Chris Washington - OT

Advertisement
Hope he’s good but we need to stop going with projects at OL. We need guys ready to play

The problem is there are very few that can come in as a true freshman and be ready to play. And the few that are are being chased by heavy bagmen like Evan Neal last year. After years of trying, there's hardly any one on the roster that project as a true tackle except a transfer and a freshman. From the looks of things, Campbell and Hebert aren't ready.

At some point, we have to bite the bullet and get some guys with potential and develop them.

Advertisement
If there's any position in football that's about projecting where a guy will be in 3-5 years, its the Oline. If there's some athletic upside here that can be coached up, and you get your share of blue-chips(like Rivers), well, this is probably the perfect mix. At a certain point you have to be able to develop and cultivate talent, and trust your own evaluations

Right. All you have to do is look at this past NFL draft and the star ratings of the top OL drafted and you'll understand how useless star ratings are for OL who aren't can't miss blue chip prospects

Advertisement
Tennessee hasn't done a thing since Fulmer left about 20 years ago.

It's definitely a good time to kick the tires and see how we can do recruiting there.

Hopefully we pick up the DB, Lawrence in the near future, too.

Advertisement
Just saw a screenshot on twitter of Ivins saying he may CB him to Miami. 6’7 OT From Overton in Nashville and they’re well coached and produce as good of talent as anyone in Tennessee. I didn’t know he was going down for the trip but I recruited him for 2 years. Granted it was an FCS program. Low rated but I really like him as a prospect.

Don’t freak out if he commits because of his rating. He will outplay it and move up and draw more P5 interest from what I’ve heard on his progression. Wait until signing day before you ***** lol. I would say he ends up a 3 star by most outlets but not as low as they have him now.
Thanx for the heads up, now I know ahead of time not to click on the thread when it appears.

Right. All you have to do is look at this past NFL draft and the star ratings of the top OL drafted and you'll understand how useless star ratings are for OL who aren't can't miss blue chip prospects

this is where position coaches earn their money, this is why Coach Barry was brought in.

Most of the great UM teams from what I recall weren't loaded with straight 4, 5 star guys across the board, and a lot of the busts, were 5 star guys who it turned out had peaked in the 12th grade or were just bigger than everyone in high school.

Advertisement
Hope he’s good but we need to stop going with projects at OL. We need guys ready to play

This gets disproven every god damned year by the draft results. The best bet is to take as many tall, athletic, coordinated tackles as you can, whether they are 5 stars or 3 stars. Way too many top ranked guys build their ranking by just being bigger than their opponents, and then they get to campus and have no idea what to do with people their own size.

I’m happy we won’t be scrambling at the end of the year for OT we have 2 committed right now and that shift the focus directly to Walker

Advertisement
Back