Clock rule changes

1) shirt sponsorship;
2) small, embedded ads during the action;
3) halftime show is straight ads;
4) halve (or more) the commercial time during the game.

I know, they'll never even consider the obvious. This change is lipstick on a pig.

Advertisement
I like the change. Less wasted time. As for commercials, there's a reason I have a DVR.

But what I don’t get is, we complain about our cut of TV contract $$….where do fans think that loot is coming from?? Lol. It’s coming from commercials & other forms of advertisement. Imo, commercials during the NCAA Tourney is more cumbersome than CFB commercials. We typically see commercials during CFB games when appropriate like teams calling a time out, injuries, change of possessions, etc.

Anyways, like I said, I’ll be in the minority on this one, but I like it. I don’t think this takes away from the integrity of the product at all.

Last edited:
There's almost always a better way of doing things, so it's just a matter of finding it.

I've felt with advertising, if they charged more, had less of it, which would make advertisers be more creative, then maybe I wouldn't fast forward through it. I've felt that way with television in general.

I'm sure there's a bunch of simulations and analytics involved, so who am I to question it. Good discussion regardless.

It's a very fair point. When I was at NASCAR, we used to talk about the "engagement" and "activation" numbers. We had stats and analytics that proved our fans watched the commercials more, acted on the commercials more, and were more loyal to NASCAR adverstisers than other fans were to other sports adverstisers.

Football, generally, has had it very easy for a long time. The NFL has long enjoyed touting the price of Super Bowl ads. But now it's time to work a little harder and dig a little deeper, it's sooo easy to skip the commercials.

That's all. And if the POINT of making the games "shorter" is to help people stay tuned, then that makes the commercial time MORE valuable, and we can't cry over cutting 5 minutes out of halftime. Give the announcers less time to talk. Show these announcers some old video of prime-career Chris Berman, when he would blast through the other games in an entertaining fashion (and in less time).

1) shirt sponsorship;

I know, they'll never even consider the obvious. This change is lipstick on a pig.

Pretty much nailed it.

NASCAR does ads where you can still see the live action in picture-in-picture. Do the same thing for football, do 10-15 second ads when teams are substituting players and let the announcers have a quick water break.

Advertisement
Seriously, not seeing y all the moaning & groaning. There’s a running clock in the NFL. Furthermore a stopped clock saves, what, 3-4 seconds/per? The clock stoppage will still take place w/in the final 2 minutes of each half.

I’ll be in the minority, but I like the change. It could’ve been a lot worst which some proposal of a running clock on all plays, including incomplete passes.

I’m not sure I agree.

If this rule change stays as this, I will have our answer at the end of the season when we can look at the number of plays per game versus the past average. I say this because I do think it will effectively reduce the number of plays per game.

By how much? I’m going to say about 10%, which is significant.

Last edited:
Why would the guy who loves ball control be upset that his play style will now be rewarded even more for controlling the ball?

I doubt he even cares. That’s why.

Put yourself in his shoes, what would you be worried about right now? Especially after last year.

Look, I don’t care if you want to continually take shots, that’s your prerogative, I just don’t think it’s an accurate nor relevant take. Also, just an assumption here, I think he relies on his offensive coordinator to a greater extent than your average “offensive minded“ coach. I think this ball control, pro style bro trope about him is, in the present day, not accurate.

Advertisement
I’m not sure I agree.

If this rule change stays as this, I will have our answer at the end of the season when we can look at the number of plays per game versus the past average. I say this because I do think it will effectively reduce the number of players per game.

Hey By how much? I’m going to say about 10%, which is significant.

Well, CFB currently avg. 180 plays/game as opposed to the NFL avg. 155 plays/game. The NFL doesn’t have stoppage of clock in the final two minutes of either half. They have a running clock as long as u’re in bounds. I would think that 180 drops to about 165-170 on avg. So yeah, I’m thinking 5-10%. Personally, I don’t think that’s significant. It’s only significant for those who have inept offenses, imho; but, we shall see.

I doubt he even cares. That’s why.

Put yourself in his shoes, what would you be worried about right now? Especially after last year.

Look, I don’t care if you want to continually take shots, that’s your prerogative, I just don’t think it’s an accurate nor relevant take. Also, just an assumption here, I think he relies on his offensive coordinator to a greater extent than your average “offensive minded“ coach. I think this ball control, pro style bro trope about him is, in the present day, not accurate.
Why would saying the changes suit his style be a shot?

Why would the guy who loves ball control be upset that his play style will now be rewarded even more for controlling the ball?
I know the internet message boards say that he loves time of possession but the stats say otherwise

2022 - 30:38 (50 in nation)
2021 - 29:49 (67 in nation)
2020 - 26:10 (119 in nation)
2019 - 28:06 (106 in nation)
2018 - 28:02 (105 in nation)

Advertisement
I think this rule change sucks so much I don't have a word for the amount of suckage.

I don't remember sitting down for a Miami football game and thinking I want less football in this game!! Less football plays! Less plays for more Hurricanes to get snaps!

I want more football.

Make the quarters 16 minutes long! I don't care.

I don't wait 8 months for football and think I want to see less games.

If you think games are too long leave.

If you are watching games turn the channel.

We have buffoons trying to fix a problem that isn't there. The things that make a game drag on is the commercial breaks, the fake injuries, the long targeting reviews, and instant replay challenges.

Just like in golf trying to make a ball that doesn't go as far!

They tried to tinker with clock rules back in 2006 I think. It was a disaster, and they immediately changed them back next year.

NCAA literally gets it wrong every time. This will produce more fake injuries to stop the clock.

You have to remove a player for the rest of the series for any injury or else it will still be done to stop uptempo teams.
The only time an "injury" happens to stop the clock is under 2 minutes in either half. The other fake injuries are to slow the tempo of the game and not clock related...

This time change won't impact that issue either way

Advertisement
This rule change was known about months ago (just got the official green light). Boy y'all would be ****ed if you knew the other proposals lol....

Dude, you're full of ****.

Once again, you do not even bother to address how THE RULE about stopping the clock after first downs has actually contributed to the problem. It hasn't. In fact, when you take into account the CONFLICTING things cited in the various articles (yes, we have more passing, but we have more ACCURATE passing, thus fewer incompletions), you can't even begin to blame ONE RULE for this phenomenon.

In fact, one of the newer things that LOOKS LIKE a delay (the refs holding the ball until the defense has a chance to make substitutions after the offense does) is a product of offenses trying to snap the ball FASTER than the play clock time that is alloted.

So it's simple, as I've pointed out:

1. On FORMER "clock-stop" situations (first downs and incompletions), just stop the clock temporarily and wind it once the ball is spotted.
2. Take 5 seconds off the play clock.
3. Cut 5 minutes off of halftime.

Problem solved. But the NCAA picking and choosing and targeting ONE particular rule (as if that is the ONE factor to blame) is a joke.
I don't completely disagree with you but the NCAA doesn't want to change too much at once. Small changes to see how it impacts the game and roll it back if it isn't good

1) shirt sponsorship;

I would be perfectly OK if they just got rid of halftime shows and ran twenty minutes of straight commercials if it meant fewer TV timeouts during the actual game.

Advertisement
Back