Class Impact: Elijah Roberts to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Columbus DL Elijah Roberts recommitted to Miami on Friday night at the Paradise event held at Hard Rock Stadium.

The 6-3, 265-pounder is currently a consensus 3-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite, Roberts is the #384 player nationally, #17 SDE in the country, and the #60 player in the Sunshine State. His commitment keeps Miami’s class ranking at #7 on 247Sports and #5 on Rivals.

The Player

Roberts originally committed to Miami in June 2018 after spending the day at a Mark Richt summer camp, but decommitted later that October because he felt he committed too early and wanted to take visits; he felt being committed to Miami and taking other visits would be disrespectful to the coaching staff. Despite the setback, the Canes stuck with Roberts, and UM was eventually able to pull him back in and away from the other in-state powers FSU and UF.

Roberts is a pure power rusher and has some impressive strength behind his 6’3” frame. He uses his hands well, and with his punch, is able to disengage from blocks easily to make a play. Roberts also shows awareness to diagnose run and is strong both setting the edge to contain or giving chase and take down the ball-carrier. He reminds me a bit of former Alabama star Jonathan Allen in both build and using violent strength.

Despite many pegging him for an eventual move to defensive tackle, Roberts continues to show enough speed to stick on the edge at end. Miami is offering him the chance to play either or, and have told him he will move inside for special packages. Roberts’ rip and swim move is very polished and he looks extremely strong in his bull-rush, which has been his calling card since I first saw him and he has very impressive pure strength at the point of attack. Still, he is able to go around offensive linemen at times, brandishing quick feet and change of direction.

I first saw Roberts at the Under Armour Miami camp back in mid-March 2018, an event he completely dominated against good competition. Not many knew who he was before that, but Roberts made sure he was the talk of the camp afterwards. Roberts was just bullying most every opponent, and won the vast majority of his reps handily. He shared the “Big Man Challenge” honors at the camp with Khris Bogle for the top lineman performance at the camp and earned his UM offer 2 weeks after this camp at Underclassmen Day. Seeing him up close, his physicality really stands out and with his body type, I would not be surprised if he ended up as a defensive tackle.

The Class

Roberts’ commitment gives UM 17 total verbals in the 2020 class (at the time). Roberts is now a part of an impressive haul on the defensive line for the Canes, joining Chaminade-Madonna (FL) 4-star DT Willie Moise, Lakewood (FL) 3-star DT Tre'von Riggins, and McDougle Technical Institute (FL) 4-star DE Samuel Anaele. As mentioned, Roberts could end up as a D-End or a D-Tackle, but since we recently previewed the defensive ends in Donell Harris’ class impact, we’ll take a look at Roberts and the class through the lens of DT.

The top target on the board has been University Lab (LA) 4-star Jaquelin Roy. Miami is pushing to get him on campus and Roy has said in the past he would like to use one of his officials on UM. As of now, Roy seems like a longshot for this class, though, as he seems more focused on the SEC right now.

The Canes are involved with two other in-state defensive tackles as well, including Gulliver Prep (FL) 3-star Westley Neal and Clearwater Central Catholic (FL) 3-star Jerzhan Newton. Neal just received his UM offer earlier this month, and has since reciprocated by visiting Miami for two events, including Paradise this weekend. Newton just put the Canes in his top 5 last week, is in weekly contact with coach Stroud, and is trying to make it to Coral Gables for a visit after the dead period ends in late July. I believe Miami is waiting for more clarity with Roy to start pushing either, and UM could ultimately decide they are fine with the haul they have at DT at some point as well.

The Team

By 2020, Miami will lose veterans Pat Bethel and Chigozie Nnoruka at defensive tackle, while redshirt junior Tyreic Martin will not likely be offered a fifth year. That leaves UM with a returning 6 defensive tackles and a likely starting duo of Jon Ford and Nesta Silvera. Roberts will battle with the other returnees and come in with his classmates looking for immediate playing time on the second team. With his positional versatility and college ready size, Roberts has a better chance of seeing the field as a freshman, even if it is in a bit role. If he can show he’s ready to play, there’s no reason Roberts can’t be in the rotation in his first season. Roberts will hope to develop enough by his sophomore year to begin earning starter’s minutes.

Advertisement
Kid is a tweener to me. In the pat Bethel mold. And I don’t mean that as a knock on him. Might not be a star at the next level but You always need a guy or two like this in a position group. Great motor, future versatility, welcome to the U
He’s got higher a upside than Bethel. He seems more like a RJ McIntosh type - athletic, violent hands, and strong.

Advertisement
He’s got higher a upside than Bethel. He seems more like a RJ McIntosh type - athletic, violent hands, and strong.
Saying a kid is a pat bethel/ Trent Harris type isn’t a knock. Those are the type of guys you need throughout your roster. Now do I see that Same RJ get off, agility, that I saw from Rj in his HS tape, no (but hey maybe I need to get my eyes checked)

This kid can line up legitimately at 3 different Dline spots in our system and produce . In our system he will eat. **** everybody can eat.
Rj was listed 6-5 260-270 coming in. Pat Bethel 6-3 255-265. Roberts is probably 6-3 255-265 rn

For my money he's pretty comparable to Ingraham, feels like nitpicking but Ingraham had slightly better testing numbers outside of vertical so 🤷

Advertisement
Hes alot better than Pat Bethel..his lower body is already bigger than Bethels
I’ll take your word for him as far as his physical traits. Haven’t seen him in person. From what you’ve seen what do you think..as he grows does he stick at SDE or slid inside?

Advertisement
I’ll take your word for him as far as his physical traits. Haven’t seen him in person. From what you’ve seen what do you think..as he grows does he stick at SDE or slid inside?

DT hes gonna have it tough trying to keep the weight down. He can likely line up at End freshman year but the move to the 3 tech is inevitable. He will be up to 280 in no time

Advertisement
Saying a kid is a pat bethel/ Trent Harris type isn’t a knock. Those are the type of guys you need throughout your roster. Now do I see that Same RJ get off, agility, that I saw from Rj in his HS tape, no (but hey maybe I need to get my eyes checked)

This kid can line up legitimately at 3 different Dline spots in our system and produce . In our system he will eat. **** everybody can eat.
Rj was listed 6-5 260-270 coming in. Pat Bethel 6-3 255-265. Roberts is probably 6-3 255-265 rn
[/QUOTE

Bethel was 6-3 and 249 coming out of high school----https://247sports.com/player/pat-bethel-37435/

Last edited:
DT hes gonna have it tough trying to keep the weight down. He can likely line up at End freshman year but the move to the 3 tech is inevitable. He will be up to 280 in no time
Yeah from film and pics I see him progressing like that also. As did pat Bethel. I thought pats HS was very similar to this kid. Just my thought tho..Like I said I haven’t seen buddy in person. I know he’s listed at 6”3 which looks about right. Interested in his length tho which I think is a huge factor playing at the 6”3 275-285 range as a 3tech..but that’s getting technical..I like the kid a lot. I think some thought my comparison to pat Bethel was a knock on him, it wasn’t intended

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back