Class Impact: Elijah Roberts to Miami

Advertisement
Welcome back Elijah! Kids looks the part of SDE his frosh season before moving inside. Looks very strong with multiple moves. Loving this pick, let’s hope he sticks this time around. Finally, we are stacking chips all across the DL. Kids are seeing how much our DL players eat in the backfield. Nothing but love for Roberts, and can’t wait to see him in orange and green.

Yeah from film and pics I see him progressing like that also. As did pat Bethel. I thought pats HS was very similar to this kid. Just my thought tho..Like I said I haven’t seen buddy in person. I know he’s listed at 6”3 which looks about right. Interested in his length tho which I think is a huge factor playing at the 6”3 275-285 range as a 3tech..but that’s getting technical..I like the kid a lot. I think some thought my comparison to pat Bethel was a knock on him, it wasn’t intended
He looks nothing like Pat Bethel to me. They might have the same height and similar weights but their bodies look completely different in my eyes.

Advertisement
I love that we got Roberts. He almost definitely can start out at end and likely easily move inside on passing downs early on. I doubt he redshirts but who knows. I think in a year or two he will look like the prototype defensive tackle Manny seems to like - 280 to 320 6’0 to 6’5. Long term he likely doesn’t fit the mold for what I think this team prefers at defensive end (long arms, lean, quick, explosive, tall).

I know the numbers will never work but I would love for the staff to get Westley Neal or let him commit whichever it is. At that point they can just try to hang onto what they have and focus purely on the pipe dream that is Donell Harris until signing day. This team is crushing it at stocking the defensive line. They could be 3 deep across the line in as little as a year from now.

Not to lose the meaning of the post, but every single coach’s ideal DT is between 6’0” and 6’5” and 280-320 pounds.

(At least in a 4-3)

Advertisement
That’s not true. I should maybe have prefaced it that the hurricanes have a few outliers and the real prototype they seem to like is 6’0 to 6’4 and under 310. Some coaches love having tall guys inside like Coughlin has at one point in Jacksonville. The ravens years ago won playing 2 NTs weighing around 350 at DT. A lot of top college teams would almost never let a 280 pound DT play any meaningful amount of snaps. I don’t think many SEC teams line up against Georgia or Alabama with light defensive tackles.

Really outside of Ford Manny appears to normally prefer guys shorter than 6’4 at DT. Outside of Miller all the guys are under 310 with many under 300. They have a definite type with a few moderate outliers. I don’t see any 6’6-6’9 or 320-360 pound defensive tackles playing any big roles for this team anytime soon.
It depends on scheme. You cant play a 2 gap scheme with a D tackle under 300 pounds at the least. In a one gap you can play guys that are light because they dont hold the line they just go.

Saying a kid is a pat bethel/ Trent Harris type isn’t a knock. Those are the type of guys you need throughout your roster. Now do I see that Same RJ get off, agility, that I saw from Rj in his HS tape, no (but hey maybe I need to get my eyes checked)

This kid can line up legitimately at 3 different Dline spots in our system and produce . In our system he will eat. **** everybody can eat.
Rj was listed 6-5 260-270 coming in. Pat Bethel 6-3 255-265. Roberts is probably 6-3 255-265 rn

Trent Harris was much better for us than bethel has been thus far. Hopefully we get a good senior year from bethel

Trent Harris was much better for us than bethel has been thus far. Hopefully we get a good senior year from bethel
We ask bethel to play a different role and be consistent at that role. With Trent at end he played his role as a elite pass rusher. Personally I like having guys like bethel on the roster cause he does his job. Is he a g Willis no. But we don’t need him to be

Advertisement
Two **** pages?! Y’all disappoint me every time, let it had been a decommit class impact thread mf would have 30+ pages by now.

Ask the mods to merge all the **** threads about him... minimum 40-50 pages total on the kid

I mean if your that triggered by this and all lol

Advertisement
Yeah from film and pics I see him progressing like that also. As did pat Bethel. I thought pats HS was very similar to this kid. Just my thought tho..Like I said I haven’t seen buddy in person. I know he’s listed at 6”3 which looks about right. Interested in his length tho which I think is a huge factor playing at the 6”3 275-285 range as a 3tech..but that’s getting technical..I like the kid a lot. I think some thought my comparison to pat Bethel was a knock on him, it wasn’t intended

Isnt much of a knock as Pat Bethel is a good solid player. Roberts upside though is higher than Pat thats all.

I see folks saying Trent Harris type as well...He is/was bigger as a soph in high school than Trent Harris has ever been. Trent was a tweener in that he could play backer...Elijah is a 3tech or stronside end

Advertisement
Back