COACH MARIO [is great, but do we have enough talent to win now?]

You cannot ignore the gaps on this roster. Especially the amount of guys coming off injuries. Who can we truly depend on to produce at an All-ACC level on this team? TVD, Mallory, Nelson and Hedley maybe Scaife lol we have some talent that haven’t performed yet like JW, AW, LT, the running backs, the WR’s, Arroyo, Skinner. With coaching I hope they take the next steps. But then we have places where we just aren’t good enough. DE, LG, C, RT, DT depth, Mike, Will, CB.

Anyone that feels great about this roster and expects us to roll through the coastal is delusional. We need 2 years to upgrade/develop talent.

Right now this is clearly a 8-4 type of roster.
Anyone that believe THE CURRENT ROSTER is what UM will be putting on the field is missing the entire focus of Mario Cristobal and the Portal Transfer Analyst that he hired a couple of weeks ago (the same guy that was with Michigan State last season). Mario WILL BRING IN

-1 OT ... a guy who will be a starter (hopefully he can find a second one for depth)
-2 LB's ... guys that will contribute immediately ... heard one rumor re a "one and done" transfer that has 1st round potential.
-1 DT ... urgently needed for depth and maybe even a starter.
-1 WR ... Ladson is a nice addition but UM needs another proven performer. Yes there is talent and we HOPE a couple step up.
Mario isn't getting paid to hope.
-1 DE ... a proven pass rusher is needed.
-1 DB ... need a proven guy.

With those additions the roster will be "less problematic" barring injuries. Scheme should help the D a lot vs 2021 ... as well as ACTUALLY TEACHING TACKLING.

Advertisement
Right now this is an 8-4 team in '22. But I'm waiting until we are done in the portal. Because we are not done.

Anyone that believe THE CURRENT ROSTER is what UM will be putting on the field is missing the entire focus of Mario Cristobal and the Portal Transfer Analyst that he hired a couple of weeks ago (the same guy that was with Michigan State last season). Mario WILL BRING IN

-1 OT ... a guy who will be a starter (hopefully he can find a second one for depth)
-2 LB's ... guys that will contribute immediately ... heard one rumor re a "one and done" transfer that has 1st round potential.
-1 DT ... urgently needed for depth and maybe even a starter.
-1 WR ... Ladson is a nice addition but UM needs another proven performer. Yes there is talent and we HOPE a couple step up.
Mario isn't getting paid to hope.
-1 DE ... a proven pass rusher is needed.
-1 DB ... need a proven guy.

With those additions the roster will be "less problematic" barring injuries. Scheme should help the D a lot vs 2021 ... as well as ACTUALLY TEACHING TACKLING.
I can’t comment on what we’re getting from the portal. We hope all of that happens but the portal is out of our control to a certain extent.

How many projected OL starters for major P5 programs are in the portal each year? 3-5 max. It sounds nice but until it happens all I can do is assess where we are now. It would be dope to find an elite pass rusher but historically how many elite pass rushers have come from the portal after spring practice? The impact portal guys I can think of normally are around for spring ball. Jameson Williams is the only one I can think of.

I believe we will be better. But when you have wholes on both trenches you’re susceptible to losing games to teams you should beat. We have great coaches but they aren’t magicians. To be where fans want us to be it comes down to Jimmies and Joes. Right now we ain’t got em.

I'm fascinated at the sudden effort to lower expectations by some here (not just in this thread). 2 years ago we were 8-2 regular season with one of those losses to the #1 team. Last year if Van Dyke had been starting from the beginning we likely would have eeked out those 3 and 4 more points against UVA and UNC, giving us 9 wins. He starts this year from the beginning with much more experience.

And what sort of "predictions" did we hear at the beginning of the last 2 seasons from CIS? Not so much predictions as angry demands that there are "no excuses" for anything less than 10 wins and that failure to do that would be a "fireable offense." Well where did all that go? We've been reading gushing comments for the last couple of month about how outrageously more competent this new staff is than the last one, so with the new class and new coaches, why is lack of talent such a limitation that was NOT supposed to limit the last staff?

Were people lying before about their expectations? Or are they lying now about the vast difference between the staffs? Pick one. You can't have it both ways
Miami had 8 one possession games last year. They went 5-3. They could have easily went 8-0 or 0-8 in those games. The only multi-score wins they had were Central Connecticut and Duke. They also got blown out by the two best teams they played. As long as a team continues to play so many one possession games, I’m hesitant to predict big win totals. They’ll be better but It’s hard to believe they’ll be significantly better.

