Chris Washington - OT

This gets disproven every god damned year by the draft results. The best bet is to take as many tall, athletic, coordinated tackles as you can, whether they are 5 stars or 3 stars. Way too many top ranked guys build their ranking by just being bigger than their opponents, and then they get to campus and have no idea what to do with people their own size.
Lane Johnson, who’s arguably a top 5 tackle in the NFL played QB in high school. More than ever offensive lineman are needing to become more athletic than big. I think Barry coming from the pros makes that connection and that’s why he’s targeting them more than the previous regime.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Hope he’s good but we need to stop going with projects at OL. We need guys ready to play
Every kid is a project especially lineman. If you Look it up you will rarely see high dominant offensive lineman come in college and dominate as freshmen. Unless it’s Alabama lol. But usually when a freshmen offensive lineman comes in and start, it’s because he has a great supporting cast around him.

Advertisement
History should tell you something. Stars really shouldn’t matter with linemen. If it does Miami is screwed. The the four star linemen in the past couple of years hasn’t done crap. I could name them but I don’t do that. Or go hire the current or past line coach from Wisconsin, Michigan, or Nebraska they don’t get the highest rated linemen but they fare well. Miami used to spit out linemen in the draft. It’s about coaching when it comes to these kids and how much work they put in it. Coaches coach players but they don’t make the player. I believe butch Barry will do great here but it still remains to be seen.

History should tell you something. Stars really shouldn’t matter with linemen. If it does Miami is screwed. The the four star linemen in the past couple of years hasn’t done crap. I could name them but I don’t do that. Or go hire the current or past line coach from Wisconsin, Michigan, or Nebraska they don’t get the highest rated linemen but they fare well. Miami used to spit out linemen in the draft. It’s about coaching when it comes to these kids and how much work they put in it. Coaches coach players but they don’t make the player. I believe butch Barry will do great here but it still remains to be seen.

Getting walker will be really tough, but if we grab him we will some really good talent to work with. A couple studs and a couple developmental guys

Advertisement
Getting walker will be really tough, but if we grab him we will some really good talent to work with. A couple studs and a couple developmental guys

I'd be very happy with an OL class of Walker, River, Washington and Smith. Maybe grab one more, but I think with the recent addition of the JC guy Traore, four OL is good for the '20 class.

Advertisement
The problem is there are very few that can come in as a true freshman and be ready to play. And the few that are are being chased by heavy bagmen like Evan Neal last year. After years of trying, there's hardly any one on the roster that project as a true tackle except a transfer and a freshman. From the looks of things, Campbell and Hebert aren't ready.

At some point, we have to bite the bullet and get some guys with potential and develop them.
My only wish for the world is peace on earth and that Canes fans one day learn that most lineman even elite don’t start and shouldn’t start their freshman year as they aren’t ready and anytime that they are forced to do so means we have bigger problems.

I'm sure it was fake happiness because everybody knows we"re taking the bottom of the barrel...just ask the guys in the other thread. We should be taking only four and five stars , guys who became great because they were 6'3", 340 lbs and leaned like big globs of goo all over 205 lb DLs til they both fell over and it looked like the DL got buried by a giant Coke machine after he shook it back and forth, trying to retrieve his lost quarter until they both tipped over and the skinny DL couldn't get out from under.

The heck with quick feet, height, long arms, good footwork and balance.

Advertisement
Back