CMR: "We gotta fill that stadium" for Ga Tech game

In reality if you compare Miami to every other school with a similar situation of being in a Metro city with pro franchises we fare just about the best of all of them except for USC & UCLA.

Bad argument. Recruits aren't choosing between Metro city programs. They're comparing us to Florida, Florida State, Alabama, and Georgia. They're not comparing us to USC, Pitt, and Houston.

Advertisement
In reality if you compare Miami to every other school with a similar situation of being in a Metro city with pro franchises we fare just about the best of all of them except for USC & UCLA.

Bad argument. Recruits aren't choosing between Metro city programs. They're comparing us to Florida, Florida State, Alabama, and Georgia. They're not comparing us to USC, Pitt, and Houston.

You're right, but Miami's reality is they're a metro school and most metro schools have the same issues.

Look at an aerial view of our stadium at kickoff and right after halftime (really the entire second half is bad). There are no teams with our lineage that has a crowd that sparse.

Yes, at some FSU/UF/etc games the corners aren't completely filled out, but the lower sections are densely packed.

I'll also admit that part of it is the stadium itself. Seats are so spread out that a crowd of 50,000 is spread out and adds to the "thin" effect. I agree with the poster that suggested us tarping some of the upper sections. This would condense the crowd and make it look fuller.

Most other stadiums don't have 4 full upper deck sections. ****, even the OB had the entire East Endzone missing (palm trees, scoreboard, etc). This is why 45,000 in the OB looked pretty packed. They were more condensed.

Hope that makes sense. Kind of rambled a bit.

The entire West endzone upper deck was supposed to be tarped off and capacity reduced to 55K for the majority of UM games, but like so many other things that never happened. There were supposed to be large banners hanging...

sun-life-university-of-miami.jpg

A tiny private school shouldn't be playing in a 65k seat stadium. When we're good, we usually average around 50 to 55k. That's pretty good for a tiny private school with its alums spread all over the place.

This isn't Athens, GA where UGA is the city. There are pluses and minuses to every location. Our pluses far outweigh our minuses. If you're a good HC and win here then you'll get great fan support. There will be plenty enough fan support to recruit well here just like there's always been.

Advertisement
Part of the problem too is so many fans are very late coming in the stadium. I walked in 30 min early vs Toledo and the parking lots were absolutely packed with people drinking and eating. At kickoff the stadium was very empty, and by mid way through and to the end of the 1st quarter, it was a lot more full. Same thing happened vs Bethune

They might not have said it out loud, but we do know for a fact that other schools use it negatively recruit against us. Even former Canes, like Lamar Thomas when he was at Louisville was using it.

LT is traitor scum and I wouldn't **** on him if he was on fire.

[TWEET]918538996854206464[/TWEET]
Hate that richt has to do this but desperate times calls for desperate measures I guess...

Advertisement
I can't believe people are actually arguing over this, and I can't believe someone said they'd rather watch the game at home.

I buy large chunks of tickets for several away games and I've asked people who live in those cities (who I only know because of the Canes) if they want to go and they say they'd rather watch it on TV.

And I get this response somewhat frequently.

You're right, but Miami's reality is they're a metro school and most metro schools have the same issues.

Most metro schools don't compare to us. UCLA is a state school with 45,000 students. Houston is a state school with 42,000 students. University of Louisville is a state school with 23,000 students. USC is private, but has 42,000 students (24K undergrad). There's no comparison to Miami. Vandy and Northwestern are the only comparisons, but they suck at football for the most part.

Advertisement
If we can get 55k there we've done well. Place will get loud.

As far as "why should I go when I can watch from the comfort of home", how about supporting our players and helping give them a real home field advantage for an important game. For pretty minimal cost.

yeah, if we get 55K, that will be pretty **** loud, especially in the stadium's current configuration.

As for game day atmosphere, the students could stand to show up. I think they will on Saturday, but for Bethune and Toledo, their section looked downright pathetic.

[TWEET]918538996854206464[/TWEET]
Hate that richt has to do this but desperate times calls for desperate measures I guess...

I swear to God if I turn on my tv and see another weak *** crowd at kickoff...

I think Im catching the sarcasm here.. if not, the irony is just as good!

This is not desperate. Bill Snyder writes letters to the students all the time asking them to be there and thanking them as well. They don't have issues like we do but its not a bad thing for Richt to do this.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back