Charlie Strong

I can't see Strong leaving Texas after year 2 unless they have a very bad year this year. The Texas booster's don't like him because the he wasn't a household name, but winning cures all. I don't think he will leave Texas anytime soon with all the resources he has there. I got blasted for bringing up Gary Patterson before on this board, but if we really went after him with a good pitch I think he would take a good look at us. Patterson in South Florida with the way he develops talent would be a home run hire for us IMO. Patterson has to be #1 on the next coach list to me.

Advertisement
End of the day Butch Davis is the most known commodity in these parts. Unless u are getting saban or meyer. its Butch.

Charlie strong is going to do very well at Texas. He's not going anywhere. In 2 years he will be winning the Big12 IMO.

well one thing about charlie strongs success at louisville. the year randy shannon got fired, he flipped alot of those kids. his success was built around that class. i dont think he was going to maintain that high level for too much longer. he knew it and cashed in.

Yeah cause most coaches would not of jumped shipped when Texas came calling.

I can't see Strong leaving Texas after year 2 unless they have a very bad year this year. The Texas booster's don't like him because the he wasn't a household name, but winning cures all. I don't think he will leave Texas anytime soon with all the resources he has there. I got blasted for bringing up Gary Patterson before on this board, but if we really went after him with a good pitch I think he would take a good look at us. Patterson in South Florida with the way he develops talent would be a home run hire for us IMO. Patterson has to be #1 on the next coach list to me.
Patterson would be first on my list but it's a pipe dream. If Fuente does well this season I would take him as he's a Patterson disciple

Advertisement
well one thing about charlie strongs success at louisville. the year randy shannon got fired, he flipped alot of those kids. his success was built around that class. i dont think he was going to maintain that high level for too much longer. he knew it and cashed in.

Yeah cause most coaches would not of jumped shipped when Texas came calling.

my response was to the person who said he should have stayed at lousiville. i was making a comment about the logic behind his move.

Our only hope with Patterson is that TCU gets passed over and shafted by the playoff committee again this season. At that point he may realize that TCU will always be at a disadvantage compared to other schools.

For some reason I could see Gary Patterson as the next coach at Bama if/when Nick Saban leaves in a few years. I know most people are thinking Kirby Smart, but I honestly think he's waiting on the UGA HC position to open up.

I don't see him going anywhere. That being said, he would be an unbelievable choice to coach at the U. He understands the area, his players play mean, he's a hard a$$ and he's a winner. He would be a perfect fit.

Advertisement
Gary Patterson would never happen. We simply dont have the financial backing even with this addidas deal.

I cannot understand why everyone still wants to anoint this guy? He was pure mediocre before Teddy Bridgewater came around.
I like him, he seems like a really good stand-up guy, but I'm not sold on his ability to coach. He gets a few years IMO.

and don't give me that " well he recruited Teddy" the kid fell in his lap because of the Shannon issue. He was also lightning in a bottle, L'ville could have gone much farther had they more accomplished athletes.

I cannot understand why everyone still wants to anoint this guy? He was pure mediocre before Teddy Bridgewater came around.
I like him, he seems like a really good stand-up guy, but I'm not sold on his ability to coach. He gets a few years IMO.

and don't give me that " well he recruited Teddy" the kid fell in his lap because of the Shannon issue. He was also lightning in a bottle, L'ville could have gone much farther had they more accomplished athletes.

Going double digits two years in a row, with a BCS bowl win, all with athletes that aren't as "accomplished" seems like he did something right to me.

I don't think he is the next Urban Meyer or Nick Saban but I don't agree with your criticism.

edit: If the tables were turned and we had TB the whole time, do you think we would have replicated Louisville's success? (assuming we had our same roster and staff)

Last edited:
Advertisement

Going double digits two years in a row, with a BCS bowl win, all with athletes that aren't as "accomplished" seems like he did something right to me.

I don't think he is the next Urban Meyer or Nick Saban but I don't agree with your criticism.

edit: If the tables were turned and we had TB the whole time, do you think we would have replicated Louisville's success? (assuming we had our same roster and staff)

But that was with TB, and yes, that's why I called him "Lightning in a bottle" IMO TB was one of a rare breed of exceptional QB's like Winston. I really think TB made L'ville, not the other way around, that's why I question Strong, he's got no Teddy now, so we'll see.

He was 7-6 in his two season with out TB, his record speaks for itself.

He did turn around a Louisville team that had fallen off under Steve Kragthorpe. Before Teddy Bridgewater arrived was Charlie's first year and he went 7-6, not bad for a first year coach. The second year TB was made the starter after the 4th game (as a true freshman), and they again they went 7-6. The next two years after that they posted double digit wins, going 11-2 and 12-1. Not a bad record for a "pure mediocre guy." As for your argument that he was only good because of Teddy Bridgewater, what coach is successful without a top good qb (with the exception of maybe Urban Meyer, Nick Saban). This is especially the case when you're running a pro-style system, which I believe is what Louisville ran under strong. As good as the Seahawks and Pete Carroll are right now, he was mediocre before Russell Wilson arrived.

It's unfair to use Strong's first couple of years without a seasoned Teddy... After Petrino left that program was trashed. I think Strong won a bowl game with a walk-on qb... He also took all of our rejects and had an outstanding defense... I don't see him getting fired after 2 years but he needs to get some playmakers on offense asap... They have very little talent at the skill positions...

Advertisement

But that was with TB, and yes, that's why I called him "Lightning in a bottle" IMO TB was one of a rare breed of exceptional QB's like Winston. I really think TB made L'ville, not the other way around, that's why I question Strong, he's got no Teddy now, so we'll see.

What about the hypothetical? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming (based on your arguments) that you believe that TB would have carried Miami to the equivalent success?

Also, isn't it a little unfair to judge him solely based off of 2 seasons (his first two seasons at a school that is not historically known to be a football powerhouse)? Or does that only apply to Miami coaches?

Lastly, as a side question: With regard to your Jameis comment, are you implying that Jimbo Fisher is not a good football coach, who's success has been the product of Winston? Or were you strictly comparing TB vs. JW?

What about the hypothetical? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming (based on your arguments) that you believe that TB would have carried Miami to the equivalent success?

Also, isn't it a little unfair to judge him solely based off of 2 seasons (his first two seasons at a school that is not historically known to be a football powerhouse)? Or does that only apply to Miami coaches?

Lastly, as a side question: With regard to your Jameis comment, are you implying that Jimbo Fisher is not a good football coach, who's success has been the product of Winston? Or were you strictly comparing TB vs. JW?

I don't know that Miami would have had the same success with Teddy, but my bet is it would have been close. Imagine him with the receivers we had...yikes.
As for judging him, it is what it is, he's been the head guy four years and average for two of them.
Jimbo is good, but great remains to be seen, they lost some head scratching games until Winston stepped on campus, but it was more about the two QB's, both carried their program for two years.

How would you guys feel if we go after him as our next HC? I think that would be a slam dunk hire to us to be honest. I've read he's not 100% happy at Texas.

Never considered him, but he'd be the Perfect choice among all the previously mentioned candidates. Paid his dues, proven he can build a program (Louisville), makes good coaching hires, can develop talent, can recruit his *** off, has Florida and SE USA contacts and being an AA would pay dividends in especially in Miami/SoFl.

Now you got me wishing!

Advertisement
Back