Changes I’d like to see

This all feels strangely familiar. Get pantsed by the in-state measuring stick program for all the usual reasons, come up with the obvious list of changes, have the army of chuds stuck in 2007 rush in to defend the mediocrity...and then **** the bed to end the season in a few months.
Are u comparing baseball..too football..oh ****

Advertisement
Disappointing/maddening weekend would be the under-statement of the year. The sad thing is I don't think we are that different from UF talent-wise. O'Sullivan reminds me of Morris in his prime - attention to detail, teaches fundamentals, pushes all the right buttons w in-game decision-making, etc. Dimare on the other hand has proven he can recruit, but player development and in-game moves have been terrible and show no signs of improvement from last year.

And the defense and base-running might actually be worse than last year, incredible as that sounds. In addition to the physical errors, the mental lapses and lack of situational awareness indicate an unprepared team, e.g. UF's 2nd run on Sunday should have never scored: Vilar has to realize their runner was practically at 2B before the ball was hit and throw to first for the 3rd out; and then Paige still could have easily thrown the runner out at home but he was looking around for two - three seconds, at the umpire I guess. That play summed up the whole weekend for me - their aggressiveness vs our head up our *** in key situations. And they rub it in w their smack talk on top of everything and we do nothing about it.

There is still plenty of time to turn things around, but only if the coaches and players accept that this past weekend was a wake-up call and that changes and adjustments need to be made.

this.

Once again, plate approach is on the batter not the coach. A hitting coach can tell a batter to change their approach can drill it until blue in the face. but if the player doesn’t implement it that’s on the player . How you played ball and don’t understand that blows my mind. For me it was simple. It was about identifying your strengths as a hitter and executing each AB..and Your using one weekend tho..the UF weekend..3 games..9-11 ABs...now if your gonna use the last 10-12 years (in which D has been the HC for 1 year and is 40-20) as the main indictment on what u saw this weekend...

You keep spouting the same nonsense. Why is batting the only thing in sports that the coach isn't responsible for fixing? And how do you not see the same poor approaches year after year? This is a program issue. Why do UF hitters have a better approach? I'll guarantee you it is because Kevin O'Sullivan demands an approach.

Advertisement
NOT after 6 ******* games..bruh this is funny asf too me..i played in college also...theres proof all throughout the history of baseball of teams starting out hot and fizzled out and teams who started slow and get hot and click at the right time..baseball is about keeping pace and playing overall good ball in the long haul..no matter what a 3 game series in the 2nd week will never determine the end result of the season so u don’t go panicking and making changes off that result..ppl talking about changing the lineup after 20 ABs and changing the backend of the Pen after 4 or 5 appearances is crazy

I believe there’s some validity to all sides of the discussion. First and foremost the talent comparison between the schools from top to bottom is different. Like it or not, Title IX severely hamstrings schools like Miami in “non revenue” sports like baseball. Although our top end talent may be comparable, the middle to lower half of the roster is not. The ability to land higher end players who sacrifice initial scholarship money to play at their “dream school” is a huge disadvantage. Walking on or taking 20% at UF or other state schools is far more financially feasible than going to Miami where 11.7 ships are divided amongst 27 kids appropriately. I realize there’s other assistance but point being it’s an uphill battle. I also agree it’s not time to panic. I’d argue though that getting over on the gator would be a step in the right direction for the program. It was there for the taking and the opportunity this year was lost. Again, to think we’re going to be able to play multiple extra inning/close/high leverage games against UF and be successful is foolish, we don’t have the depth, especially in the pen. Hopefully Gino makes the adjustment with the arms and a bat or too and this will be looked at as the catalyst in adjustments that needed to be made.

