Class Impact: Marcus Crowley exits

View as article

Fred Taylor is the best-case comparison.

Now I'm talking myself into him more. The physical ability is there. He's gotta show it first though I won't fall for the hype lol.

No doubt on the pompous *** part. Why dig at LCE? Because he acts like a guy who watches film but won't engage in real debates. Condescending is being sarcastic and dodgy instead of sharing reasoned arguments. If I do that I hope I get called out on it.

Imagine LCE watched every Central game (for example) live and on film and I disagreed with his take about a player on their team but instead of posting real arguments I just spat out some lame platitudes, generalizations and sarcastic jabs. That's what he did with me so **** that guy he's a clown.

Fred Taylor is almost 6'2 though.

Chaney even has Thomas Jones running style and im expecting them to be the same size coming out of college.

Advertisement
I've watched whole game films of Chaney. He played in a wishbone offense where he wasn't featured and wasn't even on the field for large stretches. You don't realize how much of a projection and adjustment it is for him going from that offense on a bad HS team to ACC football.

He has good size and he hits the hole hard with acceleration. Other than that his traits don't stand out on film. He doesn't have a lot of wiggle or shake to make guys miss. His contact balance is decent but not close to as good as Crowley. His pad level is high and he only shrugs off weaker arm tackles. Then you throw in the intangible factors like how that wishbone offense defined holes for him and he struggles with mental processing and sifting through traffic. Or how he has limited experience as a receiver and pass protector And he's injured now. So right now he's a bigger back who can run fast through the hole when it's defined but doesn't have wiggle or overwhelming power, doesn't have 3rd down ability, wasn't used in the return game. That makes him an even more limited poor man's Fournette.

But yeah his recruit rank, offer list, testing numbers and performances in shorts are all elite. That's great and all but I evaluate football players not just athletes. The athleticism is nice and indicates that he belongs in Power 5 football but it doesn't guarantee anything beyond that. His development as a football player will determine that.

Crowley is bigger, more powerful, better in the pass game and has the nuances for the position having executed a variety of run schemes in HS where he showed he can read his blocks and make sound decisions running in traffic and on the perimeter. Chaney might have more theoretical long-term upside but that's not a high probability outcome, certainly not in the near future.

Since you mentioned Knighton, the difference between Knighton and Chaney is that the former is more explosive and has more juice with the ball. He's shown an aptitude as a receiver and returner. So even if he has the same adjustment curve as a runner he can at least get the ball in space where he's the most dynamic guy on the team.

The only thing that's egregious is that you and others insist on arguing with me time and time again when I analyze the film in greater detail and have a track record of successful evaluations. Like we can keep going down this road over and over again but eventually you're gonna learn that I'm not making **** up and my thought process is better than the uninformed consensus.
Similar to lingards curve, hopefully Chaney can grasp it quicker.

Advertisement
I tried to tell y'all c
See the thing is I like Crowley, just not as much as Knighton and Chaney. I remember when people were Hyping Thad Franklin up a few weeks back and some even said he was a better runner than both of knighton and Chaney but If I had To choose I’d much rather have a back like Crowley over Thad franklin. Obviously Crowley is a big back like Franklin however he seems like a more explosive rb and faster for sure when comparing those 2. We will see if Crowley gets antsy with playing time, osu recruits with the best of them at rb and he will be in a 3rd team role once again this season
I said it long ago.... Crowely made a huge mistake...

Advertisement
Chaney is a stud but let's stop spreading the narrative that he made miracles happen because of the scrubs he played with.

He played in a Wing-T. You don't need D1 O-linemen for that offense + 90% of high school defenses don't even know how to line-up to it. This already puts Chaney at an advantage regardless of who's playing beside him.

The best Wing-T offenses I've ever seen had 190lb-220lb Offensive Linemen. The Cooper City team that beat STA years ago had a bunch of Linebackers playing O-line and a RB by the name of Camden Krohn. (bet yall don't even know who that is) Kid ran for like 2000+. They went undefeated and almost beat STA TWICE that season.

I specifically remember coming on here after watching a Miami practice and saying that Lingard would need to learn how to run within a zone scheme very quickly or he would be passed up by Cam. I got called crazy. (matter of fact, somebody owes me chicken wings) And don't give me **** about his injury, because he was already being passed up by Cam before that.

Now, just because this happened with Lingard doesn't mean it'll happen with Chaney, but scheme is one of the reason I have Knighton playing before him early on. Rooster has been running in a one-cut zone scheme for years and you'd be hard-pressed to find a better one-cut RB in the state. When he puts his foot in the ground it's straight smoke.
The TD run he had versus Columbus was explosive.

We're fortunate to have both, although I still think Crowley was a huge miss. You wanna stack elite talent.

Chaney is a stud but let's stop spreading the narrative that he made miracles happen because of the scrubs he played with.

He played in a Wing-T. You don't need D1 O-linemen for that offense + 90% of high school defenses don't even know how to line-up to it. This already puts Chaney at an advantage regardless of who's playing beside him.

The best Wing-T offenses I've ever seen had 190lb-220lb Offensive Linemen. The Cooper City team that beat STA years ago had a bunch of Linebackers playing O-line and a RB by the name of Camden Krohn. (bet yall don't even know who that is) Kid ran for like 2000+. They went undefeated and almost beat STA TWICE that season.

I specifically remember coming on here after watching a Miami practice and saying that Lingard would need to learn how to run within a zone scheme very quickly or he would be passed up by Cam. I got called crazy. (matter of fact, somebody owes me chicken wings) And don't give me **** about his injury, because he was already being passed up by Cam before that.

