Class Impact: Marcus Crowley exits

View as article
Does Crowley really have the speed to be an upper echelon back either? He gets chased down a ton in his film.

I can see where one gets the Marcus Allen comp though. Beautifully smooth upright stride with one cut change of direction and gets low at contact.

Advertisement
This thread had me watching some of Chaney’s tape earlier, and found myself watching James Williams highlights. In the vid he blows Chaney up 1 play. I’m curious to see how Chaney will look in ACC play.

Cool. I don't have to post here. Then you can have nothing but LCE's generic cut/paste evals unless gogeta decides to chime in with his take.

It's amazing how when people try to provide insight on this board they get chased away by assclowns who provide nothing of value. I'll just add you to my ignore list though. That's like 5 new additions in the last 10 days. I'm on a roll.

I don't doubt that Chaney can return kicks but we have guys who are better at evading tackles and making plays in space.

I don't remember what Gurley looked like as a prospect but I remember being down on him. I liked Keith Marshall a lot more. That was a long time ago and I was a lot lazier at evaluating. As for the receiving part it's a projection is all. Chaney might be good or he might be bad or it may just take time but we don't know.

Crowley is taller with a bigger frame. He's listed at 210 now. I didn't say Chaney has no juice. He clearly has good acceleration and I've always said he can be a home run hitter when the holes are there. He may be Miami's best back to come in around midfield as the offense wears down the defense with pace. He has the size and speed to exploit that.

This isn't a black or white thing where one player is good and another is bad or whatever. It's about context. I like Crowley and Parrish better in the context of interior running in a variety of schemes, and in the pass game. I like Knighton better as an offensive weapon. Still Chaney could be very productive running gap plays or outside zone when the blocking is there for him. There have been more limited backs who dominated college football in the right situation. His athleticism shouldn't go to waste and I'm aware of his work ethic. We agree more than you think. I do like Chaney more than Thad too.

Lmao you're right it's been a while since I studied that stuff. I played on a team that ran the same offense when I was 16 and we went undefeated in the regular season. My dad called it wishbone so it stuck in my head.

Oh no, @HighSeas won’t post here any longer, what ever will we do????

Exactly how I feel. We were on him when he was a nobody. He gets a little shine, a couple of offers here & there, and he split?? Fck him & his career and I stand by that. Call me petty, immature, whatever. He, Jobe, & Stevenson r in the same boat and I wish neither of them success.
Jobe is an old man who sleeps with a teddy bear.

I might be an old man but I don't need no teddy bear.

Advertisement
Does Crowley really have the speed to be an upper echelon back either? He gets chased down a ton in his film.

I can see where one gets the Marcus Allen comp though. Beautifully smooth upright stride with one cut change of direction and gets low at contact.
He has good enough speed in his game imo

Last edited:
He has good enough speed in his game. Imo it’s a noticeable difference when watching his film vs a back like Thad Franklin
Good enough speed for what though? Sky high expectations? No doubt he's a **** good to great back.

Good enough speed for what though? Sky high expectations? No doubt he's a **** good to great back.
Don’t know if it’s enough for sky high expectations that some apparently have for him but it’s enough to break runs especially in the big 10. He’s a good back idk about elite which is what some think he can be . We will see

Last edited:
Just imagine what Chaney would have done behind a Columbus or whoever oline. Despite all that he still averaged over 12 yards per carry his senior year which is elite.

Lingard didn’t get passed up that year, I dont Know why people keep saying that. Cam was clearly behind Lingard in the rotation before his injury that knocked him out the season. Cam got less time and carries up until that injury occurred.

Chaney is an intelligent kid who happens to be football smart as well. This isn’t some transition he’s incapable of making especially with his athletic ability he’s blessed with and how well he works to get better.

With all due respect , Lingard isn’t Chaney as he was much more raw coming in as a rb with a pretty weird running style so I’m not expecting a slow start from Don like we saw with Lingard but we will see ultimately . Chaney looks just as explosive if not more but also seems to be a more natural rb compared to Lingard with his cutting ability and some of the moves and nuances he has when running the ball.

With that being said , This is college football at the end of the day so it’s always going to be an adjustment period regardless. I am Glad to see knighton is already making a big impression with the little spring time they did get to practice. Fully expected that, both rbs we got were elite talents in that class imo

I don't think you got what I was trying to say in that post. HE PLAYED IN THE WING-T. An upgrade in OL talent wouldn't have made a difference.

You don't know what he would've done behind the Columbus O-Line because that's a completely different running scheme. They run Counter and Power. Belen runs Buck Sweep and Trap. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SCHEMES WITH COMPLETELY DIFFERENT READS FOR A RUNNING BACK.

Cam was passing up Lingard regardless of the injury. Please don't tell me any differently, as I was at several practices. Lingard was running into the back of Offensive Linemen on simple zone running plays. His vision was TERRIBLE. He also lacked wiggle and was getting tackled in the open field far too often.

