Tears Clemson Tears

Advertisement
Curious if you all would still rank Dabo #2 behind Saban in active college coaches. Not talking championships necessarily, but just head coaching in general. If you could hire any coach not named Saban, who would you go with? I know this will get me crucified but I think Jimbo is a better head coach than Dabo.

jimbo hasn't done **** without a first round quarterback either, they should have lost 4 games his last year with winston but they were beyond lucky that season

mrw GIF

As a recruiter yes, he’s still a top dog, as a pure coach, I put him behind Lincoln Riley.

I wouldn’t take Jumbo over Dabo, but I would definitely take Riley over Dabo regardless of Natty’s.

A good one to think on, would you take Ryan Day over Dabo?

I can see a strong argument for Riley but it is a little odd that he hasn't been able make it to a title game despite all that talent. Oklahoma is on the short list of schools that have a realistic recruiting base and resources to win a title. Riley has had multiple QBs just as elite as Dabos (maybe moreso) and had virtually no competition in his conference (Riley also had a superior OL). But whereas Dabo won multiple titles, Riley had zero. I just have to wonder why Dabo could manage beating the best of the SEC but Riley couldn't.

Ryan Day- I need a five year window to figure him out. Larry Coker's first three years as a HC were even better than Days. Day could still be cruising on the talent that Meyer brought in. I think his matchup with Michigan and Michigan St. will be telling. I suspect this will finally be the year Harbaugh gets his win over Ohio State.

Last edited:
I think Carl Malone claimed he was amphibious back in the day. He could shoot left AND right.
This ability was just one of this many innate talents; can’t be taught or learned. You’re either born amphibious, or you’re not. 🧐

Advertisement
They've been dominant since '08. I'm ready to see them go down.

Dabo took over for Bowden middle of 2008. 9-5 (2009), 6-7 (2010) and 10-4 (2011)—but was rolled 70-33 in Orange Bowl, which didn't bode well.

Brent Venables got on board in 2012 and that's when the program hit another gear under Dabo.

Program hasn't been the same offensively since Jeff Scott took the South Florida last season—Clemson wrecked in playoffs by Ohio State, even with Trevor.

No Lawrence and no Scott has exposed Tony Elliott, while DJ is looking like their Kyle Wright and the Tigers have big time Canes 2005-2006 vibes going on.

I can see a strong argument for Riley but it is a little odd that he hasn't been able make it to a title game despite all that talent. Oklahoma is on the short list of schools that have a realistic recruiting base and resources to win a title. Riley has had multiple QBs just as elite as Dabos (maybe moreso) and had virtually no competition in his conference (Riley also had a superior OL). But whereas Dabo won multiple titles, Riley had zero. I just have to wonder why Dabo could manage beating the best of the SEC but Riley couldn't.

Ryan Day- I need a five year window to figure him out. Larry Coker's first three years as a HC were even better than Days. Day could still be cruising on the talent that Meyer brought in. I think his matchup with Michigan and Michigan St. will be telling. I suspect this will finally be the year Harbaugh gets his win over Ohio State.
Oklahoma has too porous a defense.

CFP:

2017: Lost to UGA 48-54
2018: Lost to Bama 34–45
2019: Lost to LSU 28–63

One does not win NCs surrendering 54 points a game.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Those are fair points.

I think Riley hasn’t figured out the Defensive side of the ball & that’s affected their title chances more than anything, also from a recruiting standpoint I don’t think Oklahoma until recently has placed a high premium on recruiting high caliber front 7 trench players in the same way that Bob Stoops used to. I think that’s been Riley’s biggest downfall is that he doesn’t really care about much except for QB’s & Offense in general, he’s usually left Defense to fend for themselves.

But I think this season is the year Oklahoma actually has a good enough Defense (at least in the secondary) to compete with the SEC powers, also the SEC is way down this year, it’s just Bama & UGA as the playoff possible teams & both of them are beatable if you have a potent enough offense.

Dabo has had the luxury of Venables to run his Defense for him for almost a decade, so there’s a continuity within Clemson’s system there. And ironically enough, Venables came from Oklahoma under Bob Stoops..
Riley has only had Alex Grinch for 3 years & their Defense is just now catching up to being on par with the offense in terms of talent.

If you gave Lincoln Riley Dabo’s teams, I think he would’ve won probably the same amount if not more titles than Dabo has, but if you gave Dabo’s Riley’s teams I don’t think Dabo leads Okla to a single National title. JMO though.

They’ve been really good to elite for pretty much a decade but I still can’t wrap my head around them being an elite power...for a majority of my life they were a running joke and FSU’s whipping boys, I guess it really is all about who you land at QB

Dabo took over for Bowden middle of 2008. 9-5 (2009), 6-7 (2010) and 10-4 (2011)—but was rolled 70-33 in Orange Bowl, which didn't bode well.

Brent Venables got on board in 2012 and that's when the program hit another gear under Dabo.

Program hasn't been the same offensively since Jeff Scott took the South Florida last season—Clemson wrecked in playoffs by Ohio State, even with Trevor.

No Lawrence and no Scott has exposed Tony Elliott, while DJ is looking like their Kyle Wright and the Tigers have big time Canes 2005-2006 vibes going on.
I was talking about Bama bro

Advertisement
Those are fair points.

I think Riley hasn’t figured out the Defensive side of the ball & that’s affected their title chances more than anything, also from a recruiting standpoint I don’t think Oklahoma until recently has placed a high premium on recruiting high caliber front 7 trench players in the same way that Bob Stoops used to. I think that’s been Riley’s biggest downfall is that he doesn’t really care about much except for QB’s & Offense in general, he’s usually left Defense to fend for themselves.

But I think this season is the year Oklahoma actually has a good enough Defense (at least in the secondary) to compete with the SEC powers, also the SEC is way down this year, it’s just Bama & UGA as the playoff possible teams & both of them are beatable if you have a potent enough offense.

Dabo has had the luxury of Venables to run his Defense for him for almost a decade, so there’s a continuity within Clemson’s system there. And ironically enough, Venables came from Oklahoma under Bob Stoops..
Riley has only had Alex Grinch for 3 years & their Defense is just now catching up to being on par with the offense in terms of talent.

If you gave Lincoln Riley Dabo’s teams, I think he would’ve won probably the same amount if not more titles than Dabo has, but if you gave Dabo’s Riley’s teams I don’t think Dabo leads Okla to a single National title. JMO though.

Interesting stats for Oklahoma this year at the end of the first half:

09/04/21: Leading Tulane 37-14
09/11/21: Leading West Carolina 45-0
09/18/21: Leading Nebraska 7-3
09/25/21: Trailing West Virginia 7-10
10/02/21: Leading K State 13-10
10/09/21: Trailing Texas 20-38
10/16/21: Leading TCU 24-14
10/23/21: Trailing Kansas 0-10

Not certain if I can recall the last time that the Sooners were trailing at half time in three of their first eight games. In the Nebraska and K State games they had very narrow leads in a low scoring first half as well.

Advertisement
As a recruiter yes, he’s still a top dog, as a pure coach, I put him behind Lincoln Riley.

I wouldn’t take Jumbo over Dabo, but I would definitely take Riley over Dabo regardless of Natty’s.

A good one to think on, would you take Ryan Day over Dabo?
I believe I take Dabo over Ryan Day.

I take Day.... ALL **** DAY* over Manuela.

*see what I did there?

jimbo hasn't done **** without a first round quarterback either, they should have lost 4 games his last year with winston but they were beyond lucky that season
Stan Dobard

Advertisement
Back