Class Impact: Jacurri Brown to Miami

View as article
Why are people trying to compare crap still? Does it matter? He reminds me of those VT QB's we see yearly and put up a lot of yards on the ground but struggle with the passing game. I think we'll see him in games early because of it, situational packages. He's got work to do throwing, everyone sees it, but give it time.

Advertisement
Yes, great comp. Identical recruiting profiles. Equally good prospects. The only thing that separates them is 10 years.

View attachment 144947

View attachment 144946
I remember risking jimmies when we offered this cat. That’s when I started losing confidence In richt and being a supposed guru. This kid sucked , nothing about him looked good. From in game , 7v 7 , etc. **** he wasn’t even a decent athlete.

Brown is raw and has some issues with accuracy but anyone comparing crow to him needs checked into rehab. Brown has a lot to work with and is a faaaaaar better prospect.

Good stuff. Someone convince me I don’t need to worry about his mediocre stats.

At his size and speed, he could do for us what Vince Young did for Texas.

Worst case, he has all the measurables to be a Jim Jensen/Kordell Stewart (and Larry Seiple etc.) Both were NFL quarterbacks AND played wide receiver/tight-end/special teams...

He also has the size and speed of a John Elway, but also could be a defensive end

Thrilled he has a chance to lead us at QB, and, if that fails, any number of other possibilities.

I'm not trying to "do" anything, and you've no idea "what I am trying to do" so save it for another poster who might give you what you want. A duck is a duck. Putting them in the same conversion is laughable, period. There are 10,000 better comps. One was massively productive, the other wasn't even middling statistically. One was a huge winner, the other was a loser. One was a TD machine, the other wasn't. One played against top flight comp, the other played against poor comp. One had two previous years of good completion %, the other didn't. One was injured the one year his % dropped, the other's low completion % was a career constant. One was a 2-time first team QB in a top football state, the other barely played his last year because he got benched for sucking.

The only thing they have in common is that they both played QB in High School. Unless you think Brown is going to lose his QB1 spot his senior year, like Sit did, then I'd love to hear more. Personally, I'd bet her tears it up. Otherwise, this has become tiresome and a waste of bandwidth. You can believe what you like, the earth will still spin for both of us. I'm moving on. Have a killer Sunday, amigo.
Okay, you're in denial or being intentionally obtuse. You're getting your panties wet because of a comparison. Comparisons identify similarities. They're not predictions that they'll end up similarly. They do shed light on what the key bets you're making are. What will cause them to be different. You're dug in trying to insist there's no comparison. But a simple review of the dynamic when we took Sit highlights how wrong that is. You can't get your mind off the differences in hindsight. But that wasn't what the situation looked like in when Sit committed.

Sit committed here in the summer headed into his senior year. He was every bit as highly rated as Brown as a prospect at that time, with prototype measurables and a strong arm. His accuracy in HS wasn't good. His mechanics were decent, but he was a bit stiff, IMO. Mark Richt, our allegedly great QB evaluator (who actually played the position and recruited NFL QBs) assessed him in person and took his commitment. Plenty of people on this board were super excited by what Richt could do with Sit. You can find the threads on this board. In retrospect, the skeptics were correct, but the optimists didn't know that back in June of that year. By fall, even Richt knew it and cut his losses and moved on.

Brown like Sit is 6-4, 210 or so, great arm. Brown has mechanics issues. His accuracy in HS is not great. If he's going to become a great college QB, he'll have to address these topics, just the situation that was true of Sit when we took his commitment. The difference other than evaluation is that Brown could likely succeed at other positions, making his commitment less risky from a roster management perspective. That doesn't go to his evaluation as a QB, but it does to his overall merit as a recruit.

You're stuck talking about Brown's won more, scored more TDs, didn't have a QB coach. Those are all things that if relevant just go to evaluation. No problem, I am all about discussing evaluations on these boards. But that's my point. There are similarities here. No big deal except to you apparently. It's the differences that go to projection that matter. Winning games in HS and scoring more TDs in HS are not themselves meaningful differences when it comes to projecting them as prospects. Plenty of guys come from better HS programs but aren't better prospects than some other kid. Lack of a QB coach isn't the answer because most kids don't have them, and you still have to project how they'll develop. You also talk about Sit getting benched his senior year of HS, which is hilarious since it happened after we took his commitment and Brown hasn't even played his senior year of HS. You're caught up in what Sit became and seem incapable of discussing what was believed when Richt took his commitment.

