Tears Clemson Tears

Curious if you all would still rank Dabo #2 behind Saban in active college coaches. Not talking championships necessarily, but just head coaching in general. If you could hire any coach not named Saban, who would you go with? I know this will get me crucified but I think Jimbo is a better head coach than Dabo.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Curious if you all would still rank Dabo #2 behind Saban in active college coaches. Not talking championships necessarily, but just head coaching in general. If you could hire any coach not named Saban, who would you go with? I know this will get me crucified but I think Jimbo is a better head coach than Dabo.
As a recruiter yes, he’s still a top dog, as a pure coach, I put him behind Lincoln Riley.

I wouldn’t take Jumbo over Dabo, but I would definitely take Riley over Dabo regardless of Natty’s.

A good one to think on, would you take Ryan Day over Dabo?

This year’s Clemson squad is reminding me a lot of the 2006 Hurricanes. The defense for Miami was still very talented, but the offense was so poor (and understaffed) that we struggled to score more than 20 points per game.

Advertisement
Dabo was never looked at as a X’s & O’s genius, he was never even a coordinator or play caller.

His bread & butter has always been recruiting, he’s never had the reputation in college football as an offensive guru.

And even more, his addition of Venables is what really started the transition. He won 9 games and 6 games his first two years there (after the initial interim year). Once he hired Venables in 2011, they've won 10+ games every single season.

Again, a HUGE portion of a job as a HC is who you surround yourself with. Dabo is not an insanely good football coach. He doesn't have any cutting edge schemes. As a matter of fact, his offenses have been occasionally criticized by NFL folks as being overly simplistic and not preparing players for the next level like they possibly could be. But he has Venables, and he's an elite recruiter (cheater or not, he and his staff identify good players and they sign them). That's what a lot of good HC's do best.

And even more, his addition of Venables is what really started the transition. He won 9 games and 6 games his first two years there (after the initial interim year). Once he hired Venables in 2011, they've won 10+ games every single season.

Again, a HUGE portion of a job as a HC is who you surround yourself with. Dabo is not an insanely good football coach. He doesn't have any cutting edge schemes. As a matter of fact, his offenses have been occasionally criticized by NFL folks as being overly simplistic and not preparing players for the next level like they possibly could be. But he has Venables, and he's an elite recruiter (cheater or not, he and his staff identify good players and they sign them). That's what a lot of good HC's do best.
Venables, Jeff Scott & to a lesser extent Chad Morris were really the ones responsible from a coaching standpoint for helping build Clemson into a powerhouse.

From a recruiting standpoint Dabo did a great job in finding Deshaun Watson & getting a title out of him & then transitioning from Watson, to Kelly, to Lawrence.

But the problem is, they haven’t supplemented the coaching changes to equal value to the loss of talent to the NFL draft. Clemson for a hot lil minute had a WR U thing going on, but has since not found elite level WR’s, then they dropped the ball on the QB with betting the house on DJ Ukulele.

However, they have a kid coming in the 2022 class Cade Klubnik outta Westlake Texas (which is a premier QB factory, Drew Brees, Nick Foles, Sam Ehlinger all went there), who has phenomenal arm talent. So it will be interesting to see if they stick with Tony Elliot as the OC next year & if they do, will they stick with DJU as the QB, because Dabo has shown he’s not afraid to start a TF QB.

Venables, Jeff Scott & to a lesser extent Chad Morris were really the ones responsible from a coaching standpoint for helping build Clemson into a powerhouse.

From a recruiting standpoint Dabo did a great job in finding Deshaun Watson & getting a title out of him & then transitioning from Watson, to Kelly, to Lawrence.

But the problem is, they haven’t supplemented the coaching changes to equal value to the loss of talent to the NFL draft. Clemson for a hot lil minute had a WR U thing going on, but has since not found elite level WR’s, then they dropped the ball on the QB with betting the house on DJ Ukulele.

However, they have a kid coming in the 2022 class Cade Klubnik outta Westlake Texas (which is a premier QB factory, Drew Brees, Nick Foles, Sam Ehlinger all went there), who has phenomenal arm talent. So it will be interesting to see if they stick with Tony Elliot as the OC next year & if they do, will they stick with DJU as the QB, because Dabo has shown he’s not afraid to start a TF QB.

Think Taisun winds up portaling?

Advertisement
Advertisement
As a recruiter yes, he’s still a top dog, as a pure coach, I put him behind Lincoln Riley.

I wouldn’t take Jumbo over Dabo, but I would definitely take Riley over Dabo regardless of Natty’s.

A good one to think on, would you take Ryan Day over Dabo?
No wouldn't take Day over Dabs...maybe OSU recruits itself

Advertisement
Back