Now, just because this happened with Lingard doesn't mean it'll happen with Chaney, but scheme is one of the reason I have Knighton playing before him early on. Rooster has been running in a one-cut zone scheme for years and you'd be hard-pressed to find a better one-cut RB in the state. When he puts his foot in the ground it's straight smoke.

We're fortunate to have both, although I still think Crowley was a huge miss. You wanna stack elite talent.
Just imagine what Chaney would have done behind a Columbus or whoever oline. Despite all that he still averaged over 12 yards per carry his senior year which is elite.

Lingard didn’t get passed up that year, I dont Know why people keep saying that. Cam was clearly behind Lingard in the rotation before his injury that knocked him out the season. Cam got less time and carries up until that injury occurred.

Chaney is an intelligent kid who happens to be football smart as well. This isn’t some transition he’s incapable of making especially with his athletic ability he’s blessed with and how well he works to get better.

With all due respect , Lingard isn’t Chaney as he was much more raw coming in as a rb with a pretty weird running style so I’m not expecting a slow start from Don like we saw with Lingard but we will see ultimately . Chaney looks just as explosive if not more but also seems to be a more natural rb compared to Lingard with his cutting ability and some of the moves and nuances he has when running the ball.

With that being said , This is college football at the end of the day so it’s always going to be an adjustment period regardless. I am Glad to see knighton is already making a big impression with the little spring time they did get to practice. Fully expected that, both rbs we got were elite talents in that class imo

Last edited:
Look, I don't have a dog in the fight. Maybe Crowley will be great at Ohio Taint. Maybe Crowley will be the biggest recruiting loss ever at Miami.

But.

Let's look at his actual output thus far. He played in five absolute blowout games for Ohio Taint. 25 rushes for 237 yards.

He had 2 rushes for 6 yards in a 51-10 win over Indiana.

He had 4 rushes for 22 yards in a 76-5 romp over Miami of Ohio.

In a 48-7 victory over Nebraska, he had a 36 yard run. His other 3 rushes went for 9 yards.

In a 52-3 romp over Northwestern, he had a 53 yard run. His other rush went for 0 yards.

Finally, during a 73-14 blowout over Maryland, he had a 25 yard run, a 16 yard run, and a 15 yard run, and then 5 other rushes for 26 yards.

Again, he might be a great player someday, but in 5 very easy victories for Ohio Taint, when he is (largely) playing during garbage time, he had 5 good "chunk" plays (none went for a TD). All 5 "chunk" plays happened in the fourth quarter (his 2 biggest runs happened with under 2 minutes left in each game). His other 20 runs went for 92 yards.

Very good player. MAYBE a recruiting miss. NO GUARANTEE he would be a starter at Miami. Great, late, against bad competition.

Advertisement
I don't doubt that Chaney can return kicks but we have guys who are better at evading tackles and making plays in space.

I don't remember what Gurley looked like as a prospect but I remember being down on him. I liked Keith Marshall a lot more. That was a

No wonder your analysis sucks LOL

Last edited:
Fred Taylor is almost 6'2 though.

Chaney even has Thomas Jones running style and im expecting them to be the same size coming out of college.

Yeah I can see the athletic comparison. Differences I see are that Chaney is more built and will be bigger and more powerful. Whereas Jones was good at getting skinny and sifting through traffic. If Chaney develops the patience and vision Jones had he will be a monster but that's a huge if. It's easier to see him being big and fast with some all-around skill. So shorter Fred Taylor then lol.

Similar to lingards curve, hopefully Chaney can grasp it quicker.

Probably but Chaney is a much better prospect. He's not super shifty but he's not stiff either. He has better contact balance. Seems like he has better intangibles too.

Look, I don't have a dog in the fight. Maybe Crowley will be great at Ohio Taint. Maybe Crowley will be the biggest recruiting loss ever at Miami.

D$ and I are high on him because of his skillset. It's not about the production to me it's about the role he can provide to an offense. Top SEC programs like Bama, UGA, LSU tend to value backs who can grind out yards inside. OSU obviously got him for a reason and they always have power backs who can run inside. Clemson hasn't had a good one but they still gave Feaster a ton of touches even when they had Etienne and stud WRs. OU runs a very modern pro spread and they recruit bigger backs who can run inside and get involved in the passing game. Backs like Crowley have a lot of value and Miami hasn't been recruiting/landing them for some time. I'll continue to advocate for the Ozigbos and Crowleys until that happens. And the top schools will continue to sign them and feature them.

Last edited:
The best Wing-T offenses I've ever seen had 190lb-220lb Offensive Linemen. The Cooper City team that beat STA years ago had a bunch of Linebackers playing O-line and a RB by the name of Camden Krohn. (bet yall don't even know who that is) Kid ran for like 2000+. They went undefeated and almost beat STA TWICE that season

Him and TJ Marshall were running through south Florida in the early 10s.

Advertisement

most defnses that dont play against it cant lineup to it.

Belen has been running that same offense since ray finkle was playing qb for the dolphins.

hes a whle lot better than columbus rb who ran rampant the last 2 yearsa...he owuldve did god forsaken things if he played behind columbus's line

most defnses that dont play against it cant lineup to it.

Belen has been running that same offense since ray finkle was playing qb for the dolphins.

hes a whle lot better than columbus rb who ran rampant the last 2 yearsa...he owuldve did god forsaken things if he played behind columbus's line

I thought Finkle was a kicker?

Remember that. When Lingard hype was at an all-time high.

Advertisement
Back