Bottom line is Brown's got a lot of tools to work with, will have to develop a lot to be an effective QB at a major program, but has high upside (my opinion) at a lot of other spots, so seems like a low risk take.

I remember risking jimmies when we offered this cat. That’s when I started losing confidence In richt and being a supposed guru. This kid sucked , nothing about him looked good. From in game , 7v 7 , etc. **** he wasn’t even a decent athlete.

Brown is raw and has some issues with accuracy but anyone comparing crow to him needs checked into rehab. Brown has a lot to work with and is a faaaaaar better prospect.
Richt didn't recruit Crow. He was a Golden special. Maybe you're referring to Sit? The links you responded to were of Crow.

As for Richt/Sit, yes, I lost any confidence I had in his QB evals with Sit. IMO he had checked out and was more interested in supporting his son's evals than in doing his own. It's the only way I can explain that dynamic.

Advertisement
Would you have doubted Lamar Jackson based on his Jr stats?

YearGPCmpAttYdsPct
Var Tot161232612263.471
14-15Sr.Var75398999.541
13-14Jr.Var9701631264.429

The Lamar comparison reminds me of the Barber shop talk in Coming To America. In this case though, it's the rare instance of a QB struggling with his passing game, but being a great athlete. They are different players and while many wanted Jackson on this team, most wanted him as an elite athlete who would at least get a shot at QB. Lamar made it work, most don't, but this is the red herring for some. There was major doubt about him as a passer.

I don't think anyone here is questioning the take. If we had King and virtually nobody behind him, there would be little doubt in my mind that we would need two QB's this class, the other being a more polished passer. I think it's widely accepted Brown is a down the road prospect. Garcia and TVD in that order in my mind give us the flexibility to take a chance on an elite athlete like Brown who needs to develop his passing game.

Okay, you're in denial or being intentionally obtuse. You're getting your panties wet because of a comparison. Comparisons identify similarities. They're not predictions that they'll end up similarly. They do shed light on what the key bets you're making are. What will cause them to be different. You're dug in trying to insist there's no comparison. But a simple review of the dynamic when we took Sit highlights how wrong that is. You can't get your mind off the differences in hindsight. But that wasn't what the situation looked like in when Sit committed.

Sit committed here in the summer headed into his senior year. He was every bit as highly rated as Brown as a prospect at that time, with prototype measurables and a strong arm. His accuracy in HS wasn't good. His mechanics were decent, but he was a bit stiff, IMO. Mark Richt, our allegedly great QB evaluator (who actually played the position and recruited NFL QBs) assessed him in person and took his commitment. Plenty of people on this board were super excited by what Richt could do with Sit. You can find the threads on this board. In retrospect, the skeptics were correct, but the optimists didn't know that back in June of that year. By fall, even Richt knew it and cut his losses and moved on.

Brown like Sit is 6-4, 210 or so, great arm. Brown has mechanics issues. His accuracy in HS is not great. If he's going to become a great college QB, he'll have to address these topics, just the situation that was true of Sit when we took his commitment. The difference other than evaluation is that Brown could likely succeed at other positions, making his commitment less risky from a roster management perspective. That doesn't go to his evaluation as a QB, but it does to his overall merit as a recruit.

You're stuck talking about Brown's won more, scored more TDs, didn't have a QB coach. Those are all things that if relevant just go to evaluation. No problem, I am all about discussing evaluations on these boards. But that's my point. There are similarities here. No big deal except to you apparently. It's the differences that go to projection that matter. Winning games in HS and scoring more TDs in HS are not themselves meaningful differences when it comes to projecting them as prospects. Plenty of guys come from better HS programs but aren't better prospects than some other kid. Lack of a QB coach isn't the answer because most kids don't have them, and you still have to project how they'll develop. You also talk about Sit getting benched his senior year of HS, which is hilarious since it happened after we took his commitment and Brown hasn't even played his senior year of HS. You're caught up in what Sit became and seem incapable of discussing what was believed when Richt took his commitment.

