*Coach Kool Gone...headed to Alabama*

Chad Thomas called someone out because they knocked him for leaving early (not realizing that Chad was a senior this year and has no eligibility left).

No one has said that Kool was a subpar coach. He is however a crap recruiter and that shows with the lack of depth we now have on the d-line.

****, for as awful as Golden was, he actually left the d-line is decent shape. This is no longer the case.
Crap recruiters dont mix well with UM, that **** cannot fly here and should not fly here

Advertisement
QUOTE="BigJoeGrizzly, post: 3254392, member: 14943"]I don’t have much of an issue about Kul’s recruits for Storm18. He landed his #1 target in Nesta. Chatfield is a punk and didn’t want him anyway. Could have used more depth but let’s see what they do in 19.

Other coaches on D my eyes are wide **** open however..[/QUOTE]

I got the feeling Nesta would have come regardless who the DL coach was. He wanted to be a Cane all the way and represent his crib.

Crap recruiters dont mix well with UM, that **** cannot fly here and should not fly here

That's the thing. Kool was probably the highest paid position coach on the staff (not counting Diaz and Brown whom are coordinators). It's rare to have grey beards that only do one thing. If you're making the money Kool was likely making, you have to recruit AND develop the talent. Not one or the other. Especially in today's climate in cfb, high revenue teams like Ohio St. and Bama have teams dedicated to recruited and evaluations now. Kool was a great teacher of talent, but I'm not going to miss him. We replace Kool with 1 of the 4 names constantly being thrown out there and we'll be okay. Now, if we go with a subpar hire, then I'll revisit this.

Can someone summarize? Is he headed to Bama now that Tampa hired a new DL coach or is he staying here?

There's obviously a disconnect between Kool and the rest of the staff. I don't think he ever was a "Miami guy". He was a good teacher and he needs to be replaced with a quality technician. It would be nice if the next guy actually cared about recruiting.

What I find really odd is Alabama's interest in him. He's not exactly known for developing big, 3-4 runstoppers. His lines at Missouri and Miami were not two-gap anchors who ate double teams and collapsed pockets with brute strength. They were mostly undersized guys who shot gaps and beat opponents with quickness. Obviously, Sabans' the biggest name in college football and the money is always going to be a plus at Bama but scheme wise, this hire makes no sense.

Advertisement
You will know the answer based on how quickly Richt hires a new coach.

If it is quick he was planning on Coach K's departure or asked him to pursue other opportunities

If it takes time then he was blindsided.

I think Richt wanted an upgrade at the position from a recruiting standpoint. Coach K was an awful recruiter and I don't think it takes a genius to recruit Miami lineman. Just need an aggressive scheme.
Every good HC has a list of potential replacements at every spot and is constantly updating it. Rats jump ship, and guys get fired, so a good HC is prepared at all times.

its been a tough few months for us canes fans. lose 3 in row, lose pete, lose the 2 dbs from AH, and now kool gone. whats next ?

I'm feeling this! not only does he not hold on the two DTs he didn't hold on to DJ, kid who recruited himself to UM. Not buying the story either.

from what i understand, he has been trying to get to the NFL for the past couple of years. Richt got his resignation when Kul thought he was getting the Bucs job. For about 24 hours, Kul was a coach without a team. He contacted Saban and this all came about. I don't expect Kul to be there more than a season or two. He's Jeff Stoutland 2.0

Advertisement
There's obviously a disconnect between Kool and the rest of the staff. I don't think he ever was a "Miami guy". He was a good teacher and he needs to be replaced with a quality technician. It would be nice if the next guy actually cared about recruiting.

What I find really odd is Alabama's interest in him. He's not exactly known for developing big, 3-4 runstoppers. His lines at Missouri and Miami were not two-gap anchors who ate double teams and collapsed pockets with brute strength. They were mostly undersized guys who shot gaps and beat opponents with quickness. Obviously, Sabans' the biggest name in college football and the money is always going to be a plus at Bama but scheme wise, this hire makes no sense.

This is the most odd/interesting thing about it, although you figure a good D-line coach is adept at teaching/coaching several techniques and styles but Kul was primarily known for the one bammer does not currently employ.