Advertisement
Miami had 8 one possession games last year. They went 5-3. They could have easily went 8-0 or 0-8 in those games. The only multi-score wins they had were Central Connecticut and Duke. They also got blown out by the two best teams they played. As long as a team continues to play so many one possession games, I’m hesitant to predict big win totals. They’ll be better but It’s hard to believe they’ll be significantly better.
My point was not meant to criticize anyone who has been consistent with their predictions while honestly acknowledging the talent level. I was getting at the pretty obvious double standard some are employing when suddenly tempering 2022 expections with a more experienced QB + all-world staff vs the high expectations they gleefully blasted in previous years while claiming that anyone who didn't meet them should be fired.

we have the talent to win the coastal, just like we have forever. We’re 2 recruiting cycles IMO from being able to win the ACC over Clemson
I agree we've always had the talent to win the Coastal. I don't think we're that far off from Clemson though. Yes, they have more talent on defense, but I think our offense will be better than theirs simply because of TVD all other things being equal. Their offensive line is mediocre and a weak link. Similar to ours, their offensive line doesn't move people. Shipley is a good back, but I'm not going to label him as great just yet. I don't fear him like Travis Etienne. With Mario and Mirabal I expect our offensive line to improve and be a plus over Clemson's offensive line. Their WRs didn't show much last year mainly because of DJ U, but that works both ways. In any case, I don't fear their offense like the past.

Clemson's elite defense couldn't stop Pitt. A lot of that was due to their defense being on the field too much, but Pitt had 302 yards passing and and 162 yards rushing. With an elite QB, you can score points on Clemson.

Even though Clemson did win 10 games last year, they don't look anything like their championship years. IMO, they've taken a step or two back. We just need to move 2 steps forward to close the gap even more.

We will know where we stand when we play them at their place. I think Clemson plays much better at home. If we are competitive at their place, then I'll know we can beat them in Charlotte. Winning the ACC title is not my expectation for 2022, but we certainly should have an opportunity.

Last edited:
We, at this point, have NO idea what the UM final roster will look like. There are most likely 6-9 players that will be ADDED to the roster in the April / May transfer portal period and you know that Mario is targeting some difference makers to fill major holes that the current roster has due to inept recruiting by the ... other guy.

-1 OT is imperative. Getting 2 would be better for depth.
-2 LB's are imperative. We can't just go with what we have and "hope" that it works because somebody steps up.
-1 WR in addition to Ladson would be great in order to have some experience at the position. A "one and done" who is NFL bound.
-1 DT. Trench support is critical and a truly disruptive DT is a dire need.
-1 DE. Experience would be welcome at the rush slot.
-1 DB. Again, experience would be welcome ... long ACC season.

We have all seen the impact 1-2 QUALITY players can have on a game's outcome. Big play, momentum turns. We need a couple of guys with that momentum changing potential ... to help our QB. Upgrade the roster with the additions detailed and UM has a shot at beating A&M, getting to the ACCC Game, and beating Clemson.
Your making all these assumptions on transfer needs without any knowledge of who develops into a bigger role. Take offensive linemen for example, we don't know anything about the young guys who haven't played. We recruited them for a reason. Offensive linemen take 2-3 years to develop. You just don't keep adding portal players because your guys don't have experience. You get experience by playing. Everyone has had NO experience at some point and made their 1st start. Our 5 offensive line starters are on the roster now if Rivers and Campbell are both healthy. Campbell is taking the #1 reps at RT if I'm correct. So, any transfer offensive linemen would be for depth. We may already have it. I don't want 1 year transfers unless they are starters. So, we don't need any offensive linemen unless they have 2+ years of eligibility which brings me back to we already have blue chip players to develop at offensive line. We don't need any at OL unless some of our guys transfer out.

I'm not making any assumptions about the roster either way. A lot of guys were not developed properly and/or didn't get PT under Manny for unknown reasons. So, I'm not going to judge their talent until they've had the opportunity to develop under the new staff. Mario and staff will know what we have and what we need after Spring practices conclude.

What gives me hope is that we have a top 3 QB in the country (IMO). Line play will be a major issue; but I do think we have the capability to be competitive every game.
I don't think the OL will be an issue. They were a plus in the passing game and a big minus in the running game. We will have Rivers and Campbell back. Stroud was asked (prior to Manny firing) if he needed Portal offensive linemen for 2022. He said NO. He said he'd have Rivers and Campbell back as starters. So, they question is having serviceable backups.

With the instruction of Mario and Mirabal, I expect our run block to improve to a plus side. I think the pass blocking will be really good because it drastically improved over that last 4-5 game with Clarke at center calling out the blocking schemes. It will only get better with more continuity.

