Charlie Strong

I hear what you guys are saying about not winning at Texas and Bridgewater at UL, but you can't forget the fact that he (A) had nasty defenses at UL and (B) recruited very well and sent a lot of guys to the NFL.

I don't disagree with what you guys are saying though.

Why can't he do the same here? With the way he recruits we would have no problem dominating the ACC.

Advertisement
Looks like he's trying to save his job already. #desperation

Wish golden had that desperation

Golden knew last yr he didn't have to do shi* with changes. He knew he wasn't getting bought out of his contract.

Just watch his press conference, Golden wants no part of Miami after this year....
Win or lose, (I still think we finish sub .500)
Golden is fired or hired away after this year

Golden thinks he's too good for the little University of Miami. He made that clear when he tried to bolt for the PSU job. He's just going thru the motions here since he didn't get that job. He thinks of us as only a slight step up from Temple. We mean NOTHING to him.

If he can't do it at Texas, why would he do it at Miami? I don't get how it would make sense here.
I truly have no answer for that. Just a gut feeling that he would succeed here. Maybe he knows the south Florida landscape better? Not sure but he's got a very good eye for talent and develops his players very well. It's still only his second year at Texas so he could very well turn things around but I just don't know that he'll be given the time to do so. It's hard for me to believe his time at UL was a fluke.

I doubt it. Even if this year is his final year at Texas, that would be evidence of three seasons without a Heisman QB (2010, 2014 and 2015).
It would just lead me to believe it was more the QB and less the coach.
Very valid argument and I cant disagree with it.

It is what it is. Blessed by HEISMAN talent, possibly exposed without it.

This wouldn't be the first time this happened either. There are a few other coaches as well to watch.

Where have I seen that before?

gene_chizik.jpg

I hear what you guys are saying about not winning at Texas and Bridgewater at UL, but you can't forget the fact that he (A) had nasty defenses at UL and (B) recruited very well and sent a lot of guys to the NFL.

Why can't he do the same here? With the way he recruits we would have no problem dominating the ACC.

He played in an absolute joke conference, benefitted from taking the kids that couldn't get into real schools.

Clearly he isn't all that as a recruiter, when he can't just accept the retards that don't qualify for UM and UF. Additionally, how many times does it need to be explained that elite schools recruit when they win. He clearly can't win in the real conference.

Advertisement
Strong is going to go to a school like NC State and pull a Rich Rodriguez.

Clearly he isn't all that as a recruiter, when he can't just accept the retards that don't qualify for UM and UF.

You mean those "retards" that drubbed us 67-22 in less than a year?

Yes. Just bc they aren't academic all stars doesn't mean they aren't ballers.

Miami's problem is we refuse to use the sliding scale, and kids end up elsewhere.

He played in an absolute joke conference, benefitted from taking the kids that couldn't get into real schools.

Clearly he isn't all that as a recruiter, when he can't just accept the retards that don't qualify for UM and UF. Additionally, how many times does it need to be explained that elite schools recruit when they win. He clearly can't win in the real conference.

I don't care what conference he played in, they were good. Period. One of the best defenses in the country during his tenure and they sent a bunch of guys to the NFL by recruiting the kids Miami didn't want.

Now, if you're saying he couldn't do it at Miami cause he couldn't get those kids in, sure. I can see that.

Honestly...

I don't remember those Miami kids (at UL) being grade casualties. James Burgess, Bridgewater, Keith Brown, etc.

Advertisement

He had the best talent by far in that conference and couldn't run the table. Lost @Cuse and at home vs UConn Teddy's So year and at home vs UCF his Jr year.

They should have been merking teams with Teddy B but Strong didn't open up the offense like he should of. He's a defensive coach who is too conservative offensively.

He isn't a national championship caliber coach, Do Not Want.

We need someone ruthless.

Strong should pull a Paul Johnson with the GT offense. Or bring back the wishbone. Only a few schools really play defense in the Big 12 anyway...

He had the best talent by far in that conference and couldn't run the table. Lost @Cuse and at home vs UConn Teddy's So year and at home vs UCF his Jr year.

They should have been merking teams with Teddy B but Strong didn't open up the offense like he should of. He's a defensive coach who is too conservative offensively.

He isn't a national championship caliber coach, Do Not Want.

We need someone ruthless.

Not only did he have those losses but, look at some of his wins those 2 years.

