Chase Smith Commits

This is just false. The Steelers have been using it for years, as have a number of other teams. A ton of college teams have “strikers”, they just have a different but equally stupid name for the spot. UF, Auburn, and Bama call theirs the star, South Carolina is the spur, ND and Texas have the rover, Michigan is the viper.

All of those teams hybrid position is much better than the striker.. Miami has the only hybrid with LBers in man coverage in the slot every time. They are invisible if the play doesn’t go to the slot receiver or If they’re not blitzing.

Those other teams don’t have their hybrids so strict to one assignment. They operate more like an extra safety / lber that can cover the slot as well... while ours is just a glorified nickel corner 9/10.

Advertisement
All of those teams hybrid position is much better than the striker.. Miami has the only hybrid with LBers in man coverage in the slot every time. They are invisible if the play doesn’t go to the slot receiver or If they’re not blitzing.

Those other teams don’t have their hybrids so strict to one assignment. They operate more like an extra safety / lber that can cover the slot as well... while ours is just a glorified nickel corner 9/10.
Except Keontra, Gilbert and Amari are all safeties and are our primary strikers. It is ok to just say you were talking out of your *** and were wrong. I’ll probably say that to my wife while asleep before 7 am tomorrow. But none of what you said is rooted in any fact or logic. It’s complete nonsense.

10A3D826-2522-40A0-9F52-D69EFFE4D96C.gif

Wow! Incredible acceleration, and nose for the ball, especially for a 6"2-3" guy. Holy crap.

First highlights I've watched of him, we r doing really good, great things to come.
Agreed first I’ve seen his HUDL since he committed. Young man is explosive as all get out and causing massive TFL. And is a helluva WR to boot. Super stoked he is in the class and that we’re really starting to add some really impressive pieces this 2021 class. Those in front of these kids beat hustle...the incoming freshmen in 2021 aren’t going to sit on the sidelines for very long. Iron sharpens iron

Advertisement
If I'm Baker I'm scheming up a sub package for next year to have Chase Smith, James Williams, Avery Huff, Sam Brooks, Keontra Smith, Jalen Harrell & Kamren Kinchens all on the field at the same time.

We low key got like 3 Freakish Isaiah Simmons style athletes in terms of length, quick-twitch & explosiveness.

Absolutely insane man...
Agreed LCE Manny & Co. are building a frighteningly stout defense that has all the makings of being elite for years to come. Add in the DE/DT positions and I feel strongly it will rival what Clemson can field. We just, JUST have to put it together on the field and in season. We do that the flood gates open up and we can utter the three words we’ve said too quick previously.

Great commit but I don’t like the “being recruited as a striker” part. I personally feel like the striker position is the one hybrid position in college that doesnt make the talent stand out and it limits your impact but also it’s just weird to identify a recruit as a “striker” instead of an athlete bc It’s not a real position. No other team in High school CFB or the NFL has a striker position.

You’re not going to get drafted playing striker your entire career. Which is why I don’t like Frierson and Keontra being strikers their entire Miami careers they should be able to move to safety, like Jaquan Johnson was able to, instead of us having to depend on True freshmen and redshirt freshman these next two seasons.

It seems like they were trying to justify the take bc we overrecruited the lber position between this year and last year.
Sorry but I disagree. The 4-2-5 in some variation is here to stay against spread teams. The striker, rover, space backer, whatever you want to call him, needs to be smaller than your traditional outside linebacker to cover more space and still be big enough to fight off lineman. This kid should grow into a 210 pounder without losing a step. You have to have inside guys who can really eat up space and a 1-technique tackle who is huge and can plug the middle. Love Shaq just could but he just couldn't cover enough ground. He is a more traditional 4-3 mike. We need to be smaller and faster on the inside. Kids like Brooks and Huff are the future not the past. To be pull this off you need a true dominant nose and a really quick 3-technique tackle.

Facts are lost on many who post here.
Here is the problem w that and why it's lost on many posters: Manny attributed GR15 not starting earlier last year to everything BUT health. So he and Baker may very well not played GR15 for health reasons, but that ain't what they were spewing publicly. When asked about it Manny and Baker could have easily said he wasn't ready health wise (which would've been a lot easier), but instead they chose to allocate the decision to him not handling assignments, work ethic, and technique. Think it was around the Central Michigan game.

