Chantz Williams this season

Advertisement
Reading these comments, I think what some posters are forgetting is these young men played for a incompetent coaching staph and a ****** defensive scheme. I think the coaches failed the players. In my opinion the coaches are the disappointment. I think it will be evident in 2022 with the new coaching staff Mario has assembled so far.
Jaelan Phillips, Greg Rousseau, Quincy Roche, Jon Garvin, Joe Jackson, Chad Thomas, Trent Harris and Demetrius Jackson all had success here. Defensive end was one of the most productive positions here the last 5 years before 2021. All those guys could play despite terrible coaches in a terrible scheme. Like most positions on Manny’s defense, the production fell off a cliff when the talent levels dropped.

FSU absolutely wanted him and would have taken him 100.0%.

Don't believe most of what you read on this site. Actually, if you believe literally nothing you read on this site, you'll probably be better off.
He was a composite high four star and the 85th overall player in the nation. Only CIS retards would believe that nobody wanted him.

Id rather give most of the DE reps to Scott, Nyjalik and Cyrus Moss.

Scott Litch. / Elijah Rob. / Chantz

Nyjalik Kelly / Cyrus Moss / Harvey
The talent for Kelly & Moss is there but Kelly coming off injury & Moss being quite underweight may make early season contributions for both a bit too ambitious but if one of then were truly ready by September that'd be huge for us.

I didn’t see it with him last year. I hope he takes the next step this year but I didn’t see much fluidity at the position. Great effort though. Hips and bend need a lot of work

Advertisement
Jaelan Phillips, Greg Rousseau, Quincy Roche, Jon Garvin, Joe Jackson, Chad Thomas, Trent Harris and Demetrius Jackson all had success here. Defensive end was one of the most productive positions here the last 5 years before 2021. All those guys could play despite terrible coaches in a terrible scheme. Like most positions on Manny’s defense, the production fell off a cliff when the talent levels dropped.

Now Stroud and Jess are terrible coaches? Come on man. Let's be real here.

Also, if one thing Manny's defense *DOES* do, it's allow edge players to be successful. Your last piece is true, though. The talent level was not nearly as good in 2021 than it was in years past. There's probably a pretty good chance that dudes like C. Williams and Deandre Johnson simply aren't as good as the players you named. Especially considering every single one of those guys except DJ were or are cashing NFL checks.

Manny's problem, and the reason we're in the situation we're in, comes back once again to recruiting much more than coaching. The talent levels dropped, as you mentioned, due to poor evals and poor recruiting.

In 2018, we signed Greg and Patrick Joyner as the edge players. Both very unheralded players, one obvious hit and one massive miss. So we yielded one edge player in that class.

In 2019, we signed Harvey and Cam Williams. One decent player, a 4-star, and a complete bust. He knew he needed help, so he went to the portal and got Hill and Phillips. Phillips couldn't play until 2020, but Hill had to come in and contribute right away. Manny is treading water, at best, at this point, and likely drowning.

In 2020, he gets Chantz, who was very highly ranked but the jury is still out on, hence this thread. Elijah Roberts is a bit of a tweener but is best served inside. Quentin Williams signs, but leaves very quickly. So we have to dip into the portal again, and gets an NFL kid in Roche. See the pattern here? Not nearly enough quality talent being taken out of HS in these classes at a very important positon.

So we're screwed again for 2021, he knows he needs more help and it can't be from true freshmen, so he gets Deandre Johnson, who turns out to be an average player. In the HS class, he signs Jabari Ishmael, a decent prospect but one who needs a few years of development. Same with Thomas Davis.

This just simply isn't good enough from a recruiting perspective. He took 4 edge players from the portal in 3 classes. You're doing a poor job evaluating and signing high school kids if this is the case. In FOUR high school classes, he yielded Rousseau, Harvey, Chantz Williams, Jabari Ishmael and Thomas Davis. That is god awful.

The key to steeles defenses at auburn was interior push. He had horses there. If we don’t get any of that it may be a slow road. So while end is important to address I’m hoping Taylor and miller can break out

Now Stroud and Jess are terrible coaches? Come on man. Let's be real here.

Also, if one thing Manny's defense *DOES* do, it's allow edge players to be successful. Your last piece is true, though. The talent level was not nearly as good in 2021 than it was in years past. There's probably a pretty good chance that dudes like C. Williams and Deandre Johnson simply aren't as good as the players you named. Especially considering every single one of those guys except DJ were or are cashing NFL checks.

Manny's problem, and the reason we're in the situation we're in, comes back once again to recruiting much more than coaching. The talent levels dropped, as you mentioned, due to poor evals and poor recruiting.

In 2018, we signed Greg and Patrick Joyner as the edge players. Both very unheralded players, one obvious hit and one massive miss. So we yielded one edge player in that class.

In 2019, we signed Harvey and Cam Williams. One decent player, a 4-star, and a complete bust. He knew he needed help, so he went to the portal and got Hill and Phillips. Phillips couldn't play until 2020, but Hill had to come in and contribute right away. Manny is treading water, at best, at this point, and likely drowning.

