Clock rule changes

I know the internet message boards say that he loves time of possession but the stats say otherwise

2022 - 30:38 (50 in nation)
2021 - 29:49 (67 in nation)
2020 - 26:10 (119 in nation)
2019 - 28:06 (106 in nation)
2018 - 28:02 (105 in nation)
Weird that he had all this success going fast at Oregon and then came to Miami and purposely tried to run the slowest offense possible. It's almost like time of possession means absolutely nothing in terms of success in modern football.

Advertisement
Watching games on TV, you tend to not notice it as much but when you're at the games, the two things that slow the game to a crawl are random commercial breaks (not after scores or between quarters but at miscellaneous points in the game) and replays that take 10 minutes when everyone in the stadium can come to a conclusion watching a 10 second video on the jumbotron.

The lunacy of the proposal of a running clock following incomplete passes pretty much tainted anything they were going to actually enact for me. Could only view them as a bunch of monkeys in a conference room in Indianapolis throwing plates of spaghetti against the wall as a few TV execs were on the line trying to get them to focus as the chimps from the SEC progressed to hurling their own fece$.
ben stiller GIF

The reason they are doing this is b/c games are running too long. I personally don't mind the long games but a lot of fans do and more importantly the TV networks don't like it b/c they have games running into each other. A network like ESPN (or pick your network) wants the 12PM game to end before the 330 game begins and often those 12PM games are not over at 330PM.

Valid points.
But no such thing as a college football game running too long if you are truly a fan of the sport.

Advertisement
I doubt he even cares. That’s why.

Put yourself in his shoes, what would you be worried about right now? Especially after last year.

Look, I don’t care if you want to continually take shots, that’s your prerogative, I just don’t think it’s an accurate nor relevant take. Also, just an assumption here, I think he relies on his offensive coordinator to a greater extent than your average “offensive minded“ coach. I think this ball control, pro style bro trope about him is, in the present day, not accurate.

I would also add this, Mario played under Dennis Erickson, who was very aggressive about spreading the field and throwing the ball. Now, that's not to say that Mario might not have been happier on a play where he got to block for Stephen McGuire busting a run up the middle than he was just fanning out while Craig Erickson hit Randal Hill for a long pass, but still.

Mario has rarely been an OC himself. He doesn't have the Dennis Erickson ego about "his system". Mario may have tendencies, but he's not nearly as dogmatic as the guys who take their playbooks from school to school.

People are acting as if the fact that Mario recruits great OLs means he just wants to run the ball. Meanwhile, who was on those great UM offensive lines with Mario? Leon Searcy. Mike Sullivan. Barry Panfil. Rod Holder. Darren Handy. Rudy Barber.

And we still threw the ball. A lot.

I don't completely disagree with you but the NCAA doesn't want to change too much at once. Small changes to see how it impacts the game and roll it back if it isn't good

I'm not asking to change all the rules at once, I just presented all of the ones that would have an impact.

But to your point about "too much at once", just go back to what I said on running the clock ONCE THE BALL IS SPOTTED. It is a medium-impact change. It allows the offense to not be penalized for things such as moving the chains and spotting the ball, but it also allows the clock to start running while the offense huddles and/or lines up.

That's all I'm saying. The NCAA takes BIG swings at minor problems to act as if they are actually doing something of value. They could take medium swings at multiple things (such as my list of changes), and it would likely have a greater impact on the "problem" without changing the actual content of the game.

If anyone thinks this will shorten the time of games they’re kidding themselves.
Looking forward to the 4:15 countdown during commercial breaks, smdh.

I both love that clock (for transparency purposes) and HATE IT (as the obvious reminder of how much commercial time dictates game stoppages).

Advertisement
Stupid idea…
Can they show 20 second split-screen commercials during huddles, instead of reducing game time?

That Enos offensive would have been an advertisers dream.

Stupid idea…
Can they show 20 second split-screen commercials during huddles, instead of reducing game time?

That Enos offensive would have been an advertisers dream.

Advertisers would be clamoring to put ads on Maryland games...

🤣 🤣 🤣

Advertisement
Valid points.
But no such thing as a college football game running too long if you are truly a fan of the sport.
I agree although I also acknowledge not everyone feels that way. I have a very good friend who is into sports and enjoys watching college football; when he heard this he was happy as his opinion was the game was too long. Now obviously that is one person, but I know he is not the only person who feels this way.

I think what we often forget is that those of us frequent college football message boards are the exceptions. The reason you see the Barry Jackson's of the world (regardless of your opinion of what he should and shouldn't share) post 'no ****' articles is b/c it is news to people who don't live on the message boards and consume every piece of information as soon as it is available like most of us do.

The sport's goal is to make it favorable to as many people as possible. Obviously that has the risk of making the product unappealing to everyone, but when you are handing out TV contracts that bring in close to $100M per school per year, they can't just appeal to the diehards but I (personally) do not think this is the type of change that is going to cause them to lose any fans (even if I don't like it personally).

Sounds like a preparation ruling by the NCAA to save universities who play football some money.

They must have gotten wind that the IRS is going to start taxing games - by the minute on the field.

Hail - they tax everything else . . .

Advertisement
Weird that he had all this success going fast at Oregon and then came to Miami and purposely tried to run the slowest offense possible. It's almost like time of possession means absolutely nothing in terms of success in modern football.
We were horrible.
Maybe the thinking was, the more dead time during the game, the better?
Kill clock…work it for that 0-0 tie in regulation??

*hopefully the sarcasm came through

The only time an "injury" happens to stop the clock is under 2 minutes in either half. The other fake injuries are to slow the tempo of the game and not clock related...

This time change won't impact that issue either way
Yeah but the clock does in fact stop. It just starts on the whistle. That and the absolutely ludicrous process of reviewing a call are what stop the game.

We were horrible.
Maybe the thinking was, the more dead time during the game, the better?
Kill clock…work it for that 0-0 tie in regulation??

*hopefully the sarcasm came through
The funny/sad thing is, they actually had this strategy against A&M. Just run the clock down, don't worry about actually scoring touchdowns and trying to win, just drain the clock so the score looks close at the end.

Advertisement
Back