And you saying Chaney is more explosive than Lingard is nothing more than you being a homer. (because Chaney is here and Lingard is no longer a Cane) Lingard is a freak athlete and track kid. Chaney may end up being a better running back, but he is not a more explosive athlete than Lingard.

Advertisement
most defnses that dont play against it cant lineup to it.

Belen has been running that same offense since ray finkle was playing qb for the dolphins.

hes a whle lot better than columbus rb who ran rampant the last 2 yearsa...he owuldve did god forsaken things if he played behind columbus's line

Nobody knows how to line-up against it, whether they play it or not. They think the cure-all is simply putting more guys on the LOS.

And if you plugged Chaney into Columbus's offense right now you don't know what he would do. You don't know how he'd read/run Counter and Power.

You guys are dismissing scheme and the effect it has on a Running Back's production.

Last edited:
Nobody knows how to line-up against it, whether they play it or not. They think the cure-all is simply putting more guys on the LOS.

And if you plugged Chaney into Columbus's offense right now you don't know what he would do. You don't know how he'd read/run Counter and Power.

You guys are dismissing scheme and the effect it has on a Running Back's production.

To that point, the first 2 series as an offensive guy are always tough because almost nobody played their base front when I coached the wing-t. The go to down here was a bear front. Great for stopping sweep and trap but puts you in a bind against down/g schemes.

I don't think you got what I was trying to say in that post. HE PLAYED IN THE WING-T. An upgrade in OL talent wouldn't have made a difference.

You don't know what he would've done behind the Columbus O-Line because that's a completely different running scheme. They run Counter and Power. Belen runs Buck Sweep and Trap. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SCHEMES WITH COMPLETELY DIFFERENT READS FOR A RUNNING BACK.

Cam was passing up Lingard regardless of the injury. Please don't tell me any differently, as I was at several practices. Lingard was running into the back of Offensive Linemen on simple zone running plays. His vision was TERRIBLE. He also lacked wiggle and was getting tackled in the open field far too often.

And you saying Chaney is more explosive than Lingard is nothing more than you being a homer. (because Chaney is here and Lingard is no longer a Cane) Lingard is a freak athlete and track kid. Chaney may end up being a better running back, but he is not a more explosive athlete than Lingard.
So how do you think lingard will look at ufag?

This isn’t factual about Lingard being a more explosive athlete than Chaney. The film doesn’t show it and majority of the testing numbers certainly dont as well. It’s a fact that Chaney tested better in nearly every athletic category actually. Only thing Lingard notably did slightly better than Chaney was the 100 m where Lingard ran a 10.71 and Chaney Ran a 10.77 100m but Chaney was at least 10 pounds heavier. And it has nothing to do with being a homer,it’s just facts. tf are you talking about? There’s a difference between a track athlete(Lingard) and a freak athlete(Chaney). Being fast as a track athlete don’t make you a freak athlete especially when there’s not much of a difference at all in the 100m for both of those rbs . Look at the other testing numbers, in the Nike sparq rating Lingard testing numbers were in a much lower percentile than Chaney’s was and that’s a fact. Lingard sparq numbers were 104 or something like that and he ran a 4.64 40. This is what a “freak“ athlete tests like. Chaney is without a doubt a more explosive athlete overall and tests like it as well. It’s funny who you consider a freak athlete and who you don’t but I digress... In terms of the elite rated rbs in the 2020 class Chaney was the second most athletic rb in this class outside of Zach Evans who ended up being the #1 back

A76AFC87-7AC7-4412-924A-D29D19BAC45C.jpeg

Lingard # 104.48

Last edited:
Advertisement
I was never on the Crowley hype train. I just don't see an elite talent, but he's good.

Having said that, all he has to do is get carries and he'll put up yards. OSU, they always have monsters on the OL that'll open holes and all you've gotta do is run through them.

You can't play them to shut down the run as they'll eat you alive in the passing game. Add in that you've gotta account for their QB running, you would be hard pressed to say there's a better place to run the ball.

:fistbump:

I was never on the Crowley hype train. I just don't see an elite talent, but he's good.

Having said that, all he has to do is get carries and he'll put up yards. OSU, they always have monsters on the OL that'll open holes and all you've gotta do is run through them.

You can't play them to shut down the run as they'll eat you alive in the passing game. Add in that you've gotta account for their QB running, you would be hard pressed to say there's a better place to run the ball.

Crowley is not an elite talent. Like you say it's about how effective he can be in the right context. 2020 Miami should offer the same context you noted just with inferior OL play. But with a back like Crowley who has good conceptual skills and is strong on contact you don't need gaping holes. A tired and confused defense is more important than drive blocking.

A back like Lingard who's straightlinish, soft on contact and lacks vision - yes he needs big gaping holes created by scheme and drive blocking. Maybe UF gives that to him but I doubt it. They've had more of a sustaining run game in recent years with plodding interior backs.