2012 He beat...
FIU by 7
So. Miss by 4
USF by 2
Cinn by 3 in OT
Rut by 3

2013 he beat
Houston by 7
Memphis by 7
Cinn by 7 in OT

Never won an outright conference championship in a terrible conference with the best talent. He is essentially the black Al Golden!

Advertisement
Honestly...

I don't remember those Miami kids (at UL) being grade casualties. James Burgess, Bridgewater, Keith Brown, etc.
They weren't grade casualties. They were kids none of the big 3 wanted. He took them and built a solid team that beat UF in a bowl game and pummeled us. He also won 11 games I believe. The bridfewater argument is valid but I don't think he's garbage as others are saying. I think he has a very good eye for talent has a great defense and develops talent very well.

I don't know what kind of offense he runs but he may have to go the Gary Patterson route and completely change his offense.

Is Texas about to implode?

In the wake of Charlie Strong changing offensive coordinators from Shawn Watson to Jay Norvell this week, The Oklahoman's Berry Tramel asked, is Texas on the verge of imploding?

Tramel also posed the following five questions, all interesting enough to address individually:

1. Can Texas now stop the charade that Joe Wickline was the play-caller, and can Wickline and/or Texas just pay off Oklahoma State. Wickline was not ever going to be the offensive coordinator at Texas. That’s just semantics to get him more money. Can we all agree that OSU ultimately is the party that stood on truth?

Trotter: I would think Oklahoma State's attorneys have to be feeling very confident this week, if they didn't already.

2. Does this mean redshirt freshman quarterback Jerrod Heard is about to take over for veteran Tyrone Swoopes?

Trotter: Yes. The coordinator change seemed also to be about changing directions at QB, too. It's become pretty evident the Longhorns are limited with Swoopes behind center. At least Heard offers upside and hope. At the very least the Longhorns have to find out if Heard can be their QB of the future. They are pretty much know now it isn't Swoopes.

Charlie Strong could be looking at a 1-5 start at Texas if they can't beat Cal. Getty Images/Jon Durr
3. Could this season go south quickly?

Trotter: In spite of the turmoil, Texas should handle Rice this weekend. But if the Longhorns can't defeat a solid Cal club the following week, they could be staring down the pike of a 1-5 start with Oklahoma State, TCU and Oklahoma looming. If that happened, the season would be an utter disaster.

4. Could Strong be in trouble after just two seasons?

Trotter: I never envisioned a scenario in which Strong could be fired after just two seasons. Even with the staff upheaval, I still don't think he's in trouble. But I didn't think he'd demote his offensive coordinator after one game. If Texas falls to Rice, all bets are off.

5. Can Norvell make a difference?

Trotter: Norvell was fired at Oklahoma last year, but part of that was recruiting and part was him getting caught up in Bob Stoops being pressured to make wholesale changes after a disappointing season. And while Norvell hasn't called plays since 2007 when he was at UCLA, he forged a reputation as a strong on-field coach in Norman. Norvell might not fare better than Watson. But it's difficult to see him faring worse than Texas' last three dismal offensive performances dating back to last year. Jake Trotter, ESPN Are Texas Longhorns about to implode? - Big 12 Blog - ESPN

Is Texas about to implode?

In the wake of Charlie Strong changing offensive coordinators from Shawn Watson to Jay Norvell this week, The Oklahoman's Berry Tramel asked, is Texas on the verge of imploding?

Tramel also posed the following five questions, all interesting enough to address individually:

1. Can Texas now stop the charade that Joe Wickline was the play-caller, and can Wickline and/or Texas just pay off Oklahoma State. Wickline was not ever going to be the offensive coordinator at Texas. That’s just semantics to get him more money. Can we all agree that OSU ultimately is the party that stood on truth?

Trotter: I would think Oklahoma State's attorneys have to be feeling very confident this week, if they didn't already.

2. Does this mean redshirt freshman quarterback Jerrod Heard is about to take over for veteran Tyrone Swoopes?

Trotter: Yes. The coordinator change seemed also to be about changing directions at QB, too. It's become pretty evident the Longhorns are limited with Swoopes behind center. At least Heard offers upside and hope. At the very least the Longhorns have to find out if Heard can be their QB of the future. They are pretty much know now it isn't Swoopes.

