Chantz Williams this season

Advertisement
I keep hearing mixed stories about this kids recruitment when he came out. I thought he was a big time get but other are saying he was lukewarm. I just remember him being a freak athlete at DE.

He flashed some last year but going into his 3rd year we need more then just flashes. We need a double digit sack guy.
No P5 school really wanted him. Manny offered him to get jalen from uf

He can get up field, he's pretty strong, and he doesn't stop. He needs some work between the ears first and foremost. Gotta have a plan as an EDGE guy, develop the craft quite a bit. He was just running upfield last year sometimes all willy nilly, but he also made some plays by just getting up field and keep moving. Physically, the bend...he just doesn't have it. Maybe not an athlete like that. The bend is usually something you don't develop, you just have.

All that said, he's flashed some...maybe with a new coach, new S&C, new feel at the University Chantz Williams can develop a little more off the field and we can get some more production from him on it.

Advertisement
As far as im concerned, almost everyone on the Defensive side of the ball is getting a fresh start after being under Danny Miaz the last 3 years.

100% agree. At the same time, Mario needs to make sure he has other options in case these kids don't make that transition. It will take time to unwind the mess Manny made on defense.

Chantz is another guy who needs to take a step forward under the new staff. Last year was disappointing. He has always been a beast in the weight room and is already winning weekly awards this offseason. We need to get production out of a guy that big, fast and hard-working.

The best-case scenario comparison would be someone like Boye Mafe in Minnesota. Like Chantz, Mafe is raw and somewhat uncoordinated as a pass rusher and an edge-setter. He didn't do much his first two years, but got progressively better and emerged as a first-round prospect as a senior. Look at their high school numbers:

Chantz Williams- 6'3.5, 215, 4.56 forty, 4.49 shuttle, 35.9 inch vert
Boye Mafe- 6'3, 218, 4.95 forty, 4.75 shuttle, 32.2 vert

Williams basically blows him away in HS measurable...Big difference.

Advertisement
I keep hearing mixed stories about this kids recruitment when he came out. I thought he was a big time get but other are saying he was lukewarm. I just remember him being a freak athlete at DE.

He flashed some last year but going into his 3rd year we need more then just flashes. We need a double digit sack guy.
Same here. When he first came in I remember hearing what a huge pull he was. He was being described as Joe Jackson with speed and a future 1st round pick. Then I start hearing how he is stiff and not a natural pass rusher. From what I can tell DMoney's description above is the most accurate and realistic. I hope he does develop like the kid from Minnesota because this DL needs all the pass rushers it can get and its likely much too early to expect anything from the true freshmen or even the redshirt freshmen like Davis and Ishmael.

Kid has the measurables & the height, weight, speed to be a menace. He doesn't seem to have many pass rush moves and if his bend/flexibility seem non-existent. This will be an interesting year to see what he does. I can see him taking a big leap, staying exactly the same, or being lost in the shuffle just as easily.

Advertisement
That guy’s tape is the most underwhelming tapes I’ve seen from a 4 star ever. Kid looks like one those evals where they see an athlete and say he is a 4 star.
Saw him live vs Deerfield in state playoffs and was very unimpressed. To be fair that was one game and I believe he was a junior that year. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Advertisement
The time is now... Kelly and Moss coming on his heels if he don't step up.
I've said it like 5 times already, the theme of this season is **** or get off the pot!! Walker Brooks Huff Chantz Redding(if he's even still on the roster) **** even Chaney etc. All got to add something or get out the way. It sounds cold but Bama UGA and OSU keep it moving w/o hesitation.

He's good when being slanted inside on the end.

Solid Strong side End...i think he will be somewhat productive this year.

The real disappointment to me was Jah Harvey more so than Chantz. Harvey has the bend around the corner n when i seen him at 2 camps b4 coming to UM he was basically unblockable by all guys that start now in college.

Im still a bit iffy about the edge guys and think we need to add the ucla kid or another guy to the mix...

I think Chantz could be like a Baraka Atkins here...

I'm almost resigned to say that most of our recent signing classes [especially on the defensive side of the ball] under the previous administration are JAGs. And I hate to think that.

Ishmael
Troutman
Tyler Johnson
Thomas Davis
Allen Haye

Chantz
Jalen Harrell
Dunson
Key Washington
Cave
Marcus Clarke
Balom
Flagg

Huff
Harvey
Couch
Cam Williams
Brooks
Holley

None of these guys would have been Canes if Mario was the HC during their signing periods. Downvote me. I deserve it. But it's what I think.

Advertisement
Back