Chase Smith Commits

You think we gonna be ready for bama???
It would depend on how much playing time our freshman get this year and how many dudes declare at bama.
Can’t put out a bunch of dudes on defense that haven’t played much against a Bama team full of upper classman. I kind of wish they win a natty this year so their juniors wont have a reason to stay.
However, bama and Clemson have way$ to keep day one picks from saying no to multi million dollar signing bonus.

Advertisement
I agree but I don't see the harm in letting him learn some of the nuances of the Striker position early on. His money position is obviously OLB but if that room ever got hit with the injury bug, he and Huff would be the most likely candidates to slide over there for spot duty in a pinch. Better than that awful McCloud Striker experiment. BJ and Steed coming on strong from their injuries provides the LB depth we need to allow him to spend time learning over there if they choose to go that route...

What are his 40 and shuttle times? Because he doesn't look any slower than Gil on his HUDL highlights. He ran down wide receivers on several snaps. Is his competition that bad at Bayside?

This Defense for 2021 is LOADED...

WDE - Jahfari Harvey/ Quentin Williams/ Thomas Davis
DT - Jade Silvera/ Jordan Miller/Jason Blissett/ Jalar Holley/ Savion Collins
DT - Jared Harrison-Hunte/ Leonard Taylor/Elijah Roberts/ Allan Haye
SDE - Chantz Williams/ Cameron Williams/ Jabari Ishmael

Mike LB - Bradley Jennings Jr/ Corey Flagg/ Patrick Joyner Jr/ Deshawn Troutman
Will LB - Sam Brooks/ Avery Huff/ Waynmon Steed/ Tirek Austin-Cave/ Tyler Johnson

Striker - Gilbert Frierson/ Keontra Smith/ Chase Smith

Field CB - Al Blades/ Christian Williams/ Markevious Brown (hopefully)
Nickel CB - Te'Cory Couch/ Marcus Clarke/ Tim Burns Jr
Boundary CB - DJ Ivey/ Isaiah Dunson/ Malik Curtis

FS - Avantae Williams/ Jalen Harrell/ Kamren Kinchens
SS - Amari Carter/ Brian Balom/ James Williams/ Keshawn Washington

(I assume Gurvan & Bubba leave after the season & Amari will come back, Idk if they will, that's just my guess).

We are going to have a Defense filled with aggressive quick-twitch athletes who are multi-purpose multi-use style players that can absolutely get after the ball.

Team Defensive speed is on an uptick, we got some high powered athletically gifted velociraptors & our depth will be as strong as any program in the ACC.
CB and Mike LB are a noticeable drop off from the other positions, which are, quite frankly, amazingly deep.

It'll be a blowout. We should be 25 point favorites. By 2021, we will have more talent than the Ravens. Best team ever and stuff.

Not sure why the sarcasm? I think we have a legit shot to challenge Bama if we can find a QB to lead us. They'll be a heavy favorite. But it's not like we are a partial team like when we played LSU or Clemson recently. We'll have quality guys at every position by then whom we can count on to do their part. QB will be the big question mark.

Advertisement
c12598c999ac4176798da0c05690e810.gif

Advertisement
OK, it's easy to identify the Gaytor fan posting patterns, but let's shine a spotlight on the passive-aggressive BS that is employed by a certain type of UM fan. The "I'm so triggered by past recruiting losses that I won't watch a video until the kid commits" fan who can't wait to infect the rest of us with their misery. Here's the routine:

1. Kid commits, a commit thread is created. Keep in mind, we've been recruiting the kid for a year, and the slump-shouldered mopes have had plenty of time to comment on "what position will he play".

2. Slump-shouldered, veiny-calved mopes then start up their schtick, going onto the commit thread to criticize the player or posters who like the player ("with all due respect"), regardless of whether the player is a 4-star, Top 250, and/or a UM legacy.

3. Other posters attempt to answer the "concerns" or chastise the slump-shouldered, veiny-calved, gaping ****** mopes for pointless criticism on a commit thread.

Slump-shouldered, veiny-calved, gaping ******, lazy-faced mopes then get salty and defensive, accusing "everyone else" of having no standards of excellence or not allowing "discussion", while they baselessly pat themselves on their backs for their (fraudulent) video-review skillz.

This happens in nearly every commit thread. Pathetic.
To be fair, that could be a combination of hard gym work and appropriate PEDs.

Not sure why the sarcasm? I think we have a legit shot to challenge Bama if we can find a QB to lead us. They'll be a heavy favorite. But it's not like we are a partial team like when we played LSU or Clemson recently. We'll have quality guys at every position by then whom we can count on to do their part. QB will be the big question mark.
I personally wish our fans would be more focused on the next opponent than on the flashy 2021 opener. And I do believe we will be in a position to make it a game.

Advertisement
Great commit but I don’t like the “being recruited as a striker” part. I personally feel like the striker position is the one hybrid position in college that doesnt make the talent stand out and it limits your impact but also it’s just weird to identify a recruit as a “striker” instead of an athlete bc It’s not a real position. No other team in High school CFB or the NFL has a striker position.

You’re not going to get drafted playing striker your entire career. Which is why I don’t like Frierson and Keontra being strikers their entire Miami careers they should be able to move to safety, like Jaquan Johnson was able to, instead of us having to depend on True freshmen and redshirt freshman these next two seasons.

It seems like they were trying to justify the take bc we overrecruited the lber position between this year and last year.

Advertisement
Great commit but I don’t like the “being recruited as a striker” part. I personally feel like the striker position is the one hybrid position in college that doesnt make the talent stand out and it limits your impact but also it’s just weird to identify a recruit as a “striker” instead of an athlete bc It’s not a real position. No other team in High school CFB or the NFL has a striker position.

You’re not going to get drafted playing striker your entire career. Which is why I don’t like Frierson and Keontra being strikers their entire Miami careers they should be able to move to safety, like Jaquan Johnson was able to, instead of us having to depend on True freshmen and redshirt freshman these next two seasons.

It seems like they were trying to justify the take bc we overrecruited the lber position between this year and last year.
This is just false. The Steelers have been using it for years, as have a number of other teams. A ton of college teams have “strikers”, they just have a different but equally stupid name for the spot. UF, Auburn, and Bama call theirs the star, South Carolina is the spur, ND and Texas have the rover, Michigan is the viper.

I agree but I don't see the harm in letting him learn some of the nuances of the Striker position early on. His money position is obviously OLB but if that room ever got hit with the injury bug, he and Huff would be the most likely candidates to slide over there for spot duty in a pinch. Better than that awful McCloud Striker experiment. BJ and Steed coming on strong from their injuries provides the LB depth we need to allow him to spend time learning over there if they choose to go that route...

He’s an OLB all day IMO.

We need to change our approach. In the matchup game, our Strikers should be covering TEs and RBs more often... We need to get the right personnel on the field and allow a 3rd CB to cover the slot. Cut out all this open field coverage of slot WRs by unequipped personnel. I don’t want this kid chasing slot WRs unless it’s a situational TE. A sudo safety covering the slot is a bad matchup for us. I don’t like it. Even Finley took a huge step backwards last year. I just think we will stymie the kids growth and true development by using him as a Striker AND allowing him to be coached by Patke.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back