Chase Smith Commits

Advertisement
Are you really talking about one clip of a scrimmage as evidence that Keontra Smith, a second year guy, is not equipped for the position and that the position doesn’t work? This may come as a surprise, but DBs are going to give up completions both in games and scrimmages. McCloud was our first striker in our first year with it because we had not recruited the position before. Trust me, there are parts of Manny’s defense that I don’t like, but you are citing complete bs. You can’t debate with the voluntarily ignorant, so this conversation is done. Enjoy your weekend.
No i was just pointing out that teams expose the striker position in the same way both In run and pass. It was nothing about Keontra Smith as a talent but he is a safety not a nickel corner... that shouldn’t be their primary assignment. The striker should be a combo of a rover and nickel, not just a nickel that’s big to he can help against the run if he’s not out of place.... which most talented teams spread the slot receiver further out wide so the striker isn’t in position to stop the run unless the runner is going to their side of the field.

Last edited:
Sorry but I disagree. The 4-2-5 in some variation is here to stay against spread teams. The striker, rover, space backer, whatever you want to call him, needs to be smaller than your traditional outside linebacker to cover more space and still be big enough to fight off lineman. This kid should grow into a 210 pounder without losing a step. You have to have inside guys who can really eat up space and a 1-technique tackle who is huge and can plug the middle. Love Shaq just could but he just couldn't cover enough ground. He is a more traditional 4-3 mike. We need to be smaller and faster on the inside. Kids like Brooks and Huff are the future not the past. To be pull this off you need a true dominant nose and a really quick 3-technique tackle.
I like the 4-2-5 and the 3-3-5 hybrid that teams like LSU run. But I don’t like the striker position bc it’s just a bigger nickel. I feel that Chase Smith is the perfect type of athlete for a hybrid position but just being restricted to nickel is going to limit his impact on this team.

Amari isn’t a striker and never was one. That comment about LBers lining up in the striker was exaggerating my point about how it takes players out of their element and takes away the impact they have on a defense. Although McCloud was the original striker in this defense.

Romeo Finley was completely invisible at striker, Gilbert Frierson made one play as a striker bc the QB threw a telegraphed screen on his side of the field. And we saw Keontra Smith playing striker get burned by Mike Haley in one on one coverage in a scrimmage just like how UNC did against us last year.

The Striker does our players a disservice and limits their impact on a defense.

lol Romeo was invisible at Striker? Hahaha Bro what?

Advertisement
Romeo Finley was a good player but he was limited to one side of the field. Two things can be true... he can be one of our “best” players on defense but still be invisible majority of the game.

1 INT, 3 PBU, 54 tackles is solid but not enough to get drafted when that’s your best Year in your cfb career. Hard to maximize your potential playing that position your entire career.

I like the 4-2-5 and the 3-3-5 hybrid that teams like LSU run. But I don’t like the striker position bc it’s just a bigger nickel. I feel that Chase Smith is the perfect type of athlete for a hybrid position but just being restricted to nickel is going to limit his impact on this team.
I view the striker, rover, space backer as another strong safety who is in the box. If you are running a true 4-2-5, he is on the 80 to 90 percent of the time. You might want to go with a true nickle corner 3rd and long when it makes sense.

Advertisement
The chit @KrazyCane be saying have me like this

FB_IMG_1598738286550.jpg

I see more Isiah Simmons in him then James Williams.

I'd actually want to see this kid get up to 225lbs as a RS Soph and play him at TE. Kid would bring heat to blocking and guy attacks the ball doesn't wait for it. As an Offensive coach that's where id put him.

As a defensive coach, I can see this guy playing Will, the scheming you can do with that athleticism is awesome.
VS a 3x1 set, you can have the Boundary corner play high and he can cover flats and just sniff the box at a 70 position, and he'd get the edged, but also can take care of the slant/hooks and maybe even fast enough for the WR hitch.

Maybe @Liberty City El and @DMoney, can give me their take on this, if their eyes line up wiht mine.

Favourite part of football is projecting guys and this guys drips with fun as a coach, cause there too many positions he can play haha
Interesting take because I remember that Jimmy Johnson used to favor versatility in kids he recruited. This kid has that.

Not sure why the sarcasm? I think we have a legit shot to challenge Bama if we can find a QB to lead us. They'll be a heavy favorite. But it's not like we are a partial team like when we played LSU or Clemson recently. We'll have quality guys at every position by then whom we can count on to do their part. QB will be the big question mark.
A win against bama would change the school instantly for the best. Doubt we win they are completely loaded and been doing this for years. Our roster physically ain't ready imo. They recruit different type of beasts on the OL and DL....we just started recruiting better there but it's probably too late.

A win against bama would change the school instantly for the best. Doubt we win they are completely loaded and been doing this for years. Our roster physically ain't ready imo. They recruit different type of beasts on the OL and DL....we just started recruiting better there but it's probably too late.
OL? For sure, but DL? I think its fair to say we recruit beasts at DL as well. Sure, they aren't 5 stars, but the evals have been on point regardless.

Advertisement
What’s the wild stat they have going... think it’s 90 straight wins against unranked teams under Saban. The definition of consistency

Advertisement
Ok I just watched Smith’s highlight reel. I stay away from highlight reels until the player commits because I don’t want the disappointment of seeing a good video and then the Player goes somewhere else.
All that being written, Smith’s video is fantastic. To see a player his size moving that way is amazing. He can cover, he can rush the passer, he hits. The thought of Smith and Williams in the back 7 together, with their length, athleticism and size, is remarkable. I can’t wait to see how much ground these guys will cover on the back end. forget throwing the ball over the middle if you’re an opposing team.

Advertisement
Back