Charlie Strong is an analyst at Bama

Manny is not hiring a guy with more HC experience than him. That didn't work out too well for Weis and Muschamp.

As for hiring a guy with inside info on Saban, the idea has merit, but only really accounts for one game in which we could probably be holding Saban's playbook in hand and still get beat by his 2nd stringers.

Advertisement
I know most are looking for an established name, but for arguments sake, any idea if there are any Venables, Saban, tOSU, etc disciples (who are driven recruiters and talent evaluators too) on their respective staffs who are ready for prime-time?

Saban usually elevates his DCs and OCs when other schools poach his current ones. Gotta be someone on Venables staff who is ready.

What about Marcus Freeman from Cinci? Young and a Fickle disciple.

I know most are looking for an established name, but for arguments sake, any idea if there are any Venables, Saban, tOSU, etc disciples (who are driven recruiters and talent evaluators too) on their respective staffs who are ready for prime-time?

Saban usually elevates his DCs and OCs when other schools poach his current ones. Gotta be someone on Venables staff who is ready.

What about Marcus Freeman from Cinci? Young and a Fickle disciple.
Freeman would be a homerun hire, might be the best hire we could make.
I'm just wondering why Manny hasn't fired anyone yet, He fired Enos by noon the day after the bowl game.

Freeman would be a homerun hire, might be the best hire we could make.
I'm just wondering why Manny hasn't fired anyone yet, He fired Enos by noon the day after the bowl game.
They are probably waiting for Terrence Lewis

That’s exactly what I’m saying. Muschamp’s defenses at auburn were awful and he just fielded one of the 2-3 worst defenses in the FBS in year 4 as a HC at USCe... with multiple draft picks. Yet his name still comes up.

Strong’s defense declined every year he was at Texas and sucked *** at USF. This isn’t 2008. Charlie Strong is not a good choice.
This all-day

Advertisement
Manny is willing to adapt to whatever works. But the feeing is that we’re not in a location to recruit what it’s going to take to create a dominant 3 man front on defense. They have a lot more confidence in their ability to recruit to a 4 man front. Makes sense to me.

3/4, 4/3, 3/3/5 is not the issue though.
Most teams don't run a 3-4 defense even if that's what the depth chart shows. 3-4 defenses are running 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 with all the spread offenses being ran. I can't remember the last time I saw alabama or georgia run a traditional 3-4.

Charlie Strong is an analyst at Bama​

sounds like the title of a country song by Bubba Hump and the Tractor Boys

Most teams don't run a 3-4 defense even if that's what the depth chart shows. 3-4 defenses are running 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 with all the spread offenses being ran. I can't remember the last time I saw alabama or georgia run a traditional 3-4.
Ya I mean they 2 gap their DL and have a Buck which is your stand up edge rusher that is considered a LB.

Then you have your 2 ILBs and a Star which is basically our striker position except probably more in the S/CB hybrid mold.

I would say Manny always sticks to that 1 Gap front whatever alignment we run. Understandable because we aren’t in a location to recruit war daddies up front that can 2 gap... or enough of them.

Ya I mean they 2 gap their DL and have a Buck which is your stand up edge rusher that is considered a LB.

Then you have your 2 ILBs and a Star which is basically our striker position except probably more in the S/CB hybrid mold.

I would say Manny always sticks to that 1 Gap front whatever alignment we run. Understandable because we aren’t in a location to recruit war daddies up front that can 2 gap... or enough of them.
Sometimes they run two olbs and two dts but the olbs have their hand in the ground. Yeah I don't think two gap will work here

Advertisement
1609528024998.png

Advertisement
Back