In 2020, he gets Chantz, who was very highly ranked but the jury is still out on, hence this thread. Elijah Roberts is a bit of a tweener but is best served inside. Quentin Williams signs, but leaves very quickly. So we have to dip into the portal again, and gets an NFL kid in Roche. See the pattern here? Not nearly enough quality talent being taken out of HS in these classes at a very important positon.

So we're screwed again for 2021, he knows he needs more help and it can't be from true freshmen, so he gets Deandre Johnson, who turns out to be an average player. In the HS class, he signs Jabari Ishmael, a decent prospect but one who needs a few years of development. Same with Thomas Davis.

This just simply isn't good enough from a recruiting perspective. He took 4 edge players from the portal in 3 classes. You're doing a poor job evaluating and signing high school kids if this is the case. In FOUR high school classes, he yielded Rousseau, Harvey, Chantz Williams, Jabari Ishmael and Thomas Davis. That is god awful.
I was referring to the post I quoted who called the coaches incompetent. I just found it weird that “incompetent” coaches got so much production out of those guys but last year they just forgot how to coach.

The key to steeles defenses at auburn was interior push. He had horses there. If we don’t get any of that it may be a slow road. So while end is important to address I’m hoping Taylor and miller can break out

Advertisement
I was referring to the post I quoted who called the coaches incompetent. I just found it weird that “incompetent” coaches got so much production out of those guys but last year they just forgot how to coach.

Gotcha. Agreed.

Chantz is another guy who needs to take a step forward under the new staff. Last year was disappointing. He has always been a beast in the weight room and is already winning weekly awards this offseason. We need to get production out of a guy that big, fast and hard-working.

The best-case scenario comparison would be someone like Boye Mafe in Minnesota. Like Chantz, Mafe is raw and somewhat uncoordinated as a pass rusher and an edge-setter. He didn't do much his first two years, but got progressively better and emerged as a first-round prospect as a senior. Look at their high school numbers:

Chantz Williams- 6'3.5, 215, 4.56 forty, 4.49 shuttle, 35.9 inch vert
Boye Mafe- 6'3, 218, 4.95 forty, 4.75 shuttle, 32.2 vert

Like anything else in Manny's defense, if it was physiological skill needed- you made the play. 3rd and long 5-7 step pass drop. Simple IZ blocking. Chasing down a screen from behind.

As soon as the player needed technical, tactical or psychological skill it was over before it started. ie. Counter / any kick outs, read options coming to you where you're read vs away.

The All-22 EZ cut of the defense the last two years is very telling. You can actually watch the defenders' eyes and see that no one is home.

This staff needs to work on visual-cognitive skills during S&C and cut the chit on pushing unloaded sleds, doing the same boring bag drills over and over.

Advertisement
So what! They were ALL hindered and under developed at Miami in *****’s defense. They ALL played well in spite of his scheme and defensive play calling. They ALL should have had better college careers at NO fault of their own. *****’s defense sucked ***! His decision making sucked ***!

Give me Mario’s staff with those guys and their draft positions would have been much better and they would ALL have had better development and college careers under this current staff.

Advertisement
So what! They were ALL hindered and under developed at Miami in *****’s defense. They ALL played well in spite of his scheme and defensive play calling. They ALL should have had better college careers at NO fault of their own. *****’s defense sucked ***! His decision making sucked ***!

Give me Mario’s staff with those guys and their draft positions would have been much better and they would ALL have had better development and college careers under this current staff.
Huh? Rousseau was 2nd in the nation in sacks when he was here. Phillips only needed one year to make himself a first round pick. Chad Thomas lived up to the hype. And Joe Jax/Roche had **** good careers. DE has not been an issue with this defense up until last season. Lack of talent was the big problem.

Look at Juwan Howard and Michigan. No more doing the cabbage patch and dancing now that he is 14-11 and headed to the NIT and not the Elite Eight like last year. When you lose a lottery pick and the talent drops off that tends to happen.

Huh? Rousseau was 2nd in the nation in sacks when he was here. Phillips only needed one year to make himself a first round pick. Chad Thomas lived up to the hype. And Joe Jax/Roche had **** good careers. DE has not been an issue with this defense up until last season. Lack of talent was the big problem.

Look at Juwan Howard and Michigan. No more doing the cabbage patch and dancing now that he is 14-11 and headed to the NIT and not the Elite Eight like last year. When you lose a lottery pick and the talent drops off that tends to happen.
For all the holes in Manny’s scheme, getting pressure from the ends was the thing it did best. If anything it put such a premium on pass rush that other aspects failed. Fans have to admit that the reason why we had Zach McCloud and a Tennessee cast off as starters last year was because the guys they recruited weren’t very good. Still time for some of these younger guys to turn it around.

He's good when being slanted inside on the end.

Solid Strong side End...i think he will be somewhat productive this year.

The real disappointment to me was Jah Harvey more so than Chantz. Harvey has the bend around the corner n when i seen him at 2 camps b4 coming to UM he was basically unblockable by all guys that start now in college.

Im still a bit iffy about the edge guys and think we need to add the ucla kid or another guy to the mix...

I think Chantz could be like a Baraka Atkins here...
Baraka Atkins, there's a blast from the past. Always liked that kid as a player.

Advertisement
Back