Charlie Strong could be looking at a 1-5 start at Texas if they can't beat Cal. Getty Images/Jon Durr
3. Could this season go south quickly?

Trotter: In spite of the turmoil, Texas should handle Rice this weekend. But if the Longhorns can't defeat a solid Cal club the following week, they could be staring down the pike of a 1-5 start with Oklahoma State, TCU and Oklahoma looming. If that happened, the season would be an utter disaster.

4. Could Strong be in trouble after just two seasons?

Trotter: I never envisioned a scenario in which Strong could be fired after just two seasons. Even with the staff upheaval, I still don't think he's in trouble. But I didn't think he'd demote his offensive coordinator after one game. If Texas falls to Rice, all bets are off.

5. Can Norvell make a difference?

Trotter: Norvell was fired at Oklahoma last year, but part of that was recruiting and part was him getting caught up in Bob Stoops being pressured to make wholesale changes after a disappointing season. And while Norvell hasn't called plays since 2007 when he was at UCLA, he forged a reputation as a strong on-field coach in Norman. Norvell might not fare better than Watson. But it's difficult to see him faring worse than Texas' last three dismal offensive performances dating back to last year. Jake Trotter, ESPN Are Texas Longhorns about to implode? - Big 12 Blog - ESPN

Would all bets be off if Golden's UM falls to FAU?

Advertisement
This isn't the first time He's changed play-callers in-season, He did it in 2011 also.
And what's funny is, the guy He's replacing now, was a replacement for the guy He fired the first time:

"Watson was not retained in a 2011 realignment of assistant coaches at Nebraska, and was subsequently hired as the quarterbacks coach at the University of Louisville.

After a lackluster offensive performance against Marshall, offensive coordinator Mike Sanford did not travel with the Cardinals for their next game, against North Carolina. Watson was named the play-caller for that game. CBSSports.com's Brett McMurphy reported that Sanford had been fired and replaced by Watson. However, The Courier-Journal's Rick Bozich reported that Sanford was still with the team, but may be demoted to a position coach. Bozich later confirmed that Sanford was no longer offensive coordinator.

The following Monday, Head Coach Charlie Strong announced that Watson would serve as offensive coordinator for the remainder of the season."

Last edited:
I've seen certain posters in other threads talk about wanting Strong to be Golden's successor. But the OC he just demoted (Shawn Watson) was hired to install an up-tempo spread, even though his entire coaching background revolved around running a methodical West Coast pro-style offense. It was considered a bizarre, out-of-nowhere hire and it obviously looks even more harebrained now.

Not to mention that Strong failed to land in-state five-star QB Kyler Murray in a head-to-head battle with Texas A&M, even though the Aggies landed a five-star QB of their own (Kyle Allen) in the previous recruiting cycle. Texas' QB situation is an absolute dumpster fire. Murray could've been the uncontested Day 1 starter there. That miss is likely going to cost Strong his job in the not-so-distant future because of putrid QB play from Swoopes.

Strong hiring Watson as his OC in the first place combined with his inability to land Murray raise huge red flags. Without Teddy and Parker, he's showing he has no clue how to coach or recruit offense.

Kyler Murray is also a Aggie legacy with his dad playing QB at Texas A&M, Texas put the full court pressure on Murray till the end to the point of rumors that Murray was going to decommit from A&M (and for Texas to even be in thick of it when Murray's options were Baseball and A&M as well as Oregon being a option before he committed is saying something) , Strong also had another QB committed in Zach Gentry who later flipped to Michigan when they hired Jim. I agree with you on Swoopes unfortunately the two QBs he has on the roster Mack recruited and during the last few years of Mack coaching career he went with pro typical players for example Swoopes being about 6-5 with a strong arm but without accuracy and fell in love with him during one of his camps but in that same camp JT Barrett was camping the staff wanted Barrett over Swoopes but Mack knew he wanted Swoopes for a while and never perused JT.

Last edited:
Watson and Norvell were assistance together at Nebraska under Callahan.

I think Norvell has been unlucky picking Head coaches who were wrong for the schools they were at and has been let go. Callahan would have been Petrino at a school on the coast. But he was too much of a **** head for Nebraskians. He then went to Coach with Karl Dorell at UCLA but that was too big of leap for a position coach to jump right to a HC position at a Pac 12 school. Now he is with Strong who never should have left the ACC or SEC.

Advertisement
Back