Charlie Strong

strips OC of play calling duties and hands them off to new guy on staff after 38-3 loss to ND. Have mixed emotions about it but there is a head coach with balls that isn't satisfied with losing and takes action. Meanwhile, we hear about clouds, wind, night games, etc. Texas administration also puts a boat load of pressure to win which we don't have at Miami and why you see changes being made by Strong. The guy that he stripped from play calling was his boy at Louisville with him....sound familiar?

so you think Charlie is in Charge.....Oh Okay

Either he is or their administration actually puts pressure on him.

Advertisement
lose again and not even be competitive and he won't last the season.

I agree. These kinds of losses will get him canned. Texas has money to throw at the problem. That doesn't mean they will get it right, but they'll do something. IMO, they won't let lopsided losses continue for much longer.

lose again and not even be competitive and he won't last the season.
Yep. Can't believe it either. He should get 3 years to turn things around. Every coach deserves 3 years even golden. If it doesn't happen by then, it's most likely will never happen. But I think he could turn it around. Texas was a real dumpster fire when he took over. But I don't think he's gonna last

I've seen certain posters in other threads talk about wanting Strong to be Golden's successor. But the OC he just demoted (Shawn Watson) was hired to install an up-tempo spread, even though his entire coaching background revolved around running a methodical West Coast pro-style offense. It was considered a bizarre, out-of-nowhere hire and it obviously looks even more harebrained now.

Not to mention that Strong failed to land in-state five-star QB Kyler Murray in a head-to-head battle with Texas A&M, even though the Aggies landed a five-star QB of their own (Kyle Allen) in the previous recruiting cycle. Texas' QB situation is an absolute dumpster fire. Murray could've been the uncontested Day 1 starter there. That miss is likely going to cost Strong his job in the not-so-distant future because of putrid QB play from Swoopes.

Strong hiring Watson as his OC in the first place combined with his inability to land Murray raise huge red flags. Without Teddy and Parker, he's showing he has no clue how to coach or recruit offense.

I still don't know what to think of Strong as an HC especially on offense. Once Bridgewater came and matured, he did amazing things (Heisman). Was it because of Strong? Was it because of Bridgewater? Was it a combination of the two? Having a special player (Bridgewater) can really make it easy for a coach with flaws.

I am not sold on Strong unless he can do it again. If he does do it again, we're not getting him as Texas will keep him. If he peaks at 8-9 wins at Texas, do you want him at UM?

Advertisement
I think he was a lame duck coach from the start. If he succeeded, great. If not, Texas can always claim they hired a black coach.

My point is I don't think they ever really wanted to hire a black head coach. But, at the time, strong couldn't be ignored and was deserving. I'm saying he won't get the time or chance others probably would.

My point is I don't think they ever really wanted to hire a black head coach. But, at the time, strong couldn't be ignored and was deserving. I'm saying he won't get the time or chance others probably would.

Then why did they hire a black coach?

Advertisement
B/c at the time he was deserving and couldn't be ignored, probably the best candidate and if they passed him up there would be public outcry about.
I'm just saying he probably won't get a fair shake, that's all.

ill say it again recruiting is whats killing him he's not gonna be able to get the players to turn it around esp on offense

a&m, baylor, & tcu take all the guys ut used to have commited by the time their senior yrs even started

not to mention all of strong's recruiting connections are in fla which is pretty far from tx he just walked into a bad situation he would kill it at miami tho

Last edited:
a&m, baylor, & tcu take all the guys ut used to have commited by the time their senior yrs even started

Which is exactly why Herman or Morris will leave the state when the opportunity presents itself IF Strong gets things figured out.

Competing for the 5th spot in the state is a losing proposition for any coach with aspirations.

And if Strong fails, Texas will have their pick of Herman or Morris, provided they prove to be competent.

Advertisement
strips OC of play calling duties and hands them off to new guy on staff after 38-3 loss to ND. Have mixed emotions about it but there is a head coach with balls that isn't satisfied with losing and takes action. Meanwhile, we hear about clouds, wind, night games, etc. Texas administration also puts a boat load of pressure to win which we don't have at Miami and why you see changes being made by Strong. The guy that he stripped from play calling was his boy at Louisville with him....sound familiar?

Boosters.......million $$$$$ boosters who hate the site of him and his hiring but they have always called the shots at Texas and hence only winning one ship with the most money/ top facilities and hot bed of recruits. Texas coaches are puppets

I've seen certain posters in other threads talk about wanting Strong to be Golden's successor. But the OC he just demoted (Shawn Watson) was hired to install an up-tempo spread, even though his entire coaching background revolved around running a methodical West Coast pro-style offense. It was considered a bizarre, out-of-nowhere hire and it obviously looks even more harebrained now.

Not to mention that Strong failed to land in-state five-star QB Kyler Murray in a head-to-head battle with Texas A&M, even though the Aggies landed a five-star QB of their own (Kyle Allen) in the previous recruiting cycle. Texas' QB situation is an absolute dumpster fire. Murray could've been the uncontested Day 1 starter there. That miss is likely going to cost Strong his job in the not-so-distant future because of putrid QB play from Swoopes.

Strong hiring Watson as his OC in the first place combined with his inability to land Murray raise huge red flags. Without Teddy and Parker, he's showing he has no clue how to coach or recruit offense.

I still don't know what to think of Strong as an HC especially on offense. Once Bridgewater came and matured, he did amazing things (Heisman). Was it because of Strong? Was it because of Bridgewater? Was it a combination of the two? Having a special player (Bridgewater) can really make it easy for a coach with flaws.

I am not sold on Strong unless he can do it again. If he does do it again, we're not getting him as Texas will keep him. If he peaks at 8-9 wins at Texas, do you want him at UM?
Agree. I think he would do great at Miami but if he can't right the ship at Texas it would make it a much more risky hire if we pick him up. I think Miami is a better for him than is Texas.

Didnt mean to down vote your post. Bring back the reps.

Boosters.......million $$$$$ boosters who hate the site of him and his hiring but they have always called the shots at Texas and hence only winning one ship with the most money/ top facilities and hot bed of recruits. Texas coaches are puppets
There seems to be something inherently wrong at Texas. Don't know what it is but they are the most underachieving program in the country and it ain't close. Georgia comes second but Texas should be a perennial top 5 program. They need a coach with the cache of Nick Saban to fight off those boosters if they really are a part of the problem.

Advertisement

There seems to be something inherently wrong at Texas. Don't know what it is but they are the most underachieving program in the country and it ain't close. Georgia comes second but Texas should be a perennial top 5 program. They need a coach with the cache of Nick Saban to fight off those boosters if they really are a part of the problem.

You nailed it...mark Richt was hand picked as well.....how many times as he even won the SEC east?? 3 or 4 times a couple of ties he has not played in a BCS bowl since 07 yet safe as a baby with his momma... The Boosters love him and have tons of power, UGh the dog gets more respect at times

Agree. I think he would do great at Miami but if he can't right the ship at Texas it would make it a much more risky hire if we pick him up. I think Miami is a better for him than is Texas.

Didnt mean to down vote your post. Bring back the reps.

If he can't do it at Texas, why would he do it at Miami? I don't get how it would make sense here.

Strong is missing his So. Fla. bag man (C. Hurtt). Throw in the fact that he is without a good QB, which means he's just like most coaches without a QB. Up **** Creek, without a paddle.

I'd take Strong in a second. There is no rebuild here. I think he would put Miami back on the map immediately. Just curious to those who are against Strong, why?

Advertisement
Back