Charlie Strong

All the pressure in the world hasn't made texas good in 10+ years....playcalling change now isn't going to help and it's pretty obvious Strong can't recruit without his bag boy cling hurt. Dude can't even put a decent class together at Texas with unlimited resources.

That IS kinda telling. It doesn't help that while UT has been crapping the bed the past few years, schools like TCU and Texas A&M have REALLY stepped it up and made themselves the feature school in that area.

Advertisement
Charlie strongs recruiting class this year is trash to top it off. He continues to get blown out by 20 points a game like last year i would be shocked if he returns for year 3. The offense and defense both look lost out there

Charlie Strong's players at Texas aren't winning life moments. He would buy some time for himself there if his players were winning life moments like our players are.

You can take time to get your own players AND still have a team that looks managed and organized with the players you have. That is supposed to be the definition of a good coach.

If Alfredo was a good coach, his players would know the plan and be in the right spot. Now, a player might get beat if he just doesn't have the talent, but at least he knows where to be. That's what makes Golden and D'onofrio failures, and that's the indictment against Strong. If you can't get the players you have to do what you ask them to do, then you aren't a good coach and the only thing that will bail you out is an overwhelming talent advantage.

Why did anyone ever think Charlie Strong was a great coach? He BARELY beat the teams in the Big East and in the AAC, and lost to Syracuse, Connecticut, and UCF with MUCH BETTER talent, including Teddy!

Surely no one ever thought that he was a great coach? It's like every broadcaster that has done a Miami game the last 4 years keeps saying, "He won at Temple, that's all you got to say." Well, if you take a look into what he did with his talent, it is not great! Much like how people wanted James Franklin when the guy simply can't coach.

Advertisement
First off, Texas has not had a QB since Colt and for them not to have recruited anyone even close in 6-7 years is amazing. The QB play was bad. Simple roll outs this kid they had was scared and was slow to process. They got behind and panicked and that is when this game really got out of hand. ND has a really good team this year. Funny how Brian Kelly can coach with a solid OL and a QB. He seems to suck bad when he does not. But He is not the subject.

One thing that I noticed and appreciated from Strong was on one particular bad run by a running back who was trying to score a TD the wrong way by running backwards trying to get away from everyone. Of course the farther he went back the more people chased and he was caught for a 10-12 yard loss. The kid did his normal pout and thrashing of hands in frustration and humiliation and tried to run off the field. Many coaches would have gotten angry at such a poor running decision and had the kid go to the bench. But Charlie met the kid at the Numbers and clamed him and had some words with the kid. Then sent him back on the field as he was not going to let the kid get away that easy.

Point is that Strong has a large teaching curve with these kids. He will need time to find a QB. If Texas sees some development then they need to stick with Strong. The guy and his staff had no ties to the Texas HS coaches. Baylor, TCU, TAM, heck even Texas Tech and SMU have better personal relationships and trust with Texas HS coaches which is stronger to break into than Cali or Florida coaches. If you got money and handlers you can break into florida. In Texas having money just brings you to the table at an IHOP. Texas coaches are a lot more united. Not that they all love each other but they seem to smell out the rats together for the sake of their kids. Strong has not had the time to break into this Texas HS fraternity. It they have decided that he never will then cut bait and let Strong go back to the SEC/ACC.

people think golden is on a hot seat now. If strong has another loss or two like that, he’s gone. He did this to save his job

it would be madness to fire a guy before the end of his second season. **** it would be pretty dumb not give strong at least 3 years

Texas won't have a problem attracting candidates, but they have to let the coaches get their feet wet

texas a&m gets all the players in texas now strong's recruiting connections are in fla/the southeast not the southwest this **** was doomed from the start

even the defensive guys are going to a&m over texas

and the offensive talent is choosing a&m, baylor, and tcu over texas

recruiting will bury strong in the end a&m proudly pronounces every chance they get they "own the state" now

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am not big Strong fan but we do owe TX for the Thill Hill thing in the tunnel. How about we swap coaches, HC, DC, and throw in our OC for free. We could sweeten the pot some with AD and Spanish speaking President too.

Why did anyone ever think Charlie Strong was a great coach?

It's the Turner Gill effect. The media wants so badly to have a successful black coach to write about that they exaggerate his accomplishments.
I disagree. Strong earned the shot at Texas, IMO. Turner Gill not so much. And to be fair, Kansas would have hired almost anyone. I mean they even hired fat Charlie Weiss and he's the biggest fraud in coaching based on results.

