CFP to expand to as many as 16 teams?

This won't level the playing field like some think. 4 is good right now imo cause the same four are are the elite schools. Ain't no point watching bama win 80-0

Only a slump-shouldered pvssy argues that Alabama beats every #16 team 80-0 every year. What a joke. Why bother holding a season when Alabama is so dominant?

Advertisement
I did not read all the ideas so mine might be the same as others but I really think 8 is the right number. I 1000% do not think any team should;d get a bye and thats why I hate the idea of a 6 team play off and the top 2 get a bye week. I hate it in the NFL. Every team should have to go through the same struggles. I also dont care if 3 or 4 SEC teams get in or if 3 or 4 ACC teams were to get in. Juts get the best 8 teams and let it play out on the field.

I am more a party type of guy and more the better. Somebody just mentioned bowls the way they used to be and I do miss that.

How about playoffs but on a regional basis? Would build up some sort region pride deal.

You must be wrong though Dwinstitles since I am never wrong lol!
I just want the men voting and putting teams in on opinion gone.

This is the dumbest idea in the history of college sports.

The four-team playoff works. There is no argument otherwise, presently or historically. It would’ve worked in 2000 and it works now.

This idiotic proposal would ruin the best regular season in sports.

I see what you’re saying, but here’s another side.

Personally I think 16 is way too many. But what do you think about the bowl games now?

They have been almost relegated to basically insignificance.

Certainly, the players care way less about the bowl games now than they did before the playoffs system, and every year more and more opt out.

The fans are becoming more blasé about it, heck, even the coaches.

How do we solve that problem? This is the greatest regular season there’s no doubt about that, but the bowl season, other than the playoffs, just pretty much sucks now.

This is the dumbest idea in the history of college sports.

The four-team playoff works. There is no argument otherwise, presently or historically. It would’ve worked in 2000 and it works now.

This idiotic proposal would ruin the best regular season in sports.

You think it's good for CFB when the same 4 teams have been awarded 20 of the 28 playoff spots in its history? I think you have it backwards. The 4 team playoff system was suppose to make the regular season more compelling. What has transpired instead is that it has perpetuated a system of stratification in the sport unlike any in its history, and has actually made the regular season more predictable. Its also not a coincidence that the 4 teams that have been awarded the most playoff selections, also disproportionately sign a larger % of 5-star players each recruiting cycle.

Imagine in the early 80's if the supreme court never issued its ruling in NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma, 468 U.S. 85, and the NCAA maintained it's stranglehold & monopoly on TV rights. Do you think your alma mater and the team you are a passionate fan of would've been able to breakthrough and emerge in a sport otherwise dominated by blue blood programs? I think you and I both know the answer to that question. Similarly this is also a watershed moment. The only solution is to allow more teams in. Not because more teams deserve a shot at the title. That’s almost irrelevant. The best teams do & will end up wining the championship. We need to let more teams in so they get playoff exposure and can keep pace with the blue bloods to at least some degree. It seems counterintuitive but a less meaningful regular season, will actually make it more compelling. I don't know about you, but I'm not really interested in seeing MIA play FAMU, Bethune, and Central Conn

Advertisement
You think it's good for CFB when the same 4 teams have been awarded 20 of the 28 playoff spots in its history?
Clemson wasn't Clemson when the playoffs started in 2014. They earned their way into the club by doing things right.

Just because we're mad at the results doesn't mean we need to change the rules. This kind of tournament turns college football into college hoops. And that's terrible.

Clemson wasn't Clemson when the playoffs started in 2014. They earned their way into the club by doing things right.

Just because we're mad at the results doesn't mean we need to change the rules. This kind of tournament turns college football into college hoops. And that's terrible.
I think the last two lines of your thoughts were strange. You think that the one of the most exciting sports playoffs (IMO the most exciting) that exist is a bad thing??? With college football only being 12 regular season games... seems most would enjoy to watch more football. And when it comes to college football ... it might diminish the regular season a tad, but u still gotta fight for those spots. My opinion is increasing from 4 teams is overdue. I’m actually cool with 16, but I hear peeps saying 8 might be better and I could roll with that.

Got to happen, nobody wants to watch the same 4 teams every year.

Now those same teams can't use the CFP playoff in recruiting as much either.
All this also controls recruiting, outside of other factors top kids want to play in playoffs and only 5 teams really do that and that’s why they are loaded every year. This would level out the player field a little bit more

I like the idea of 6 teams.

5 conference champs
1 at large

Still exclusive, emphasis on conf championships instead of “SOS” which is only used when it’s convenient for certain (SEC) teams. The only debate comes down to the at-large spot which gives the media something to ***** and whine about. Everyone’s happy.

I was thinking the same but I like 12 teams... 10 conferences and champion automatically qualifies then 2 at large or the 2 highest rated teams that didnt win conference

Advertisement
I Personally I think 16 is way too many. But what do you think about the bowl games now?
Aside from the 3-4 top teams, bowl games have never been part of the championship picture.

The opt-outs make them worse but it’s still just free football in the holiday season. It’s also nice to get a head start on next year’s team.

They just need to go to a NFL style of regular season and playoffs with an 11 game reg season.

