Charlie Strong Top Candidate?

Advertisement
I would glady take strong before chud and Cristobal that's for sure. Chud is a great coach however he has been out of recruiting for far too long and he didn't like recruiting when he was a coach to begin with in college. Cristobal is not that good of a coach and let's face it, is he that good of a recruiter? How much does him being at bama play a role in his "recruiting ability". No matter who you plug in there as an assistant coach you are going to get elite recruits because it's bama. Charlie strong offers another immense presence in south Florida,can be a father figure for many kids in the area, discipline all of those penalties he wouldn't have it, elite defenses like how Miami used to play. The offense will be very good because of the caliber of players we have on that side of the ball. Offensive coordinators would be lining up to run this offense with these players or we can't just keep coley. He is definitely after my most wanted coach which is a tie in tom herman/ Butch davis. Leaning towards Herman though, he is a mastermind with offense

Texas' horrific offense, putrid defense, and Strong's bungling of their OC situation are red flags that are too glaring to overlook. Forget whether he's respected locally or any South Florida recruiting ties on which far too heavy an emphasis is being placed by his supporters. Texas' current class is a dumpster fire in his second year because their on-field results are unacceptable.

Forget how he'd move the needle in South Florida for 5 minutes and realize how that doesn't matter at all. Commentary should be muted in favor of the Benny Hill theme when Texas' offense is on the field and they had 5 losses by the end of October in his second year. Some have skewed perspectives of Strong based on watching him curb stomp an Al Golden-coached Miami team twice.

Would be an interesting hire. South Florida kids would flock here. This man offers the kids we scream for our staff to offer.

Getting shut out by Iowa State is inexplicable. I dgaf how bare the cupboard is.

All of these "he's not a fit at Texas but he would be at Miami" guys have no explanation for Iowa State. You can't get destroyed by one of the worst teams in FBS in your second year as the HC of Texas. It's inexcusable and should be a Texas sized red flag to anyone still pimping *******.
It mostly the "recruiter" nerds.

Strong has this mystic ability to "recruit" (like Wario)

It's not his ability to recruit. It's his ability to evaluate. Closest I've seen to Butch. Louisville has put 14 players in the pros the last two years. And they aren't big recruits.

DeVante Parker- 3*
Calvin Pryor- 3*
Preston Brown- 3*
Marcus Smith- 3*
Lorenzo Maudlin- 3*
John Miller- 3*
Jamon Brown- 3*
Charles Gaines - 3*
Bryant Dubose- 3*

The fit issues are real at Texas. The majority of the fanbase and boosters were against him from the start, he had no experience recruiting those areas, and he inherited a Cokerized team with no talent. And for all of its hype as a "football power," Texas has been the most overrated, underachieving program in the country for the decades.

Strong would do great here and he is on my short list right under Butch and Herman.

Advertisement
Would be an interesting hire. South Florida kids would flock here. This man offers the kids we scream for our staff to offer.

Texas' current class ranking in Charlie Strong's second year: 54th

South Florida recruiting ties don't help you land great classes when your on-field results are this disastrous. There isn't a single great recruiter on the planet when you lose 5 games by the end of October in your second year at a big time program. The greatest recruiting pitch is winning, not relationships.

Getting shut out by Iowa State is inexplicable. I dgaf how bare the cupboard is.

All of these "he's not a fit at Texas but he would be at Miami" guys have no explanation for Iowa State. You can't get destroyed by one of the worst teams in FBS in your second year as the HC of Texas. It's inexcusable and should be a Texas sized red flag to anyone still pimping *******.

It's not his ability to recruit. It's his ability to evaluate. Closest I've seen to Butch. Louisville has put 14 players in the pros the last two years. And they aren't big recruits.

DeVante Parker- 3*
Calvin Pryor- 3*
Preston Brown- 3*
Marcus Smith- 3*
Lorenzo Maudlin- 3*
John Miller- 3*
Jamon Brown- 3*
Charles Gaines - 3*
Bryant Dubose- 3*

The fit issues are real at Texas. The majority of the fanbase and boosters were against him from the start, he had no experience recruiting those areas, and he inherited a Cokerized team with no talent. And for all of its hype as a "football power," Texas has been the most overrated, underachieving program in the country for the decades.