Advertisement
OP, I think most are missing your very existential query. We very possibly could go very far this year with the talent we have NEXT year, but this would require a more sophisticated staff. I'm thinking Dr. Stephen Strange, perhaps, as asst. asst. HC. The corollary, of course, of how far could we go next year with THIS year's talent is also intriguing, given 1 more year of experience for this year's staff. Perhaps as far as Oklahoma, truly.

I can’t comment on what we’re getting from the portal. We hope all of that happens but the portal is out of our control to a certain extent.

How many projected OL starters for major P5 programs are in the portal each year? 3-5 max. It sounds nice but until it happens all I can do is assess where we are now. It would be dope to find an elite pass rusher but historically how many elite pass rushers have come from the portal after spring practice? The impact portal guys I can think of normally are around for spring ball. Jameson Williams is the only one I can think of.

I believe we will be better. But when you have wholes on both trenches you’re susceptible to losing games to teams you should beat. We have great coaches but they aren’t magicians. To be where fans want us to be it comes down to Jimmies and Joes. Right now we ain’t got em.
I'm big on development. We have plenty of Blue Chip players who have not been developed properly. This board is just so accustomed to underdevelopment that they want to use the Portal even more than Manny did. Let the new staff work and develop our players.

I think the Portal should only be used in 3 cases:
1. Getting an elite player as a starter.
2. Fill in depth where the body count is low
3. Replace a current player who transfers out

We need to mold and develop our players. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Just because some guy in the Portal has some experience doesn't automatically make him better than the guys on your team who lack experience. Players don't develop at the same rate. We'll probably (hopefully) see a few guys emerge into bigger roles as they go thru the maturation process.

Mario will know where he needs to fill holes with transfer players after the Spring. He'll also know who on the roster he can develop into the type of player he wants.

Last edited:
Just beat FSU!

Do that and I could give a rats *** if we're 8-4 or 9-3, just don't let the difference be the Noles.

If TVD avoids the sophomore slump, all bets are off.

An elite QB changes everything. Diaz was what, 6-2 with him as the starter? And that's with a team that couldn't tackle.

Not sure about more, but Pittsburgh returns a lot off a 11-2 championship team including the best DT in ACC, and the best WR in country.

UNC classes have been as good last 3 years as Miami's rankings wise.
Pitt has older dudes but everyone has older dudes because of the VID. And lost their most important player in pickett. We return most of our squad as well.

Advertisement
After reading the Restrepo Breakdown post, it appears we have the two best receivers in the country, so that might help your case, OP.

I hate these types of threads. Can we at least wait until after spring and see how the portal shakes out? Still have some glaring deficiencies at important positions.

I honestly don’t think Clemson is as good as we give them credit for and I think they will have another subpar year especially with all of their coordinators gone. I’m not sold on Dabo and I don’t believe in his staff at all. I think Clemson will be back to trash within the next 5 years.

Advertisement
I don't think the OL will be an issue. They were a plus in the passing game and a big minus in the running game. We will have Rivers and Campbell back. Stroud was asked (prior to Manny firing) if he needed Portal offensive linemen for 2022. He said NO. He said he'd have Rivers and Campbell back as starters. So, they question is having serviceable backups.

With the instruction of Mario and Mirabal, I expect our run block to improve to a plus side. I think the pass blocking will be really good because it drastically improved over that last 4-5 game with Clarke at center calling out the blocking schemes. It will only get better with more continuity.
I am hopeful, but not as optimistic as you are. I agree that they did an above average job in pass protection, but the run game was objectively bad. I think some of that may be attributed to a rather mundane scheme, but still, when we needed a push in down and short, they usually couldn't convert, which suggests to me we just aren't good enough. I don't know what impact Rivers and Campbell will have but I just don't believe that 1 off-season with a new staff will change the dudes we have coming back.

We should win the Coastal now. **** we finished 2nd with a HS coach in Diaz. Winning the ACC? I think we are a year or 2 away.

Is a blessing but do we have the talent this year to go far this yr. It's awesome to land him but are we going to OK talent wise.

Who won the ACC this year?

Well we have more talent than them right now.

On paper, this is the worst roster we’ve had in a while.

TVD and better coaching will obfuscate that fact, but it will catch up to us eventually, barring any significant additions from the transfer portal.

We’re all excited about what Mario is doing, and I think we have a really bright future, but next season is a textbook rebuilding year until further notice.

Take the orange and green glasses off and then evaluate our front 7 personnel on defense before jumping down my throat.

My prediction is 9-3, but I could see us going either 10-2 or 8-4.

Advertisement
Back