It doesn't matter now bc they eventually got it right. But it's hard to fault folks for bringing up Patchan starting over GR15 as a misstep and error in judgement when from the HC's own mouth it didn't have anything to do to w him coming off an injury.

Reminds me of a taller, bigger-framed Derrick Smith on steroids. Similar traits with respect to being a jumbo DB/OLB, hard-hitter, really good hands on the defensive side. Kid’s gon ball.

Advertisement
Here is the problem w that and why it's lost on many posters: Manny attributed GR15 not starting earlier last year to everything BUT health. So he and Baker may very well not played GR15 for health reasons, but that ain't what they were spewing publicly. When asked about it Manny and Baker could have easily said he wasn't ready health wise (which would've been a lot easier), but instead they chose to allocate the decision to him not handling assignments, work ethic, and technique. Think it was around the Central Michigan game.

It doesn't matter now bc they eventually got it right. But it's hard to fault folks for bringing up Patchan starting over GR15 as a misstep and error in judgement when from the HC's own mouth it didn't have anything to do to w him coming off an injury.

I hear you, but people jump on the coaches all the time like they actually know what's going on inside the program. The backup is almost always better than the mediocre starter.

It's a CIS tradition, forming emphatic opinions, when they're not part of the program, or even in the same state. Coaches rarely talk about injuries, so there's that as well.

I would bet the comments about assignments, technique, etc could also be correct. It's hard to do those things at full speed when coming back until you're comfortable.

Except Keontra, Gilbert and Amari are all safeties and are our primary strikers. It is ok to just say you were talking out of your *** and were wrong. I’ll probably say that to my wife while asleep before 7 am tomorrow. But none of what you said is rooted in any fact or logic. It’s complete nonsense.

Amari isn’t a striker and never was one. That comment about LBers lining up in the striker was exaggerating my point about how it takes players out of their element and takes away the impact they have on a defense. Although McCloud was the original striker in this defense.

Romeo Finley was completely invisible at striker, Gilbert Frierson made one play as a striker bc the QB threw a telegraphed screen on his side of the field. And we saw Keontra Smith playing striker get burned by Mike Haley in one on one coverage in a scrimmage just like how UNC did against us last year.

The Striker does our players a disservice and limits their impact on a defense.

What KrazyCane lacks in actual football knowledge, he makes up for with his abundant hatred of homosexuals.

Advertisement
Can we please bring Chase in as a WR for his first day at UM, so we can give him jersey number 84?

Sorry but I disagree. The 4-2-5 in some variation is here to stay against spread teams. The striker, rover, space backer, whatever you want to call him, needs to be smaller than your traditional outside linebacker to cover more space and still be big enough to fight off lineman. This kid should grow into a 210 pounder without losing a step. You have to have inside guys who can really eat up space and a 1-technique tackle who is huge and can plug the middle. Love Shaq just could but he just couldn't cover enough ground. He is a more traditional 4-3 mike. We need to be smaller and faster on the inside. Kids like Brooks and Huff are the future not the past. To be pull this off you need a true dominant nose and a really quick 3-technique tackle.
This is why I've always said Patterson would have killed it here from 07 moving onward....

Amari isn’t a striker and never was one. That comment about LBers lining up in the striker was exaggerating my point about how it takes players out of their element and takes away the impact they have on a defense. Although McCloud was the original striker in this defense.

Romeo Finley was completely invisible at striker, Gilbert Frierson made one play as a striker bc the QB threw a telegraphed screen on his side of the field. And we saw Keontra Smith playing striker get burned by Mike Haley in one on one coverage in a scrimmage just like how UNC did against us last year.

Bruh, Finley was a bright spot on our team playing striker.

Advertisement

Are you really talking about one clip of a scrimmage as evidence that Keontra Smith, a second year guy, is not equipped for the position and that the position doesn’t work? This may come as a surprise, but DBs are going to give up completions both in games and scrimmages. McCloud was our first striker in our first year with it because we had not recruited the position before. Trust me, there are parts of Manny’s defense that I don’t like, but you are citing complete bs. You can’t debate with the voluntarily ignorant, so this conversation is done. Enjoy your weekend.

Advertisement
Back