Strong would do great here and he is on my short list right under Butch and Herman.

those are definitely my top three choices as well

things are looking good

For Lord's sake people what's with someone being a GREAT recruiter. Asst coaches can also recruit....Just win & the recruits will come. This is NOT the main reason to select a HC. Golden was pretty good recruiter too & we all know how that ended. Last thing we need is a recruiter that can't coach them up. UM has been there, done that.

Advertisement

DeVante Parker- 3*
Calvin Pryor- 3*
Preston Brown- 3*
Marcus Smith- 3*
Lorenzo Maudlin- 3*
John Miller- 3*
Jamon Brown- 3*
Charles Gaines - 3*
Bryant Dubose- 3*

We think alike on this one same as I posted a few posts above

I am pretty sure anyone who supports Strong is at least 1 of the following:

A. All-Star Heel Digger who is incapable of seeing the last 2 years, or

B. Potato

What else do you want to see from Strong? This week is Kansas, surely he can't lose to Kansas.

For Lord's sake people what's with someone being a GREAT recruiter. Asst coaches can also recruit....Just win & the recruits will come. This is NOT the main reason to select a HC. Golden was pretty good recruiter too & we all know how that ended. Last thing we need is a recruiter that can't coach them up. UM has been there, done that.

Narrow minded thinking.

Charlie strong can recruit Florida that's all I know..., not sure what's going on at Texas. It's just a bad fit there and he needs to get out asap. Charlie strong definitely can develop talent as well

Advertisement

Somehow they beat OU with that same team.

Which makes the ISU loss more damning.

DeVante Parker- 3*
Calvin Pryor- 3*
Preston Brown- 3*
Marcus Smith- 3*
Lorenzo Maudlin- 3*
John Miller- 3*
Jamon Brown- 3*
Charles Gaines - 3*
Bryant Dubose- 3*

I agree with most of your comments [MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION], but my biggest concern is that he's completely inept when it comes to offense. We would have to get a very good OC to round out the staff. That being said, the argument that he hasn't succeeded at UT because it's a bad fit is 100% accurate. My college roommate is a huge UT guy, and he says that the big boys over at UT have made Strong's life pretty impossible. Also, Texas high school coaches haven't been too welcoming.

I know he did well during his brief stint at Louisville, but I worry he's another Shannon--good coordinator, good recruiter, poor head coach.

Why has he struggled so mightily at Texas? What makes him such a "bad fit" there?

Advertisement

DeVante Parker- 3*
Calvin Pryor- 3*
Preston Brown- 3*
Marcus Smith- 3*
Lorenzo Maudlin- 3*
John Miller- 3*
Jamon Brown- 3*
Charles Gaines - 3*
Bryant Dubose- 3*

Agree with this.

His eye for talent is legit as is his player development. I see him in the Butch mold, Butch lite. Strong brings a lot of similarities to what Butch does. He may not be as good as Butch in terms of talent evaluation but he's from the same mold IMO.

Hes not my first choice or even in my top 5 but he would be better than Mario, Chud, Schiano, which isn't saying much

I know he did well during his brief stint at Louisville, but I worry he's another Shannon--good coordinator, good recruiter, poor head coach.

Why has he struggled so mightily at Texas? What makes him such a "bad fit" there?
Over the years they have recruited poorly on offense and lot of times with Texas recruits the players are maxed out coming out of highschool. Look how many 5 stars they have had over the years on offense that haven't made the impact they were supposed. For an example Jonathan gray who was in the under armour game with Duke Johnson touted as
The best back in the nation. He hasn't done anything of note in his time there. Malcolm brown another 5 star running back they have had hasn't done anything.

If Strong continues to flame out at Texas, he might very well be fired after the season. If that happens, I'd be interested in him as DC - not a HBC.

Guys who completely flame out as HCs and get fired very rarely get HC gigs right after. Look at guys like Chizik, Muschamp, Kiffin, (soon to be) Sark, et al - they all got canned and could only muster coordinator jobs right after.

Somehow they beat OU with that same team.

Which makes the ISU loss more damning.

It also makes what people say crap.

Advertisement
Back