Bottom line is Brown's got a lot of tools to work with, will have to develop a lot to be an effective QB at a major program, but has high upside (my opinion) at a lot of other spots, so seems like a low risk take.

Told you I moved on so it won't surprise you I didn't read a word of the above. Was trying to spare you the 1000 words on a nice Sunday afternoon. Oh well.

Gray Crow didn’t run for 1,000+ yards and go 24-3 as a starter in big boy football. Same reason the Allison and Sitkowski comps fall flat.

Obviously, Jacurri’s future as a QB will depend on his progression as a passer. He is not a college-level passer at the moment so it’s an upside play.

But he’s huge, runs like Marcus Mariota, has a cannon, is a beloved teammate and a playmaker. He has made huge plays in big games against good teams.

This is the type of kid you take a chance on with two polished passers already in the fold.
Exactly. This isn't the guy you take if you need a QB right away, but he darn sure is if you have a couple years to work on him to get him ready. We should have the time to get him ready. Lord knows what he'll look like in 3-4 years, but you have to take a chance with talent and raw ability.

Advertisement
The discussion here is lacking as far as evals of this kid go. High school record doesn’t project a kid to be a starting QB for a major program. The ability of people to just talk by each other on this topic is weird.

He’s a great athlete, prototype size, good arm, good leader. Those are positives. But if we don’t all know yet that 99% of QBing is inside the head, then this program hasn’t learned anything. I’m not knocking Brown or even speaking of him in saying that. It’s just a fact.

If he doesn’t process the D, feel the pocket, and make good decisions under pressure, he won’t be a good college QB, no matter how big or fast he is. Kyle Wright was a much more acclaimed QB prospect. Didn’t matter. And Brown apparently has real work to do on mechanics and accuracy.

So the discussion with Brown should be two things - the probability he’ll develop as a QB inside his head (not physically), and the ability of him to contribute elsewhere if he doesn’t.

I like the take. But I’m not going to try to tell people it’s a good take because of his HS record. It’s mostly irrelevant. Evaluating QBs is hard. You have to assess their minds and potential, and it’s not IQ. It’s football Q. And calmness under pressure. Maybe people who have watched his film see the evidence of those traits. Or they didn’t see any evidence of them but just figure it’s a crapshoot and he’s a good starting point. Either comment would be clear and to the point, not distracted by external things like record.

Last edited:
Would you have doubted Lamar Jackson based on his Jr stats?

YearGPCmpAttYdsPct
Var Tot161232612263.471
14-15Sr.Var75398999.541
13-14Jr.Var9701631264.429

Apparently, you are not reading the threads very carefully.

I am a person who is saying that you CANNOT simply draw a determination on a QB who is a Junior in HS simply from looking at the stats. I am a person who is saying that the coaches have to look at all of the attributes, including personal attributes such as intelligence, leadership, and decision-making when evaluating a QB.

Let me be very clear. In the case of Tutu Atwell, who played QB but may have been considered for a position change, I can UNDERSTAND the extra challenges involved with projecting a player to take on a new position. The eval might be harder to do in the absence of ANY stats.

But with players who are going to CONTINUE to play the same position, I think stats are only a part of the consideration. Particularly at QB. Particularly at many schools in the south, which may not be hotbeds of passing offense and/or QB coaching. With a top QB in Texas or California, you tend to have more stats, film and feedback to analyze. Many of those kids have private QB coaches and/or off-season tutoring.

So don't try to play the "Lamar Jackson" game on me, I think I've been consistent in what I've said in the past, at least as far as MY opinion. As for the opinion of certain coaches, it can be different. Some look for "prototype" guys. Some look for guys with lots of production. Over-reliance on any particular trait in a QB is, I believe, part of the problem with missed evals.

The discussion here is lacking as far as evals of this kid go. High school record doesn’t project a kid to be a starting QB for a major program. The ability of people to just talk by each other on this topic is weird.

He’s a great athlete, prototype size, good arm, good leader. Those are positives. But if we don’t all know yet that 99% of QBing is inside the head, then this program hasn’t learned anything. I’m not knocking Brown or even speaking of him in saying that. It’s just a fact.

