CFP to expand to as many as 16 teams?

TheOriginalCane

So say good night to the bad guy!
Premium
Can't happen fast enough. Kill the bowls, roll with the CFP.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It’s a great idea I just don’t think the big boys want it, and by that I mean Alabama and a few other SEC teams. Somebody tell me I’m wrong.

Edit: I just quickly read the article, these guys are speculating for years down the line and are talking about initial minimal expansion, 16 teams doesn’t even seem quite feasible the way they’re talking about it, at least not for many many years. Doesn’t even seem to be a very serious discussion to be honest.

EAC99E22-4DA2-4CC5-8724-B8AA18F37D0F.gif

Advertisement
14 of those 16 teams will be from the SEC for most of the season, the conference will love it.

I just added to the post in an edit. But no way - not 14 or 16 teams you are exaggerating. Think it through. if it ever got to 16, which would be maybe 15 or 20 years from now the way they talked about it, it could be a max 4-6 SEC teams would be my guess. And the top two or three SEC teams still wouldn’t like it. Hence my original point

Advertisement
I like the idea of 6 teams.

5 conference champs
1 at large

Still exclusive, emphasis on conf championships instead of “SOS” which is only used when it’s convenient for certain (SEC) teams. The only debate comes down to the at-large spot which gives the media something to ***** and whine about. Everyone’s happy.

Advertisement
I like the idea of 6 teams.

5 conference champs
1 at large

Still exclusive, emphasis on conf championships instead of “SOS” which is only used when it’s convenient for certain (SEC) teams. The only debate comes down to the at-large spot which gives the media something to ***** and whine about. Everyone’s happy.

Unfortunately I think that still basically prevents G5s from having a realistic shot at the playoffs. In most years, a 2 or even 3 loss SEC team would still get the nod over an unbeaten G5. I think what works is 7 teams total- 5 P5 conference champs, best from all G5, one at large. That keeps it to 3 weeks (4 is too much). Incentivize the #1 slot by giving the #1 a bye week.

Round 1
Game 1 Team 2 v Team 7
Game 2 Team 3 v Team 6
Game 3 Team 4 v Team 5

Round 2
Winner Game 1 v Winner Game 2
Winner Game 3 v Team 1

Round 3
Championship

Can't happen fast enough. Kill the bowls, roll with the CFP.

I wonder if one of the scenarios would be a return to the pre-BCS bowl system so beloved by various colleges.

Advertisement
Back