Just imagine what Chaney would have done behind a Columbus or whoever oline. Despite all that he still averaged over 12 yards per carry his senior year which is elite.

Lingard didn’t get passed up that year, I dont Know why people keep saying that. Cam was clearly behind Lingard in the rotation before his injury that knocked him out the season. Cam got less time and carries up until that injury occurred.

Chaney is an intelligent kid who happens to be football smart as well. This isn’t some transition he’s incapable of making especially with his athletic ability he’s blessed with and how well he works to get better.

With all due respect , Lingard isn’t Chaney as he was much more raw coming in as a rb with a pretty weird running style so I’m not expecting a slow start from Don like we saw with Lingard but we will see ultimately . Chaney looks just as explosive if not more but also seems to be a more natural rb compared to Lingard with his cutting ability and some of the moves and nuances he has when running the ball.

With that being said , This is college football at the end of the day so it’s always going to be an adjustment period regardless. I am Glad to see knighton is already making a big impression with the little spring time they did get to practice. Fully expected that, both rbs we got were elite talents in that class imo
I agree that Lingard was more raw than Chaney is right now. Lingard was literally an elite track star who put pads on and lined up behind the QB.

But I can assure you Cam had definitely passed up Lingard before the injury. Except for straight line speed, Cam was already better in every other phase of the position.

Advertisement
To that point, the first 2 series as an offensive guy are always tough because almost nobody played their base front when I coached the wing-t. The go to down here was a bear front. Great for stopping sweep and trap but puts you in a bind against down/g schemes.
Under Front all day.

This isn’t factual about Lingard being a more explosive athlete than Chaney. The film doesn’t show it and majority of the testing numbers certainly dont as well. It’s a fact that Chaney tested better in nearly every athletic category actually. Only thing Lingard notably did slightly better than Chaney was the 100 m where Lingard ran a 10.71 and Chaney Ran a 10.77 100m but Chaney was at least 10 pounds heavier. And it has nothing to do with being a homer,it’s just facts. tf are you talking about? There’s a difference between a track athlete(Lingard) and a freak athlete(Chaney). Being fast as a track athlete don’t make you a freak athlete especially when there’s not much of a difference at all in the 100m for both of those rbs . Look at the other testing numbers, in the Nike sparq rating Lingard testing numbers were in a much lower percentile than Chaney’s was and that’s a fact. Lingard sparq numbers were 104 or something like that and he ran a 4.64 40. This is what a “freak“ athlete tests like. Chaney is without a doubt a more explosive athlete overall and tests like it as well. It’s funny who you consider a freak athlete and who you don’t but I digress... In terms of the elite rated rbs in the 2020 class Chaney was the second most athletic rb in this class outside of Zach Evans who ended up being the #1 back

View attachment 114119

Lingard # 104.48

You read that wholllllle post I made and decided to go all-in on ONE statement that I made. LOL
You can have it bro. Chaney is a more explosive overall athlete, but I don't think he runs like a Lingard.

Under Front all day.
Saw a ton of under front too. Makes sweep obsolete unless you go tackle over and he's a monster. Even harder if your playing a shade rather than a 2i. You don't see many good Wing-t teams down here anymore. The mid 2000's is where is started to really fade away.

Chaney is a stud but let's stop spreading the narrative that he made miracles happen because of the scrubs he played with.

He played in a Wing-T. You don't need D1 O-linemen for that offense + 90% of high school defenses don't even know how to line-up to it. This already puts Chaney at an advantage regardless of who's playing beside him.

The best Wing-T offenses I've ever seen had 190lb-220lb Offensive Linemen. The Cooper City team that beat STA years ago had a bunch of Linebackers playing O-line and a RB by the name of Camden Krohn. (bet yall don't even know who that is) Kid ran for like 2000+. They went undefeated and almost beat STA TWICE that season.

I specifically remember coming on here after watching a Miami practice and saying that Lingard would need to learn how to run within a zone scheme very quickly or he would be passed up by Cam. I got called crazy. (matter of fact, somebody owes me chicken wings) And don't give me **** about his injury, because he was already being passed up by Cam before that.

Now, just because this happened with Lingard doesn't mean it'll happen with Chaney, but scheme is one of the reason I have Knighton playing before him early on. Rooster has been running in a one-cut zone scheme for years and you'd be hard-pressed to find a better one-cut RB in the state. When he puts his foot in the ground it's straight smoke.
The TD run he had versus Columbus was explosive.

We're fortunate to have both, although I still think Crowley was a huge miss. You wanna stack elite talent.

Generally agree, but the only thing I would say is Chaney and Ligard are different players. Chaney strikes me as someone with elite body control, whereas Lingard was more stiff. I think, once healthy, Chaney will pick things up very quickly.

Advertisement
Back