Class Impact: Marcus Crowley exits

View as article
Yes Cam has got some tools. There's no way an average back rips off long runs (even though they were called back by penalties) like he did.

Advertisement
Chaney is injured. It would've Crowley vs. Knighton. 50/50. Yes easily RB2
Crowley is injured himself and wasn’t slated to participate this spring for osu. Healthy or not he easily wouldn’t have been rb2

Advertisement
Crowley is injured as well and going to miss spring as osu was down to 1 healthy rb for spring ball after Teague got injured. And that’s a pretty egregious take that Crowley according to you is a a better prospect than Chaney. Better prospect in what way? I dont Know why you are so down on Chaney but you have never liked the kid it seems. First it was Parrish was better than him and now Crowley and whoever else. Chaney is an elite athlete at the rb position, they aren’t made like him often plus he’s a bigger back at 5’10.5 211. I really Dont know what you don’t like about him 🤷🏾‍♂️.

I’ll take the Chaney/knighton combo easily. Imo those 2 are in the mold of a similar style of rb as mcgahee and Portis in the backfield with that duo. Knighton got a little duke Johnson in him too but obviously more physical. You don’t have to be a big /bruising rb to be good in college, what rb since 2000 has fit that mold for Miami? Most of our rbs in that time frame weren’t those types of backs. What say you @Liberty City El ?

I've watched whole game films of Chaney. He played in a wishbone offense where he wasn't featured and wasn't even on the field for large stretches. You don't realize how much of a projection and adjustment it is for him going from that offense on a bad HS team to ACC football.

He has good size and he hits the hole hard with acceleration. Other than that his traits don't stand out on film. He doesn't have a lot of wiggle or shake to make guys miss. His contact balance is decent but not close to as good as Crowley. His pad level is high and he only shrugs off weaker arm tackles. Then you throw in the intangible factors like how that wishbone offense defined holes for him and he struggles with mental processing and sifting through traffic. Or how he has limited experience as a receiver and pass protector And he's injured now. So right now he's a bigger back who can run fast through the hole when it's defined but doesn't have wiggle or overwhelming power, doesn't have 3rd down ability, wasn't used in the return game. That makes him an even more limited poor man's Fournette.

But yeah his recruit rank, offer list, testing numbers and performances in shorts are all elite. That's great and all but I evaluate football players not just athletes. The athleticism is nice and indicates that he belongs in Power 5 football but it doesn't guarantee anything beyond that. His development as a football player will determine that.

Crowley is bigger, more powerful, better in the pass game and has the nuances for the position having executed a variety of run schemes in HS where he showed he can read his blocks and make sound decisions running in traffic and on the perimeter. Chaney might have more theoretical long-term upside but that's not a high probability outcome, certainly not in the near future.

Since you mentioned Knighton, the difference between Knighton and Chaney is that the former is more explosive and has more juice with the ball. He's shown an aptitude as a receiver and returner. So even if he has the same adjustment curve as a runner he can at least get the ball in space where he's the most dynamic guy on the team.

The only thing that's egregious is that you and others insist on arguing with me time and time again when I analyze the film in greater detail and have a track record of successful evaluations. Like we can keep going down this road over and over again but eventually you're gonna learn that I'm not making **** up and my thought process is better than the uninformed consensus.

Would get probably get passed up quickly by knighton and Chaney 🤷🏾‍♂️. Crowley good but he ain’t on their level or has as much upside. Plus Miami has a more talented backfield than osu especially with dobbins gone so I dont agree with that.
Agree, not sure why people are infatuated with Crowley. He would be 4th or 5th in our RB group. Watch his tape and he's a 3* for a reason.

I've watched whole game films of Chaney. He played in a wishbone offense where he wasn't featured and wasn't even on the field for large stretches. You don't realize how much of a projection and adjustment it is for him going from that offense on a bad HS team to ACC football.

He has good size and he hits the hole hard with acceleration. Other than that his traits don't stand out on film. He doesn't have a lot of wiggle or shake to make guys miss. His contact balance is decent but not close to as good as Crowley. His pad level is high and he only shrugs off weaker arm tackles. Then you throw in the intangible factors like how that wishbone offense defined holes for him and he struggles with mental processing and sifting through traffic. Or how he has limited experience as a receiver and pass protector And he's injured now. So right now he's a bigger back who can run fast through the hole when it's defined but doesn't have wiggle or overwhelming power, doesn't have 3rd down ability, wasn't used in the return game. That makes him an even more limited poor man's Fournette.

But yeah his recruit rank, offer list, testing numbers and performances in shorts are all elite. That's great and all but I evaluate football players not just athletes. The athleticism is nice and indicates that he belongs in Power 5 football but it doesn't guarantee anything beyond that. His development as a football player will determine that.

Crowley is bigger, more powerful, better in the pass game and has the nuances for the position having executed a variety of run schemes in HS where he showed he can read his blocks and make sound decisions running in traffic and on the perimeter. Chaney might have more theoretical long-term upside but that's not a high probability outcome, certainly not in the near future.

Since you mentioned Knighton, the difference between Knighton and Chaney is that the former is more explosive and has more juice with the ball. He's shown an aptitude as a receiver and returner. So even if he has the same adjustment curve as a runner he can at least get the ball in space where he's the most dynamic guy on the team.

The only thing that's egregious is that you and others insist on arguing with me time and time again when I analyze the film in greater detail and have a track record of successful evaluations. Like we can keep going down this road over and over again but eventually you're gonna learn that I'm not making **** up and my thought process is better than the uninformed consensus.