Advertisement
people think golden is on a hot seat now. If strong has another loss or two like that, he’s gone. He did this to save his job

it would be madness to fire a guy before the end of his second season. **** it would be pretty dumb not give strong at least 3 years

Texas won't have a problem attracting candidates, but they have to let the coaches get their feet wet

I certainly ageee with you. They shouldn't fire him be before the second season. It wouldn't make and sense.and they most likely won't. But that being said, it's Texas and many of those boosters didn't want him there to begin with. I'm just saying if it were ever to happen at a school I would understand it being Texas. I don't think it

I mean what coach strips their offensive coordinator of play calling after one game (against a top 10 team). Maybe others have but none that come to mind for me. In my opinion whether it was for me his job or just to quiet critics it seems like there was outside motivation for that

Where is a link to an article about majority of boosters not wanting Strong

I certainly ageee with you. They shouldn't fire him be before the second season. It wouldn't make and sense.and they most likely won't. But that being said, it's Texas and many of those boosters didn't want him there to begin with. I'm just saying if it were ever to happen at a school I would understand it being Texas. I don't think it

I mean what coach strips their offensive coordinator of play calling after one game (against a top 10 team). Maybe others have but none that come to mind for me. In my opinion whether it was for me his job or just to quiet critics it seems like there was outside motivation for that

Fair enough. I was wrong. I was referring to red McCombs (the ignorant booster who did hate the hire) and went public about it (who has donated 110 million to the university and I'm sure has no problem buying out the contract.) I'm sure however after this last performance he has some company. Just like this board and most canes fan gave up on golden during that notre dame game

The point of the statement was obvious though. there is a lot of pressure on him. Everyone knows Texas is one of the hardest jobs in the nation. If strong doesn't get hit **** together he will be gone.

No link. It's common knowledge. Has been stated on their boards, ESPN, you name it.

Advertisement

I think Texas already sees the error in their hire. No idea why they went after Strong and why he left Louisville. He's not a championship caliber coach, not sure why he gets so much love on these boards.

You'll see that on these boards all the time. They see one coach have one really good year, or a Coordinator have a really good year - and suddenly they're the Superman we need here -

They don't realize that there must be a body of work to examine. We've gone through THREE flashes - with no significant body of work.

Bring Back Butch.

It's the Turner Gill effect. The media wants so badly to have a successful black coach to write about that they exaggerate his accomplishments.

What kind of racial comment is this? So uninformed. As if a black HC hasn't been successful. Exaggerate their accomplishments? You need to pay attention Rush Limbaugh. Dude lost 2 games in two years at UL with the state of Florida cast offs and cast offs from other schools. He developed a dominant defense and stellar offense. He walked into a dead program starting a walk on at UL. It's amazing how some of you can easily write off a guy who has accomplished a level of success in his career. UT has been a dumpster fire since 2012. Strong will get it right. He hasn't even played a quarter of his second season yet.

Last edited:

What kind of racial comment is this? So uninformed. As if a black HC hasn't been successful. Exaggerate their accomplishments? You need to pay attention Rush Limbaugh. Dude lost 2 games in two years at UL with the state of Florida cast offs and cast offs from other schools. He developed a dominant defense and stellar offense. He walked into a dead program starting a walk on at UL. It's amazing how some of you can easily write off a guy who has accomplished a level of success in his career. UT has been a dumpster fire since 2012. Strong will get it right. He hasn't even played a quarter of his second season yet.

Racism would be instituting the rooney rule into college. It's true black head coaching hires get and extra press bump because of rules like this and the other side is always waiting to make a mockery of it.

Advocates ask Pac-12 to consider 'Rooney Rule' for college athletics

I've seen certain posters in other threads talk about wanting Strong to be Golden's successor. But the OC he just demoted (Shawn Watson) was hired to install an up-tempo spread, even though his entire coaching background revolved around running a methodical West Coast pro-style offense. It was considered a bizarre, out-of-nowhere hire and it obviously looks even more harebrained now.

Not to mention that Strong failed to land in-state five-star QB Kyler Murray in a head-to-head battle with Texas A&M, even though the Aggies landed a five-star QB of their own (Kyle Allen) in the previous recruiting cycle. Texas' QB situation is an absolute dumpster fire. Murray could've been the uncontested Day 1 starter there. That miss is likely going to cost Strong his job in the not-so-distant future because of putrid QB play from Swoopes.

Strong hiring Watson as his OC in the first place combined with his inability to land Murray raise huge red flags. Without Teddy and Parker, he's showing he has no clue how to coach or recruit offense.

Advertisement
Back