Clock rule changes

Advertisement
Ya know, if they pass a rule cutting the field size in half, we could possible build an on campus stadium.
kombucha-girl.gif

Seriously, not seeing y all the moaning & groaning. There’s a running clock in the NFL. Furthermore a stopped clock saves, what, 3-4 seconds/per? The clock stoppage will still take place w/in the final 2 minutes of each half.

I’ll be in the minority, but I like the change. It could’ve been a lot worst which some proposal of a running clock on all plays, including incomplete passes.

NCAA literally gets it wrong every time. This will produce more fake injuries to stop the clock.

You have to remove a player for the rest of the series for any injury or else it will still be done to stop uptempo teams.
The reason they are doing this is b/c games are running too long. I personally don't mind the long games but a lot of fans do and more importantly the TV networks don't like it b/c they have games running into each other. A network like ESPN (or pick your network) wants the 12PM game to end before the 330 game begins and often those 12PM games are not over at 330PM.

If you pay attention, they're not exactly waiting for the chains to be set to re-start the clock most of the game anyways. It's usually only in the last few minutes of each half that they really tighten down on starting and stopping the clock.

Advertisement
Seriously, not seeing y all the moaning & groaning. There’s a running clock in the NFL. Furthermore a stopped clock saves, what, 3-4 seconds/per? The clock stoppage will still take place w/in the final 2 minutes of each half.

I’ll be in the minority, but I like the change. It could’ve been a lot worst which some proposal of a running clock on all plays, including incomplete passes.
The lunacy of the proposal of a running clock following incomplete passes pretty much tainted anything they were going to actually enact for me. Could only view them as a bunch of monkeys in a conference room in Indianapolis throwing plates of spaghetti against the wall as a few TV execs were on the line trying to get them to focus as the chimps from the SEC progressed to hurling their own fece$.

The reason they are doing this is b/c games are running too long. I personally don't mind the long games but a lot of fans do and more importantly the TV networks don't like it b/c they have games running into each other. A network like ESPN (or pick your network) wants the 12PM game to end before the 330 game begins and often those 12PM games are not over at 330PM.

Define "too long". If the rule has been in place forever, how is "the rule" causing the overages? Maybeeee...it's something else?

EDIT: I blame the Gattis "look at me" offense...

Advertisement
Define "too long". If the rule has been in place forever, how is "the rule" causing the overages? Maybeeee...it's something else?

EDIT: I blame the Gattis "look at me" offense...
I just told you one of the main 'too long' considerations. The games are running into each other which the TV networks do not like. I personally wouldn't mind if the games went 4 hours, but it causes problems with the networks scheduling them.

Whatever it takes to stop having to wait for the Pickleball championship to end so we can catch the first half of our game because the TV time scheduling is a travesty, I’m good with

Advertisement
More context on this, the average time of a game in 1996 was just over 3 hours and now it is just over 3.5 hours. This is apparently mostly driven by teams moving to the spread offense. They are running more plays, passing more and scoring more which means more clock stoppages. In addition to the scheduling issues with games running into each other, they are worried about viewership with younger viewers. This article is from September:

But the television networks and their annoying timeouts aren’t to blame. Nor are the long replay reviews. It’s not even the epic weather delays, because even if you take those out the average college football game has lengthened by four minutes since 2017, now up to an average of 3 hours, 22 minutes, even though the number of plays is going down.
“Four minutes is a lot,” said NCAA coordinator of officials Steve Shaw, who tracks the data. “The why is very complex.”

Perhaps, but there is one main, overriding reason why game times have gone up so much lately: passing. The evolution of college football offenses toward being more pass-heavy leads to more scoring, which results in clock stoppages but also more first downs and more incompletions — although incompletions are also down because teams are becoming better at passing, thus leading to all those first downs, touchdowns and field goals. It’s not that teams are passing more, it’s that they’re good at it.
FBS-wide per-game averages (both teams)​
YEAR​
INCOMPLETIONS​
FIRST DOWNS​
TD+FG​
2002​
27.9​
39.5​
9.1​
2012​
25.8​
40.9​
9.7​
2022​
23.9​
43.4​
10.3​
Meanwhile, the number of running plays, which inherently means more times the clock will run after a play, has gone down. There were 79.0 rushes per game in 2002, then 77.6 in 2012 and 74.6 so far this season.
There’s no evidence this is going away. Passing works. And college football already has gone through a litany of tweaks to clock rules through the years, with a couple of more quick fixes perhaps coming. (More on that later.) But the length of games is a looming issue that everyone involved, including the television networks, is interested in exploring.
“In a perfect world, games could always be 3:15 to 3:30 in length, that would be the wheelhouse,” said Nick Dawson, ESPN senior vice president for programming. “I would say the majority, anecdotally, fits in that window. But certainly, there are exceptions to the rule. It’s hard because there’s a balance. If it’s a great competitive game, 56-52 game that runs four hours, nobody’s complaining, right? If it’s a 60-10 game that takes four hours, then you run into the issues.”
But Dawson said there’s a concern about holding the interest of young viewers, which is why he would be open to exploring more creative ideas, such as more advertising while the game is on air, in exchange for fewer TV timeouts.
“From a TV perspective, I don’t know that we’ve seen a negative impact yet based on game length, based on viewership. But I do think we have enough data on just viewing trends and fandom trends and younger demos to understand that this could be an issue moving forward; it could be an issue in the future,”

Advertisement
The rule has been in place since 1968. Were they having "trouble" with 4-hour games before the color-TV was widespread?

Also, wouldn't it be easier to just extend the 3.5-hour TV windows to 4 hours, if that truly were the issue? Or, they could just go full-MLB and meddle further with the integrity of the game in the name of "fan engagement" and expediency. New rules - huddles are mandatory and you can only pass the ball X# of times in a half. We will never again have to worry about missing that 3:30 kick on ESPNU because Ball Sate v. Western Kentucky is running long.

I just told you one of the main 'too long' considerations. The games are running into each other which the TV networks do not like. I personally wouldn't mind if the games went 4 hours, but it causes problems with the networks scheduling them.

I never denied that the games were running into each other. My point is different from that, which is to target things that MAKE SENSE.

Again, the pro leagues have put WAAAAAY more analysis into what is causing these things to happen. The NCAA just makes scattershot rule changes and acts like they've actually done something.

Yea, I like the change as well. All of these leagues are struggling with keeping eyes on these long *** sporting events. I’m for anything that makes the game quicker

Yea, I like the change as well. All of these leagues are struggling with keeping eyes on these long *** sporting events. I’m for anything that makes the game quicker

There needs to be a balance between viewership and the game itself.

Stop the clock on incompletions and first downs UNTIL THE BALL IS SPOTTED. Then wind the clock. COMPROMISE.

Also, knock 5 seconds off the play clock. Problem solved.

Advertisement
Back