If he doesn’t process the D, feel the pocket, and make good decisions under pressure, he won’t be a good college QB, no matter how big or fast he is. Kyle Wright was a much more acclaimed QB prospect. Didn’t matter. And Brown apparently has real work to do on mechanics and accuracy.

So the discussion with Brown should be two things - the probability he’ll develop as a QB inside his head (not physically), and the ability of him to contribute elsewhere if he doesn’t.

I like the take. But I’m not going to try to tell people it’s a good take because of his HS record. It’s mostly irrelevant. Evaluating QBs is hard. You have to assess their minds and potential, and it’s not IQ. It’s football Q. And calmness under pressure. Maybe people who have watched his film see the evidence of those traits. Or they didn’t see any evidence of them but just figure it’s a crapshoot and he’s a good starting point. Either comment would be clear and to the point, not distracted by external things like record.
You literally just described the flaws of countless top college QBs, many of which went high in the draft.

Josh Allen, Daniel Jones, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Sam Howell, etc.

Good scheme and/or athleticism makes a world of difference. You don't have to process the D, feel the pocket and make pressure decisions when you have initial reads defined for you and rarely face pressure (or just outrun it).

It's college football not the NFL playoffs...

Advertisement
You literally just described the flaws of countless top college QBs, many of which went high in the draft.

Josh Allen, Daniel Jones, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Sam Howell, etc.

Good scheme and/or athleticism makes a world of difference. You don't have to process the D, feel the pocket and make pressure decisions when you have initial reads defined for you and rarely face pressure (or just outrun it).

It's college football not the NFL playoffs...
1. I’m not interested in the nfl, just success at Miami
2. Plenty of drafted QBs don’t pan out in the nfl anyhow
3. Not all highly drafted qbs are great college QBs
4. Processing the D, feeling the pocket, and making good decisions under pressure are really valuable attributes of good QBs, generally absent attributes of poor QBs, and hard deficiencies to overcome
5. Relying on our staff to scheme around a QB with these deficiencies seems like a bad bet given our past 2 decades

1. I’m not interested in the nfl, just success at Miami
2. Plenty of drafted QBs don’t pan out in the nfl anyhow
3. Not all highly drafted qbs are great college QBs
4. Processing the D, feeling the pocket, and making good decisions under pressure are really valuable attributes of good QBs, generally absent attributes of poor QBs, and hard deficiencies to overcome
5. Relying on our staff to scheme around a QB with these deficiencies seems like a bad bet given our past 2 decades
Were those guys I listed not good college QBs? The only point I agree with is #5 but it doesn't have to be that way. Lincoln Riley has made a living off taking athletic playmaker QBs and designing offense that looks complex but defines easy reads for QBs.

You don't need to be Matt Leinart when you're Vince Young. As for Jacurri I haven't seen any indication that he has issues in the pocket or with decisionmaking under pressure. You can question his processing skills and pinpoint accuracy but those are traits you can work around. Again most top college QBs have similar limitations and aren't nearly as toolsy as Brown.

Were those guys I listed not good college QBs? The only point I agree with is #5 but it doesn't have to be that way. Lincoln Riley has made a living off taking athletic playmaker QBs and designing offense that looks complex but defines easy reads for QBs.

You don't need to be Matt Leinart when you're Vince Young. As for Jacurri I haven't seen any indication that he has issues in the pocket or with decisionmaking under pressure. You can question his processing skills and pinpoint accuracy but those are traits you can work around. Again most top college QBs have similar limitations and aren't nearly as toolsy as Brown.
Great. So your theory is if only we had Lincoln Riley and Vince Young, we wouldn't need a QB who can read defenses.

I guess we can agree, but I think your perspective is irrelevant to our real world priorities and needs.

Advertisement
Great. So your theory is if only we had Lincoln Riley and Vince Young, we wouldn't need a QB who can read defenses.

I guess we can agree, but I think your perspective is irrelevant to our real world priorities and needs.
Typical straw man from a 20000 porst mouthbreather. Welcome to the ignore list.

Typical straw man from a 20000 porst mouthbreather. Welcome to the ignore list.
You're the one initiating the insults here, but I'm the '2000 post mouthbreather' because I don't go along with your over-stated argument. Not surprised you're retreating. Or hiding yourself from the consequences of your meltdown. And here I'd thought you were a real poster.

Advertisement
Back