Character

Advertisement
LOL, and how many years in a row have we said that...

I've literally never said that. LOL
But I get your point.
We've signed good kids like that every year from winning programs with dads who coached. Once they get here, they get swallowed up by the guys who don't care. A few good kids alone won't change this culture as long as the HC isn't a leader. That's been proven here over the last 15+ years.

It all starts at the top. The HC can use those good kids as his top soldiers to set the tone and help get buy in.

I don't disagree with that.

When I watched “89 Blocks” … I was absolutely scared for what might happen to Jeff. I still am.

we often get ****ed at parents for wanting their kids to get out of Miami … and I hoped Miami could be the right place for a kid like Jeff (even when I thought it couldn’t be). Champagne, IL … too close to East Saint Louis; Jeff would’ve been a nightmare there too.

I hope Jeff Thomas’ career/life doesn’t turn into the end of “The Wire”

He has to get professional help. That’s not a knock on the kid. Snowflake folks - professionals - from the burbs seek help for experiences that are far less traumatic than what happens in East Saint Louis.

Character matters. Our top three character guys were our first three picks this weekend. Jeff Thomas and Trevon Hill still haven’t found a team.

We were excited at the time, but in retrospect, the culture was poisoned when Manny did the following:

1) Convinced Jarren to stay;
2) Signed an OC with the idea that he would “fix” Jarren and the other QBs;
3) Begged Jeff to come back;
4) Signed Hill after he got kicked out of another program;
5) Signed Tate after he quit another program; and
5) Tweet bragged about all of the above.

We need to learn our lesson going forward. There are no short-cuts. The only way to build a culture is to be careful and consistent about who you let in the building. That is the secret at Clemson.

Seeing as Miami was coming off a 7-6 year, the culture was poisoned before Diaz. Other than Hill, All of the above were on the offensive side of the ball. I don't recall Hill being a low character guy- he didnt live up to expectations but I fail to see how that reflects on his character. How many "low character" kids were on defense?

There were a good amount of our fan base that were ecstatic to see JT4. Most blamed Richt and the offense for his troubles. Let’s not act like Manny bringing JT4 was going against the fan base.

Let's not act like I said him bringing JT4 back was going against the fan base. I specifically said it sent us MIXED signals. Why? B/c Manny perpetuated the idea the Richt and his whole offensive of the ball was the problem. Again, MANNY HAS BEEN HERE FOR 4 YEARS. He knew what was up in the locker room. So this has nothing to do w/ the fan base v. a man who's supposed to be a leader of that locker room he was already familiar w/. So I can't respect him trying to call out the teams efforts when he contributed to said efforts by his off-season and in-season antics.

Advertisement
There’s a saying, “…monkeys know which trees to climb”.

Jarren nor JT would have tried that at a bunch of schools with strong top-down leadership. a Dog trainer once told me that certain dog breeds (he was referencing Dobermans) require that you be the Alpha at all times, otherwise THEY will assume the Alpha role and they’ll “turn on you”.

I read on these boards a lot about “canes back in the day” not tolerating certain things without knowledge of who those guys were. 30 for 30 was sanitized compared to who those guys really were. Michael Irvin is one of my favorite Canes ever, but … if Jimmy wasn’t a STRONGER personality, he might’ve been worse than JT. Brian Blades? it took a very skilled manager (and likely an extremely talented team) to keep these egos in check.

Good leaders stamp out things before they can even be attempted.

Exactly. Presa Canarios know who’s holding the leash. They respond accordingly.

Agree... but the best leaders have the ability to take ****heads under their wing and get the best out of them. Not all kids can be saved, but during my 13 years I've seen plenty of bad apples get mind fvcked into buying in. Although college is different in the sense that you get to CHOOSE who's on your team via recruiting.
And I agree with you, that's a large portion of the battle.
I agree so much to this people can say what they want but talent always over weighs scheme. That's why some of the best programs are always top recruiters. But you have to find a way to get the most out of them your bad apple cant be the far and wide best player or else you give them all the leverage. Dont let your bad apples get the leverage.

Exactly.

UCF went from0-12 to 6-7, 12-0 under Frost with the same kids O’Leary couldn’t win with.
Urban Meyer went 12-0 at OSU with Luke Fickell’s 6-7 kids after Tressel resigned. Why’d they slip after Tressel and why’d they rise with Urban? Leadership.

Same for OU before Stoops. USC before Pete. Howard before everybody. But STILL, the most uninformed dumbasses on the planet will scream to the hills about it being all about the talent and their inability to push/develop themselves.

“Yeah.. but the previous guy left a ton of talent. “

“Yeah which he couldn’t manage, motivate, develop or win with due to his **** poor HC and leadership skills.. Space Cadet.”

Last edited:
Advertisement
There were a good amount of our fan base that were ecstatic to see JT4. Most blamed Richt and the offense for his troubles. Let’s not act like Manny bringing JT4 was going against the fan base.

You’re 100% right. But successful leaders don’t give a shlt what the fan base thinks. They never have.

Would have to be a real loser take advice from the fan base. I can’t imagine someone reading this site and taking their coaching cues from us. You either have the right vision for what your team should be, what your leadership style is, or you are a vacillating doofus.

[

I’ve already said Zook couldn’t coach and was only an elite recruiter , I’m pretty sure I’ve actually said that multiple times in this thread.

That team was loaded with talent ,urban just brings top shelf assistants and a winning culture. That’s what all great coaches do. But culture is worthless with a bunch of two stars.

Cribby, u know u're my brotha from anotha motha....but I gotta disagree w/ you.