So he’s going up there not to “let’s meet at the QB” but to “let’s occupy the offensive line so one of our backers can meet at the QB or make the play”

Does Patrick do any recruiting in South Florida? Not sure if you would know, but are the recuits down there familiar with him?

He may have done some recruiting down here when he was at USF, not sure.

His personality is perfect for this area though. He's a better fit than Kul IMO.

This is the most odd/interesting thing about it, although you figure a good D-line coach is adept at teaching/coaching several techniques and styles but Kul was primarily known for the one bammer does not currently employ.

So he’s going up there not to “let’s meet at the QB” but to “let’s occupy the offensive line so one of our backers can meet at the QB or make the play”

Bama is multiple in the way they let their DL play. It all depends on situation. Regardless, if you can coach DL, you can coach DL.
Scheme doesn't make a difference.

Advertisement
I'm with @Dwinstitles on this one. Yes, the guy could obviously develop talent. However, he was not a fit down here, especially when it came to recruiting.

A good architect can blueprint a building for anywhere in the world, but just because he can draw up a good building doesn't mean that building is a good fit for every city in the world.

Give me an architect that isn't as skilled but knows the soul and vibe of the city he has been contracted for, and he'll beat out a top dog 9 times out of 10. These 17/18 year old kids are so malleable and impressionable, if a coach can't relate to them you might as well stop recruiting them right then and there. Bring in a dude that is constantly connecting with recruits, on a level above football, and see how quickly our DLine recruiting gets turned around.

We gon be fvckin soon again, but for right now we're just gonna have to keep walking around with a limp dyck.

I'm with @Dwinstitles on this one. Yes, the guy could obviously develop talent. However, he was not a fit down here, especially when it came to recruiting.

A good architect can blueprint a building for anywhere in the world, but just because he can draw up a good building doesn't mean that building is a good fit for every city in the world.

Give me an architect that isn't as skilled but knows the soul and vibe of the city he has been contracted for, and he'll beat out a top dog 9 times out of 10. These 17/18 year old kids are so malleable and impressionable, if a coach can't relate to them you might as well stop recruiting them right then and there. Bring in a dude that is constantly connecting with recruits, on a level above football, and see how quickly our DLine recruiting gets turned around.

We gon be fvckin soon again, but for right now we're just gonna have to keep walking around with a limp dyck.
Coach Kul I had a red flag from him a long time ago, this cycle we saw the chinks in his armor and Im happy with this I really am. We need someone who can relate to kids and clean up in sfla and pick who the **** he wants.

from what i understand, he has been trying to get to the NFL for the past couple of years. Richt got his resignation when Kul thought he was getting the Bucs job. For about 24 hours, Kul was a coach without a team. He contacted Saban and this all came about. I don't expect Kul to be there more than a season or two. He's Jeff Stoutland 2.0
When you see a guy interviewing for NFL jobs you know that's where he really wants to be. I'm sure he'd love to coach less hours for more money and not have to recruit at all. Rick should not be surprised by this at all.

Advertisement
He may have done some recruiting down here when he was at USF, not sure.

His personality is perfect for this area though. He's a better fit than Kul IMO.
See I dont know Patrick all I know from here is he can teach, so this dude can recruit Im guessing?

Kool was a technician and that is all he brought to the table. He has no personality and thinks extremely high of himself.

He completely burned bridges at Mizzou and even sent out the D playbook bc he was ****ed he didn't get the DC job.

When you see a guy interviewing for NFL jobs you know that's where he really wants to be. I'm sure he'd love to coach less hours for more money and not have to recruit at all. Rick should not be surprised by this at all.
He wont be at bama long maybe 2-3 years

It was the ***** thing to do. With RJ and Norton leaving plus Chad graduating he risks losing his credibility by the DL taking a step back. So what does he do? He gets out while he can and goes to a place where he collects an easy paycheck. Alabega’s name sells itself he doesn’t even have to recruit much if at all.

Kul better be careful he’s quickly becoming the Jedd Fisch of defensive coaches.

Advertisement
Back