Oh sh*t fellas, we have an expert in watching film on this board.

You sound like a pompous *******

Advertisement

This isn’t entirely factual, Chaney absolutely factored in both the receiving game AND kick return game when see 2:15 below. In a matter of fact, Chaney been on special teams returning kicks and punts at times etc since he was a freshman so he clearly has experience there

No need to just place limitations on what a kid can and can’t do just because of the offense he played in. Todd gurley easily made the transition playing in that exact same offense. Did gurley show any receiving capability playing in that offense? No but he evolved into one of the best receiving backs in the nfl. Not every kid struggles with that transition from that offense or on the other hand picks it up seemingly. Different cases for different kids.

Not sure how Crowley is “bigger” than Chaney when he’s listed as 205 on Ohio state roster and Chaney is 210 at least right now. Crowley is a good back for sure but it’s important to note in all of this whether it’s him or Parrish who you say are better than Chaney is the massive differences in talent on the team compared to what Chaney had to work with especially on the oline in which Belen Jesuit wouldnt be expected to open up much holes with 225 pound lineman blocking for him🤷🏾‍♂️. Furthermore in regards to the knighton comment I’m very high on him too but I dont See how anyone can watch Don Chaney’s film and try to say repeatedly that he doesn’t have any juice or isn’t that explosive. That’s just a ridiculous comment, what are we watching here?

I’m not saying Chaney wont have a learning curve for football in college, every rb and player does but I think Some are overestimating this a bit. He ain’t the first rb to go from a wing t to whatever college offense and certainly wont be the last. This isn’t too big for Chaney, he’s a smart and intelligent kid his **** self and very driven. “Struggles with mental processing”, based on exactly what? Whatever deficiencies you perceive him to have I’m sure he will work his *** off either way. Both knighton and Chaney will have to show they are physically capable of blocking at this level however what you haven’t mentioned , we ain’t running a prostyle O, this isn’t going to be as important as it was in previous offenses. Lashlee’s going to get these playmakers the ball in space as much as possible.

Last edited:
Crowley's good, will be in the league some day. But at this point who cares? He's gone.

Meanwhile, we have some horses in the Hurricanes RB stable. I've never been a big Harris fan. He can house it and has shown good hands the few times we've used him as a receiver, but he also goes down too easily and is a weak blocker. So I'm looking forward to a great competition between the backs this season. IMHO, Knighton and Chaney are going to rep the U to greatness again. And I also think Robert Burns has one more turn of the crank in him.

Advertisement
Crowley's good, will be in the league some day. But at this point who cares? He's gone.

Meanwhile, we have some horses in the Hurricanes RB stable. I've never been a big Harris fan. He can house it and has shown good hands the few times we've used him as a receiver, but he also goes down too easily and is a weak blocker. So I'm looking forward to a great competition between the backs this season. IMHO, Knighton and Chaney are going to rep the U to greatness again. And I also think Robert Burns has one more turn of the crank in him.
Haven’t heRd anyone use “Crank” in a while. Lol Good Times man.

Stopped reading at wishbone offense because if you can’t see it’s a wing-t system then you sure as **** cant tell me anything I don’t already know.

Advertisement
Y'all don't have to put another kid down to talk up another kid.. If you blame any kid at that moment in time to not pick Ohio St over Miami then you're completely bias.

Exactly how I feel. We were on him when he was a nobody. He gets a little shine, a couple of offers here & there, and he split?? Fck him & his career and I stand by that. Call me petty, immature, whatever. He, Jobe, & Stevenson r in the same boat and I wish neither of them success.
Yeah, Crowley shines against lessor compet
Oh sh*t fellas, we have an expert in watching film on this board.

You sound like a pompous *******
Chaney is a beast and will play in the NFL.

Crowley won't see the field much at OSU. He excelled against inferior talent and he doesn't have the speed or moves such as Knighton and Chaney.

Go Canes! ***** Crowley!

Brah this man played Rb at Belen in front of an OL that my 12 year olds i coach weighed more or are better than them. I cant seriously take any true evals on him serious based off of that. Chaney when paired up with his contemporaries in south florida on the same fields in camps or other wise..stuck out like a sore thumb. In fact the 2 rbs we landed have stood out for 5+ years down here as the top dogs at RB in Dade n Broward.

Chaney is the goods. I Watch Thomas Brown coach this kid personally..1 on 1 for like and hour during a camp and dude went at it like it was the super bowl through drills and it was only Thomas Brown him and maybe 2 parents of other kids and me in the vicinity. He has a higher ceiling and more ability than Crowley who i liked awhole lot.

Brah this man played Rb at Belen in front of an OL that my 12 year olds i coach weighed more or are better than them. I cant seriously take any true evals on him serious based off of that. Chaney when paired up with his contemporaries in south florida on the same fields in camps or other wise..stuck out like a sore thumb. In fact the 2 rbs we landed have stood out for 5+ years down here as the top dogs at RB in Dade n Broward.

Chaney is the goods. I Watch Thomas Brown coach this kid personally..1 on 1 for like and hour during a camp and dude went at it like it was the super bowl through drills and it was only Thomas Brown him and maybe 2 parents of other kids and me in the vicinity. He has a higher ceiling and more ability than Crowley who i liked awhole lot.
Yeah, thats right. You have to look at what kind of competition kids are playing against and how their line stacks up.

Advertisement
Back