TCU consistently wins with a bunch of 2 stars
UVA just won this yr w/ a bunch of 2 stars
OsU wins with a bunch of 2 stars
Wisconsin wins with a bunch of 2 stars

Culture matters bro. Kids can be coached up, schemes put in place. Stars for sure matter, but being that we've had the number 1 ranked class in the Coastal by a wide margin **** near every yr, and have 1 title to show for it, shows culture matters.

See this guy gets it.

BUT

This is why Manny's leadership needs to come in to question: As I've stated many times, Manny has BEEN here. He may be a 1st yr coach, but he's been our DC. He knows intimately the going-ons in the locker room. So if he knew JT4 was a problem, why beg him back? If he knew JW15 was a puss, why convince him not to transfer? See, this all sends a mix signal to our fan base. A leader would've never allowed these "cancers" to infiltrate the locker room, AGAIN, when he was aware of their character issues. So it may very well be that JT would've been a headache anywhere he went, and he's uncoachable, but the fact that Manny was already familiar w/ this and invited him back shows a lack of leadership.
Actually the team was pretty divided. Richt never cared about defense but he would not let manny take certain kids. Also kool has free reign

We've signed good kids like that every year from winning programs with dads who coached. Once they get here, they get swallowed up by the guys who don't care. A few good kids alone won't change this culture as long as the HC isn't a leader. That's been proven here over the last 15+ years.

It all starts at the top. The HC can use those good kids as his top soldiers to set the tone and help get buy in.
[/QUOTE

QB’s, LB’s, OL, S are leadership positions. These are positions that we really need to keep the skill set and character traits high. A QB with great talent and high character will make his Wr’s and overall offense better. A great LB who performs at a high level and with great character will lead the defense. Same with OL and S. Lets test this.

QB -Brad Kaaya. Probably a good leader in sense of character but had major flaws as a QB which affected his performance (in big games). When things got tense and pressure was on his lack of athleticism made him a liability which negatively affected his leadership. Teammates don’t buy in when their QB can’t make things happen in big spots

LB -Shaq. Just like Kaaya. A great character guy but flawed athletically and skills-set which affected his performance. It is difficult for others talented LB’s (who require the leadership) to play at a higher level when they don’t see it from their leader.

OL - No one of note to choose from. This has been the major problem. Our recent top OL (since 2014) haven’t performed at a high level. Our best OL recruits (ratings wise) never lives up to their billing. There was never an example of how to play at a high level so how can any of our OL hold one another accountable. up how to play at a how level.

S. This goes without saying. When we have had good to great S in the defensive backfield, our DB play was great.

The flip side. Let’s take a guy like D. King. He comes with a lot of hype and numbers to back it up. When it’s time to perform, he lights it up and immediately demonstrates the skills and athleticism to back up all the hype. The team is immediately bought in. Our WR’s were probably running and working as hard as ever to ensure they have an opportunity to play with this guy. That is the kind of leadership we have been missing. Not the verbal rah rah type leadership that we have had but guys that play at a consistently high level and demands others to do the same.

Advertisement
Cribby, u know u're my brotha from anotha motha....but I gotta disagree w/ you.

TCU consistently wins with a bunch of 2 stars
UVA just won this yr w/ a bunch of 2 stars
OsU wins with a bunch of 2 stars
Wisconsin wins with a bunch of 2 stars

Culture matters bro. Kids can be coached up, schemes put in place. Stars for sure matter, but being that we've had the number 1 ranked class in the Coastal by a wide margin **** near every yr, and have 1 title to show for it, shows culture matters.

What do you consider winning ? 9-10 games here and there. I’m talking chips, conference and natties. This is Miami bro, talking 9-10 here and there doesn’t make my **** hard. You need top 10-15 classes to be in the big boy discussion.

As for scheme that’s true , to a degree. But now everyone is running the spread type concepts so that one advantage is isn’t as big as it once was.

Character matters, that’s why the Patriots chose a white supremacist punter.

The only characteristics that matter in football are talent and 🤐.

Don’t question **** and don’t rock the boat.

You’re 100% right. But successful leaders don’t give a shlt what the fan base thinks. They never have.

Would have to be a real loser take advice from the fan base. I can’t imagine someone reading this site and taking their coaching cues from us. You either have the right vision for what your team should be, what your leadership style is, or you are a vacillating doofus.

I for one wasn’t one of those who thought it was a good idea bringing JT4 back. I was crushed when I heard he was off the team but over time I realized that the kid just wasn’t worth the trouble. However, I suspect that Manny must have felt in some way that JT4 wasn’t managed properly under Richt and felt a change would enable them to bring out the best given the previous experience. Manny must have believed that he could manage him better. In the end, I do believe it was a mistake but, I don’t blame him for trying to improve the team by keeping the most talented WR in fold. If his decision to bring in JT4 makes him a bad leader, than a guy like Belichick is a bad leader as well because he has been bringing in reform projects for years. Some pan out and some didn’t. He was looking to give his team the beat chance to win. And he actually took JT4 to boot.

Advertisement
What do you consider winning ? 9-10 games here and there. I’m talking chips, conference and natties. This is Miami bro, talking 9-10 here and there doesn’t make my **** hard. You need top 10-15 classes to be in the big boy discussion.

As for scheme that’s true , to a degree. But now everyone is running the spread type concepts so that one advantage is isn’t as big as it once was.

Well, I agree; to get the chips, you need the players. My point is, who cares if you have the players when you don't have the culture? So I cited examples of programs who are at least relevant, w/o the fertile recruiting classes, yet they are vying for conference titles and relevant bowl games b/c of their culture. What would those programs do if they were recruiting in the top 10-15 classes v. top 30-40 classes? We should, at least, be vying for a ACCCG invite every year, at the least, based upon our talent compared to the rest of the Coastal, yet we look as if we're the team full of 2 stars every year. (see LA Tech, CMU, and FIU)

Advertisement
Back