Changes I’d like to see

He hit .340 last year, not going to pull him out as the DH 11 games into the season

While I agree, I think we might see Quinones get more PT in the near future w our surplus of LH hitters, many of whom are struggling and/or have regressed from last year.

Advertisement
The ball comes off Gates bat in a special kind of way, no way we can put him on the bench IMO

My two most easily fixable demands at the moment:
-Move Jenkins to the leadoff spot
-Make either Keysor or Federman the midweek starter. Garland and McFarlane are going to be good but aren’t ready yet, and I’ve been saying since the start that midweek pitcher by committee would bite us against the better teams

My two most easily fixable demands at the moment:
-Move Jenkins to the leadoff spot
-Make either Keysor or Federman the midweek starter. Garland and McFarlane are going to be good but aren’t ready yet, and I’ve been saying since the start that midweek pitcher by committee would bite us against the better teams
Also, if we’re playing musical DH: I’d like to see Lauck get a run in the role. He’s walked four times in five plate appearances this season, which tells me he at least has a better plate approach than we’re seeing from the rest of the team.

Sorry, I had an entire basketball game to stew on it.

I’d try something like this:
Jenkins CF
Vilar SS
Del C
Toral 1B
Gil 3B
Thomas RF
Tuero 2B
Lauck DH
Lala LF

I’m fine with swapping Vilar and Thomas also

Advertisement
Tuero & Jenkins are by far the best lead off hitters on the roster. They are the only ones thus far that have proven to be able to get hits off lazy grounders, soft fly balls. They find ways to get on base. They both have to move up in lineup.

I don't want to see Quinones get another chance at the plate again this season. He doesn't have it regardless of the ridiculous righty lefty bs that Dimare swears by. This is college baseball, it isn't that complicated.

I'm beyond frustrated because I look at this team and don't see how they can get better. Last years hitting was a complete mirage IMO. This team doesn't know how to pick each other up. They all stink at the moment besides Tuero and Jenkins. Even Castillo is strikeing out WAYYY TOO MUCH

We are hitting .246 as a team. I fee like these kids read all the off season headlines and it got to them. They hit almost .300 as a team last season. We still have 80% of the season to play but thus far this has been a disappointment.

McFarlane has been getting lit up lately, time to take the young kid out of the Wed starter spot and let him work some relief innings IMO

We are hitting .246 as a team. I fee like these kids read all the off season headlines and it got to them. They hit almost .300 as a team last season. We still have 80% of the season to play but thus far this has been a disappointment.

McFarlane has been getting lit up lately, time to take the young kid out of the Wed starter spot and let him work some relief innings IMO
Bun I am extremely worried about this club. Dimare stinks beyond belief

And appear to have done nothing in the off season to get bigger, stronger, faster, better. Jenkins, Tuero and BVB seem like the only ones who came back hungry to prove themselves. Did they think the competition was just going to lie down when they played us because we returned everyone?

Advertisement
And appear to have done nothing in the off season to get bigger, stronger, faster, better. Jenkins, Tuero and BVB seem like the only ones who came back hungry to prove themselves. Did they think the competition was just going to lie down when they played us because we returned everyone?
Unfortunately they are playing that way. I myself LOVE college baseball and was heavily invested in this team getting back to Omaha in June. I am very disappointed. With a Big 3 of BVB, CMac and Slade we should be better than we are. We **** around this weekend and Pitt will take 2 of 3 from us. I still hold out hope things turn around but am less than optimistic that happens.

Lala LF
Tuero 2B
Vilar SS
Del C
Toral 1B
Gil 3B
Gates DH
Thomas RF
Jenkins CF

Let's discuss the lack of aggression on base paths. I'm talking about one of the least aggressive team I have ever seen in college baseball on the base paths.

Why in obvious steal situations when he have nothing to lose are we not trying to swipe bags? Multiple times this weekend we needed insurance runs, got the leadoff guy on or a guy on with 1 out with plus speed, and didn't even attempt to steal?

Is this a Dimare issue or kids not trusting themselves and giving themselves the red light?

Last edited:
Let's discuss the lack of aggression on base paths. I'm talking about the least aggressive team I have ever seen in college baseball on the base paths.

Why in obvious steal situations when he have nothing to lose are we not trying to swipe bags? Multiple times this weekend we needed insurance runs, got the leadoff guy on or a guy on with 1 out with plus speed, and didn't even attempt to steal?

Is this a Dimare issue or kids not trusting themselves and giving themselves the red light?
Our overall team speed is HORRIBLE. We got some slow *** kids. Jenkins/Lala are the only guys I trust to not get thrown out, and they are a combined 7 for 10. Only other guys with more than 1 attempt are Rivera and Vilar.

Advertisement
Our overall team speed is HORRIBLE. We got some slow *** kids. Jenkins/Lala are the only guys I trust to not get thrown out, and they are a combined 7 for 10. Only other guys with more than 1 attempt are Rivera and Vilar.
What about Tuero? He looks like he can run a little bit.

Funny thing is both of those guys got on late in games with 1 out and didn't try and steal a bag. I would rather us be aggressive late in games and at least try and get the runner to 2nd.

I dunno, I like his bat but I need him to show me a little more over time, make sure this is not fluky

He has 1 stolen base in his career so tbh I don't know how he runs the bases
I pray it isn't fluky because we need all the production we can get with this lineup. He hasn't struck out much at all and he sprays the ball all over the place so I have really high hopes that he stays consistent

Advertisement
I pray it isn't fluky because we need all the production we can get with this lineup. He hasn't struck out much at all and he sprays the ball all over the place so I have really high hopes that he stays consistent
Yeah, he has had some good abs and put some good swings on balls. If this isn't fluky than we got something but then I would wonder why we trotted out an automatic out at 2B for the first 8 games or so.

Yeah, he has had some good abs and put some good swings on balls. If this isn't fluky than we got something but then I would wonder why we trotted out an automatic out at 2B for the first 8 games or so.

Tuero raked as a freshman too before he got hurt. Legit might be the best pure hitter we have outside of Del. Obviously Dimare thought he could hide Paige's poor bat and that his glove would outweigh that but it was a complete failure. Tuero has to be out there every day.

As for speed, we're probably middle of the pack in the ACC. Fast outfield, slow infield. Gabe Rivera actually is faster than either Jenkins or Lala, and could steal bases if he were on more. Obviously losing Zamora was a huge blow. With him, we'd be able to put a lot more pressure on other teams' fielding.

Tuero raked as a freshman too before he got hurt. Legit might be the best pure hitter we have outside of Del. Obviously Dimare thought he could hide Paige's poor bat and that his glove would outweigh that but it was a complete failure. Tuero has to be out there every day.

As for speed, we're probably middle of the pack in the ACC. Fast outfield, slow infield. Gabe Rivera actually is faster than either Jenkins or Lala, and could steal bases if he were on more. Obviously losing Zamora was a huge blow. With him, we'd be able to put a lot more pressure on other teams' fielding.
What's your thoughts on lack of aggression on base paths? Obvious stealing situations with our plus speed guys and we still aren't even attempting to steal a bag?

Stealing bases at all levels of baseball has become a difficult task. Pitchers have gotten to the point where they are almost all quick to the plate with the slide step or a modified delivery. Combine that with them throwing harder across the board than ever (same thing with catchers), and stealing a base has become a much lower percentage play.

You just don’t see hardly anybody trying to run like they used to. Kind of sucks because I love the stolen base, but it makes sense. The highest percentage move up in today’s game is reading balls in the dirt and moving up that way.

Advertisement
Back