in and they exploited the weaknesses of said coverage. AMEN

SO how long will it be before UM has enough or "better" players to run doritisis scheme? 3 years, 4 years, or 5?

You're always gonna have a LB covering a WR in some form or fashion throughout a game. Can't really avoid that.

Advertisement
Tyrone Cornelius starting now is so the LB group can do a better job in coverage.... smart move.

It also puts more talent on the 2nd string w/ Armbrister.

I'm pretty sure the entire drive that Wake scored their last TD on was press and man coverage besides maybe the first play. We played it plenty in the second half. Once again if Crawford makes a tackle on third and long on the first drive, Wake doesn't score. That was zone. If Burns makes a better play on the ball on Wake's second TD drive they don't score. A scheme is supposed to get players in the right position. They were there to make plays and they didn't.

Those guys make plays they're supposed to make and Wake doesn't get 300 yds total offense.

Our corners were fine that drive in man. Burns allowed a play but his coverage was tight, and on the big play, that lb is just a garbage human being. I'm disappointed we don't have better quality backers in here in Golden's third year.

Advertisement

Our corners were fine that drive in man. Burns allowed a play but his coverage was tight, and on the big play, that lb is just a garbage human being. I'm disappointed we don't have better quality backers in here in Golden's third year.

We're not even talking about the same drives. People going after the scheme when players were in position to limit Wake. That first half had two plays that could've kept Wake off the board. Guys were in position and didn't make the play.

Burns got beat bad on that play in press man, it was 3rd down, and he got beat for a 50 yard pass over the top. The coverage wasnt that tight, he was a couple of steps behind the receiver.

Advertisement
Back