Lets face it the regular season in college football doesnt mean much anyways. When Bama made the playoff without winning their conference, the regular season died.

have a set rotation of inter conference games like the NFL. Play your way in, and get rid of the damned committees sitting in a board room deciding who is in and who is out

They just need to go to a NFL style of regular season and playoffs with an 11 game reg season.

Lets face it the regular season in college football doesnt mean much anyways. When Bama made the playoff without winning their conference, the regular season died.

have a set rotation of inter conference games like the NFL. Play your way in, and get rid of the damned committees sitting in a board room deciding who is in and who is out
Who says it doesn’t mean much anyways ? Butt hurt people mad Clemson and Bama winning every year? College football is so popular because every game is so important. It’s life or death. Miami fans wasn’t mad when we were in the discussion every year or winning for a decade straight.

This is the equivalent of everyone getting a trophy syndrome. “Everyone get in the playoff, that wag all the fans and teams will be happy for tens seconds. Then reality punches them in the mouth game one.

It would water down the product and load a playoff up with 2-3 really good teams, 2-3 solid to good teams and the rest mediocre. That’s never a good idea. 8 is too many but there’s no way it should go any higher.

I think the last two lines of your thoughts were strange. You think that the one of the most exciting sports playoffs (IMO the most exciting) that exist is a bad thing???
CBB regular season is terrible. Nobody cares if Duke or Kentucky is losing on a Wednesday because the tournament is what matters.

When the #1 team is losing in the CFB regular season, it's must-see TV.

Advertisement
CBB regular season is terrible. Nobody cares if Duke or Kentucky is losing on a Wednesday because the tournament is what matters.

The tourney is so big because of gambling and brackets. Casual fans care for that , the same fans who don’t watch any bball during the season. Cbb regular season ratings are awful.

The average margin of victory in CFP games is 19 points. The average margin of victory in CFP semis is 21 points. The current system has created parity and inequity in what are supposed to be the biggest games of the season. I'm okay with making a few SEC regular season games marginally less important to give more teams a chance at competing for a title, better final 4 matchups and fewer bowl season opt outs. Bowl season is supposed to be the climax of the season, not Miami-Alabama in week 1. The current system has trivialized all bowl games to where good players don't care to play in them and fans don't care as much about the result. They feel like glorified exhibition games. I'll trade no bowl stakes for diminished regular season stakes. Even then that's arguable as there's a lot of prestige in winning division/conference titles and beating rivals, regardless of the playoff stakes.

CFB is a business and a larger tournament will increase revenue and engagement. It's a no brainer. I'm getting major "old man yells at cloud" vibes from some dudes in this thread.

Also CBB gets garbage ratings because it's a garbage product. People only watch the tournament because of brackets and gambling excitement like @Cribby said.

Bowl season is supposed to be the climax of the season, not Miami-Alabama in week 1. The current system has trivialized all bowl games to where good players don't care to play in them and fans don't care as much about the result.
How did the CFP trivialize bowl games? There used to be 1 championship bowl game, maybe 2. Now there are 3. The other games never meant anything but pride.

The argument for the CFP was making sure we crowned the best team. It has obviously accomplished its purpose. Now we're blaming the system for things that have nothing to do with it.

The top teams are so consistently good because of great coaches, money and improved efficiency in recruiting. Kids are opting out of bowls because they are more self-focused, for better and worse. These things were in motion well before any playoff.

College football is better than every sport because it has the best regular season. It's not bands, it's not student section chants. It's the importance of every game. This proposal kills that dead for 4 weeks of entertainment and a ton of blowouts. It's a bad and short-sighted idea.

Advertisement
How did the CFP trivialize bowl games? There used to be 1 championship bowl game, maybe 2. Now there are 3. The other games never meant anything but pride.

The argument for the CFP was making sure we crowned the best team. It has obviously accomplished its purpose. Now we're blaming the system for things that have nothing to do with it.

The top teams are so consistently good because of great coaches, money and improved efficiency in recruiting. Kids are opting out of bowls because they are more self-focused, for better and worse. These things were in motion well before any playoff.

College football is better than every sport because it has the best regular season. It's not bands, it's not student section chants. It's the importance of every game. This proposal kills that dead for 4 weeks of entertainment and a ton of blowouts. It's a bad and short-sighted idea.
Nobody caring about bowls has nothing to do with the playoff. They’d be doing this if there was a playoff , a bcs or the archaic system from our childhood . Its just where we’re now. I’m not sure how that’s even part of this.

I don’t understand how a bunch of three and four loss teams getting housed by the same three teams head and shoulders better than them is suddenly a good idea. As of now now all this will do is make bama and Clemson blowing out a couple more teams by fourth points before playing in the natty. That’s so exciting!!!! Let’s do it ASAP.

I like how he says we sound like old people yelling at clouds.

The people advocating for expansion sound like little kids who think they are saving the world by using paper straws over plastic.

When in reality all you are doing is getting a cheap soggy straw that is not as effective or good.

Last edited:

Yeah but the regular season of CBB isn’t anywhere close to just 12 games. That’s where college football regular season IMO will still be almost as good. Yeah losing one game won’t be too bad, but depending how they set it up... u have 2-3 loses and u are in trouble unless u win your conference. March madness is awesome and bringing a larger playoff in college football I’m not sure is a bad thing

Advertisement
Back