This is just getting ridiculous at the moment. What don't you guys understand.... What we are seeing at the plate is what we saw to finish the year last year? What we are seeing out of the pen is how we finished the year last year? If you guys want specifics I can list specifics at nauseum. But for god's sake that is beyond the point. The approach at the plate has been a fundamental issue with this program going back 10+ years... yes your point about baseball and at bat's is correct. But that is only correct for teams that have proven they can break the mold. We haven't done that in forever and I'm willing to bet a bunch of money that trend we have going for us doesn't change this year. Until we get better coaching NONE OF IT WILL CHANGE. Please stop posting these obvious *** responses. This program's issues are completely different because we haven't gotten better over the course of the year in over a decade.

I always thought our hitting was mostly terrible and said was exposed postseason under batting coach Gino.

But it wasnt on him?

(baserunning was awful by tee ball standards during the last Morris decade, as was other aspects, so maybe hitting woes were not on Gino)

Advertisement
I always thought our hitting was mostly terrible and said was exposed postseason under batting coach Gino.

But it wasnt on him?

These people couldn't defend Jim Morris fast enough even though we were missing the tournament. Now, though, Gino is the mastermind of the turnaround. That begs the question: if Jim Morris was still doing a great job, why did Gino need to turn anything around?

I agree with Purple Hunter in everything he says but it's back to talking about changes that need to be made:

Starting with lineup changes: Lala has to be moved down. He hit the ball hard a couple times yesterday but he needs to see better pitches down in the order. Rivera also needs to be moved down. He feasted hitting in 9 hole last year, I think he should go back down there.

Jenkins
Tuero
ADC
Gil
Toral
Gates/Thomas
Lala
Vilar
Rivera

Pitching Rotation: Palmquist needs to be given a fair shot at closer. He has filthy stuff.

Weekend Starters: BVB, Mcmahon, Slade
Midweek Starters: Mcfarlane Garland, (Keysor if needed)
Bullpen: Gates, Federman Keysor

Closer: Palmquist

Pick a midweek starter and stick with it. No need for these "bullpen games"

DIMARE PLEASE GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ***

Last edited:
CF Jenkins
RF Thomas
C Del
3B Gil
1B Toral
DH Gates
LF Rivera
SS Vilar
2B Tuero

Advertisement
I agree with Purple Hunter in everything he says but it's back to talking about changes that need to be made:

Starting with lineup changes: Lala has to be moved down. He hit the ball hard a couple times yesterday but he needs to see better pitches down in the order. Rivera also needs to be moved down. He feasted hitting in 9 hole last year, I think he should go back down there.

Jenkins
Tuero
ADC
Gil
Toral
Gates/Thomas
Lala
Vilar
Rivera

Pitching Rotation: Palmquist needs to be given a fair shot at closer. He has filthy stuff.

Weekend Starters: BVB, Mcmahon, Slade
Midweek Starters: Mcfarlane Garland, (Keysor if needed)
Bullpen: Gates, Federman Keysor

Closer: Palmquist

Pick a midweek starter and stick with it. No need for these "bullpen games"

DIMARE PLEASE GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ***
Id like to see federman on the mid-week and use Maury with that pen rotation

Advertisement
I like Thomas in 2 hole but I'm surprised by the decision. I believe we are a a more complete team if Tuero is in 2 hole.

Considering not one kid on the team can steal a bag and taking into consideration what an absolute monster hitter Del Castillo is. I want to see small ball implemented at top of the order. Whoever leads off, if they get on. I want to see the next guy bunt him over. We are losing out on valuable runs by not doing this. Castillo is a walking RBI and we have to do WHATEVER is necessary to get guys in scoring position for him to start games. I wouldn't be saying this if any of our guys could steal a bag but they can't at the moment.

Time to move Lala down and remove 99 from the closer. Those are the two biggest moves to be made right now. I would not mind seeing Keysor/Palm/McFarlane get their shot at closer.

The other thing I would do is have Slade watch BVB pitch. See how he pitches a game, doesn't just throw. Slade has all the tools in the world but he doesn't pitch games, he just throws.

I think Gil is about to heat up as well so we need ANYONE getting on in the 1-2 holes in front of ADC, Gil, Toral, etc

We should win 10 of the next 12 or so but this team is not Omaha material at the moment

Advertisement
Back