Charlie Strong is an analyst at Bama

Advertisement
Louisville, nobody seems to be able to have a good D in Texas or the Big 12 and USF is in another conference that plays zero D. Strong would be a wise choice. He would have the same type of talent here that he had when he was at UF.

UF was a model for what Miami should do offensively and defensively dating back to the 2005 Urban Meyer/Charlie Strong days when they were winning championships. Charlie changes his fronts, blitzes and coverages real well.

Now if you asked me if Charlie was my first choice I would adamantly say no. Leonhart at Wisconsin would be #1 on my list. He runs the same D Dave Aranda did. An attacking style 3-4 like the Dolphins/Wisconsin runs

The games changed since his days at Florida. Coaches are having to adapt their schemes yearly.

I haven't seen anything from Strong the last decade that leads me to believe his defense is up to date. And with all do respect, I don't get all warm and fuzzy telling myself "nobody seems to be able to have a good d at Texas". If you're a good coach, and you're given all the resources in the world your d should be good to go.

Louisville, nobody seems to be able to have a good D in Texas or the Big 12 and USF is in another conference that plays zero D. Strong would be a wise choice. He would have the same type of talent here that he had when he was at UF.

UF was a model for what Miami should do offensively and defensively dating back to the 2005 Urban Meyer/Charlie Strong days when they were winning championships. Charlie changes his fronts, blitzes and coverages real well.

Now if you asked me if Charlie was my first choice I would adamantly say no. Leonhart at Wisconsin would be #1 on my list. He runs the same D Dave Aranda did. An attacking style 3-4 like the Dolphins/Wisconsin runs
Nope different personnel required.

He would challenge Manny too much. I don't see it happening. Manny has a lot of Ego when it comes to the defensive side of the ball.

Yes as a DC. The last sample we got of him as a DC was over a decade ago.

His defenses as a HC at his last 2 stops were dog ****
The issue with Strong would be scheme. I think staying 4-2-5 as the base is fine against today's spread. It is coverages and pre-snap looks and alignment and prep that is embarrassingly bad. Saban has made a career of retreading former HCs as coordinators and position coaches.

Advertisement
Strong doesnt run a 3-4 but it would fit the players we have. Strong runs a 3-3-5

Yeah, the guy doesn't even know what D he runs.

Other than that, a lot of people don't know that there is a HUMONGOUS difference in an aggressive 3-4 vs a passive 3-4 like Golden/NoD ran.

Leonhart from Wisconsin would be my #1 choice but he may want to stay in Wisconsin and he makes close to 1M a year.

Advertisement
He would challenge Manny too much. I don't see it happening. Manny has a lot of Ego when it comes to the defensive side of the ball.
Manny is willing to adapt to whatever works. But the feeing is that we’re not in a location to recruit what it’s going to take to create a dominant 3 man front on defense. They have a lot more confidence in their ability to recruit to a 4 man front. Makes sense to me.

3/4, 4/3, 3/3/5 is not the issue though.

*IF* Strong would come here as a co-dc and coach our secondary I’d be all for it. I think he’s got some good concepts that would be beneficial for us. But he hasn’t called plays as a DC since when? 2008 or 2009?

Advertisement
Manny is willing to adapt to whatever works. But the feeing is that we’re not in a location to recruit what it’s going to take to create a dominant 3 man front on defense. They have a lot more confidence in their ability to recruit to a 4 man front. Makes sense to me.

agreed offensively. But Manny on defense comes across as a guy who thinks he's the smartest in the room. Look at our defensive staff. Who can over there can challenge him and it actually stick?

That’s exactly what I’m saying. Muschamp’s defenses at auburn were awful and he just fielded one of the 2-3 worst defenses in the FBS in year 4 as a HC at USCe... with multiple draft picks. Yet his name still comes up.

Strong’s defense declined every year he was at Texas and sucked *** at USF. This isn’t 2008. Charlie Strong is not a good choice.
I feel you

This statement regarding Manny being willing to do "whatever works" cannot be true if what you say is for real, in terms of Baker not going anywhere.

Advertisement
JJ was *** at Okie St. When he got to Miami, he became a legend.
SAY WHAT???? WELL THOT DONK MAKE ENY CENTS????....

Thank you for bringing this point out....cannot wait to see the responses.

Strong-Muschamp-LovieSmith...give me any of the 3 and the DEF is LEGIT top 15 without question...those guys are defensive gurus, some guys are just better coordinators than they are HCs....if anyone ACTUALLY thinks Saban of all ppl is going to bring in a "JAG" as an analyst in his program, that right there tells us all we need to know about ur football acumen...

agreed offensively. But Manny on defense comes across as a guy who thinks he's the smartest in the room. Look at our defensive staff. Who can over there can challenge him and it actually stick?
Thats the issue. They all see things the same way. He would change the defense though. I don’t think he saw the defense being the problem initially and over-valued camaraderie amongst he staff first and foremost and it didn’t work out that way.

Great camaraderie but no solutions. Changes are coming. We’ll at least gain 1 external guy that can have something to say. Hopefully 2. The only thing that could make it just 1 is putting DVD in the CB slot (hope not). I hope they scrap the CB/S split and have 1 secondary coach and then find somewhere else to plug an additional coach - DE coach or DT or something

Advertisement
Back