CFP to expand to as many as 16 teams?

Advertisement
I don’t see playoff expansion without bowl inclusion like the current format. Too much money involved. 16 is too many. 6-8 is plenty.

8 not enough. This may ultimately help other conferences with getting athletes because they won't have to be in a handful of conferences to have a NC chance. Too many one/two loss teams 8-12 or so.

Is King a difference maker on our team? So say he sits out first 4 weeks and we start out 1-3 or 2-2. 8 teams eliminates us...16? I wouldn't want to play us in the first round.

I see everyone's point but it is done in FCS and everywhere else. Does 16 win? Probably no but they are in the hunt. We love March Madness but what was the lowest seed to win a NC? I think it was Nova as an 8 seed so why are we messing around with 65 teams.

I disagree with anything more than 8. Even with 4, its still been mainly the same teams. You really think the "chance to make the playoffs" is going to help other teams in recruiting when they know their #16 team is still going to get housed by a top 4 team? (Newsflash: new recruiting pitch will not be "make the playoff" anymore, it will be "make the final rounds of the playoff") Who cares if you make the playoff if you get eliminated the first round everytime?

The only issue we ever really had with the playoffs is the team selection. Usually the top 3 teams are dead set, but at the 4 spot there is some diagreement on which is the next best team. So spots 4-7 or so all really could be that #4 team. But this was always going to be an issue because its hard for them to tell an undefeated or 1 loss team that we didn't think your strength of schedule was tough enough, and then you have the UCF's of the world getting aboslutely butt flustered and going out and claiming themselves national champs, etc.

I do not want to watch #16 vs #1. **** #4 cant play with #1 now its usually a blow out.

This;

At the most, change the CFP to 8 teams. Use the bowl games out the CFP to start determining rankings the following years by reshuffling tier ratings. Leave the lower tier bowls for those G5 teams that are not competitive, but are still happy to be apart of a bowl game. Leave the upper tier bowl games for P5 & competitive G5’s. Jmo on this.

Advertisement
I do not want to watch #16 vs #1. **** #4 cant play with #1 now its usually a blow out.
This is exactly why expansion is pointless. All it will do is increase the risk for injuries to key guys when 1 has to formally wax 16 and 7 or 8 seeds

Yea 16 is too many and really pointless. With the lack of parody 13-16 can not compete with 1-4. 6-8 might be the sweet spot.

I also really like the idea of a group of 5 playoff.
It would just build up those elite teams legend and legacy's IMO, cause we know they will win anyway. First team to win a 16 game playoff first team to do this and that and blah blah......we usually know who the best 4 are so no point in the 16 ****. It wont help with recruiting either like people think.

8 not enough.
**** Van Patten strongly disagrees.
8 not enough.
Cast-of-Eight-is-Enough-TV-show.jpg

Advertisement
It would just build up those elite teams legend and legacy's IMO, cause we know they will win anyway. First team to win a 16 game playoff first team to do this and that and blah blah......we usually know who the best 4 are so no point in the 16 ****. It wont help with recruiting either like people think.
So you want to leave this system as is correct?

Hard to ***** up the current ****** system.

Every time I hear an argument against a degree of change, feel like asking 'why?' IMO college football is the worst it's been competitively, and as a viewable product, in 30-40 years.

So you want to leave this system as is correct?
I wouldn't mind all the conference title winners. My mope mad af hater mind says the sec will put 5 teams in this fuqin thing somehow and rig it so they have the best chance to win. I don't care if Bama goes undefeated loses there sec title game they should be left out.....make winning the conference mean something. That should basically be a playoff game period end of story

Advertisement
I wouldn't mind all the conference title winners. My mope mad af hater mind says the sec will put 5 teams in this fuqin thing somehow and rig it so they have the best chance to win. I don't care if Bama goes undefeated loses there sec title game they should be left out.....make winning the conference mean something. That should basically be a playoff game period end of story
Not a Bama fan but when you start talkin about conference winners, runner-up, regular season champ versus winner of the championship game...You start to get closer to that 16 number especially if you open it up for some mid-majors.

Games throughout the year still mean something because at 16 you won't get many 3 loss teams. Also, you are playing for seeding and maybe a home game before the "bowls".

Winning a championship game? Would hurt really strong conferences. We go unbeaten then lose to somebody by 1 point on a fluke play and bad call...We would be screaming if we went off your viewpoint. I get your point I just think at least 8 or don't bother.

This is the dumbest idea in the history of college sports.

The four-team playoff works. There is no argument otherwise, presently or historically. It would’ve worked in 2000 and it works now.

This idiotic proposal would ruin the best regular season in sports.

Follow the money. Don't know if it will ever reach 16, but look for some expansion in the near future. TV dollars can change a lot of minds. Most conferences would welcome the extra money.

Advertisement
Not a Bama fan but when you start talkin about conference winners, runner-up, regular season champ versus winner of the championship game...You start to get closer to that 16 number especially if you open it up for some mid-majors.

Games throughout the year still mean something because at 16 you won't get many 3 loss teams. Also, you are playing for seeding and maybe a home game before the "bowls".

Winning a championship game? Would hurt really strong conferences. We go unbeaten then lose to somebody by 1 point on a fluke play and bad call...We would be screaming if we went off your viewpoint. I get your point I just think at least 8 or don't bother.
Im a play to win your conference type and if it hurt a really strong conference maybe kids will think of it and it can create some sort of parity.

I would rather they just go back to the Old Bowl format. ( Made New Year's Day more interesting with all the different scenarios.)

The thing I would absolutely hate about Playoff Expansion is that Bama and O$U even in down years would be automatically put into playoffs with 2 or even 3 losses just based on history and 5 Star recruiting rankings.

No thanks.

Im a play to win your conference type and if it hurt a really strong conference maybe kids will think of it and it can create some sort of parity.
I am more a party type of guy and more the better. Somebody just mentioned bowls the way they used to be and I do miss that.

How about playoffs but on a regional basis? Would build up some sort region pride deal.

You must be wrong though Dwinstitles since I am never wrong lol!

It’s a great idea I just don’t think the big boys want it, and by that I mean Alabama and a few other SEC teams. Somebody tell me I’m wrong.

Edit: I just quickly read the article, these guys are speculating for years down the line and are talking about initial minimal expansion, 16 teams doesn’t even seem quite feasible the way they’re talking about it, at least not for many many years. Doesn’t even seem to be a very serious discussion to be honest.

1. There is still an existing contract.
2. Some of the more modest proposals might happen before the contract is up.
3. Wait until TV networks propose massive money for a 16-team playoff, ****e will move real fast at that point.
4. Yes, it's a talking paper right now, but that's more than we've ever had, and should be an indication of a willingness to listen.
5. Alabama will be fine with it if they get extra-extra money for going to the title game.

Advertisement
Back