COACH MARIO [is great, but do we have enough talent to win now?]

I am hopeful, but not as optimistic as you are. I agree that they did an above average job in pass protection, but the run game was objectively bad. I think some of that may be attributed to a rather mundane scheme, but still, when we needed a push in down and short, they usually couldn't convert, which suggests to me we just aren't good enough. I don't know what impact Rivers and Campbell will have but I just don't believe that 1 off-season with a new staff will change the dudes we have coming back.
I'm hoping it was a lot to do with scheme. Certainly Mario and Mirabal will improve their technique. Add in Feld's work and we should see improvement. Improvement against ACC teams. That is why I'm optimistic.

If our guys can't improve with the coaches we have, then they were never going to be "that dude!!!"

Advertisement
This year you will see that we hang with the top teams we play in our schedule. No more looking lost and doing stupid ****. But we will drop a couple of games because we are not up to par at certain positions.

I'm fascinated at the sudden effort to lower expectations by some here (not just in this thread). 2 years ago we were 8-2 regular season with one of those losses to the #1 team. Last year if Van Dyke had been starting from the beginning we likely would have eeked out those 3 and 4 more points against UVA and UNC, giving us 9 wins. He starts this year from the beginning with much more experience.

And what sort of "predictions" did we hear at the beginning of the last 2 seasons from CIS? Not so much predictions as angry demands that there are "no excuses" for anything less than 10 wins and that failure to do that would be a "fireable offense." Well where did all that go? We've been reading gushing comments for the last couple of month about how outrageously more competent this new staff is than the last one, so with the new class and new coaches, why is lack of talent such a limitation that was NOT supposed to limit the last staff?

Were people lying before about their expectations? Or are they lying now about the vast difference between the staffs? Pick one. You can't have it both ways

Last season revealed just how overhyped and under developed our talent really was. Can that be turned around in an off-season? Idk

I think our fans are overvaluing our roster talent, as usual

There are holes in too many position groups to realistically expect to compete this year
And you are undervaluing our roster! So, basically your doing the same thing in reverse. Let the new staff work!

Advertisement
You cannot ignore the gaps on this roster. Especially the amount of guys coming off injuries. Who can we truly depend on to produce at an All-ACC level on this team? TVD, Mallory, Nelson and Hedley maybe Scaife lol we have some talent that haven’t performed yet like JW, AW, LT, the running backs, the WR’s, Arroyo, Skinner. With coaching I hope they take the next steps. But then we have places where we just aren’t good enough. DE, LG, C, RT, DT depth, Mike, Will, CB.

Anyone that feels great about this roster and expects us to roll through the coastal is delusional. We need 2 years to upgrade/develop talent.

Right now this is clearly a 8-4 type of roster.
No its not clear its your opinion! Are there wholes yes, bit every team is dealing with what were dealing with. Bama, osu, uga... Etc has holes only difference is they have 5* waiting to fill holes we have 3* still nobody knows how anyone is gonna do cuz its spring practice let it play out!

this year is mostly about setting the foundation, expect 9+ wins . team will improve week to week and team
and players will be developed.need to keep stacking classes every year. still worried about LB( portal )
and o.line

Is a blessing but do we have the talent this year to go far this yr. It's awesome to land him but are we going to OK talent wise.
Robert Redford Nod GIF

We need the elite recruiting classes to start changing things. That starts with this next cycle coming up. We got alot of holes man so anything can happen.
Agreed

Also the majority of teams in the NCAA have a lot of holes. Last year was wild.

But once we get out of our tier we will get exposed for a while but that upper tier sure is small

Advertisement
Have no idea, go back and fourth with myself on this subject all the time.

National championships, nah.

ACC, possibly.

Coastal, definitely.

What I do know, last year team while being flawed in many areas (mostly coaching), was a win or two away from winning the Coastal.

Logic says that despite the talent argument this team should be better than last when you factor in better coaching, training and a roster that is returning guys that have played significant snaps through position groups.

Advertisement
Puncher's Chance !
Puncher's Chance !
Puncher's Chance !

PS. Had to go with one of those "cool" phrases that others use. 😉

Advertisement
Easily enough talent and depth to win the Coastal. Maybe enough depth and talent to win the ACC if Clemson struggles again. Nowhere near enough talent or depth yet to compete in the playoffs against teams like Bamma or UGA.
I like your post brotha! Exactly how I feel! Everyone was hollering 15-0 with Manure why not with The Gawd Mario!!!!

I honestly don’t think Clemson is as good as we give them credit for and I think they will have another subpar year especially with all of their coordinators gone. I’m not sold on Dabo and I don’t believe in his staff at all. I think Clemson will be back to trash within the next 5 years.
It all depends on how they recruit movingforward. If they didn't land Klublick, I would agree 100%. Looking at Clemson's 2019 #7 ranekd class, they had 14 blue chips (3 5-stars) of 29 players. They took an unusually high 14 3-stars. From that class, they have lost 8 of those 14 (6 transfer, 2 NFL) leaving them with a very weak senior class. On the other hand their junior class is very strong. They have 17 of 23 players as blue chips including 5 5-star players. Their 2021 class has 16 blue chips out of 18 players with 3 5-stars. The 2020 and 2021 classes will make or break Clemson's future. The bad part for them is that a lot of 2020 class is going to declare for the 2023 NFL draft.

The whole key for Clemson is whether they can get back to recruiting top 10 classes. I don't think they will. Like you, I think they're sliding. NIL has changed the game. I see them recruiting in the 15-20 range in their future.

We know Mario is going to kill it in recruiting. We should have top 5 and top 10 classes on a regular basis. I don't expect us to ever have a class outside of the top 10.

So, I think Miami and Clemson are two ships in the night passing each other in opposite directions.

I actually hope FSU and Florida can recruit better as long as we get whoever we want. A stronger Big 3 weakens Alabama, UGA, Clemson, and Ohio State.

I think the college football landscape will change in 3-4 years. Texas & Texas A&M are going to keep a lot of their kids home and recruit nationally. The same for USC. This will bring competive balance to college football where Alabama, Georgia, and the rest won't be insanely loaded.

Advertisement
Back