CBS Projected Mock Draft

Kiper thinks Thomas gets drafted in the 5th
Man, I don't know. he's talented enough to play in the league for sure but is a team going to use a draft pick on a dude who not only had off field issues but totally bombed the combine? Had he tested better or at least run a better 40 than KJ Osborn, I'd say he's a 4th or 5th round guy but he really hurt his stock in Indianapolis.

Advertisement
But RJ and Kendrick killed them up the gut. I think they thought that gameplan was going to work.. Shhheeeeit.
You're right, but when you have a 220lb RB you try and get him going north and south versus east and west. I loved watching that game, the defense punched them in the mouth from the jump and didn't relent.

ND also had a terrible game plan which didn't help their OL. They kept trying to run horizontally and our speed was too much for them.

Also a Niners fan here. McGlinchey is stout in the run, but is average at best in pass pro. Dude is a mauler, but struggles against long and/or quick ends.

This is the reason why Garvin and Co. made him look silly, and it's still evident in the pros.

The defense is gimmicky. The numbers are cosmetic. The NFL sees it. We rarely face an offense with a pulse.

This isn’t a Miami offense vs defense argument. Diaz had four years to replace these small/slow players (according to you) and couldn’t/didn’t. He’s at the front end and the back end of the production line. There are no excuses. Diaz has been touting our MLB for four years. Now He’s asking another average 5 year guy to stick around because he hasn’t recruited or developed elite replacements (his approach/logic - because I love STA youngsters).

If Shaq goes past the third, it’s a total indictment of his scheme and player development. He was a four year starter. LB is supposed to be Diaz’s specialty. And it will be used against him on the trail.

Even Al Golden produced top 3 round talent.

If the defense continually puts up more than respectable metrics and has no high end NFL talent, isn't that more of a feather in Diaz's cap? He's fielding an above average defense, at worst, every single year with kids who can't play in the NFL? Sounds like pretty solid coaching to me.

Advertisement
Quarterman and Pinckney not getting drafted would be an embarrassment for Manny Diaz and this trash defensive scheme.
Anyone that has watched us the last 4 years, and I mean closely, would see a lot of average LB play. I never once saw anything that resembled Ray Lewis, Dan Morgan, Vilma, Webster, Barrow, Smith, Armstead, or any other draftable LB we have had the last 35+ years.

Their freshman years were possibly their best. I just saw no improvement. If anything, they all seemed to get slower, and their angles seemed to get worse. Very little explosiveness, or decisiveness. Shaq was at his best when he simply ran through a hole and hit a guy. Shaq in space was a nightmare. Same for all of them. That's not what the NFL is looking for.

Garvin 6
Dallas 6
Thomas UFA*
Hill UFA*
Osborn UFA
Finley UFA
Shaq UFA
Bandy UFA
Pinckney UFA
Bethel UFA
Knowles UFA
Nnoruka UFA

*Hill and Thomas would get picked late if not for major character concerns.

Advertisement
My issue is...

WHY ARE GUYS NOT GETTING BETTER?

You can attribute it to whatever you like: development, recruiting, complacency, culture, S&C, whatever.

The fact is, several players have come to Miami and looked like sure-fire early round draft picks their freshman year but never got better the following 2 seasons. Chad Thomas, Joe Jackson and Jonathan Garvin are the first ones off the top my head, probably cause I'm a DL junkie. Those guys NEVER developed their game from freshman to junior year. Matter of fact, not a single guy on our DL possessed good technique and that includes Norton, Willis and McIntosh. (all of whom were one-trick ponies, if their swim/penetration didn't work at the snap they got mauled) Joe Jackson never learned a pass-rush move in three years, just tried to overpower everybody. Garvin is still trying the same rip move today that he did his freshman year. Neither of them ever developed a counter move.

And it ain't like these guys were athletically inferior. IMO they weren't developed.

My issue is...

You can attribute it to whatever you like: development, recruiting, complacency, culture, S&C, whatever.

The fact is, several players have come to Miami and looked like sure-fire early round draft picks their freshman year but never got better the following 2 seasons. Chad Thomas, Joe Jackson and Jonathan Garvin are the first ones off the top my head, probably cause I'm a DL junkie. Those guys NEVER developed their game from freshman to junior year. Matter of fact, not a single guy on our DL possessed good technique and that includes Norton, Willis and McIntosh. (all of whom were one-trick ponies, if their swim/penetration didn't work at the snap they got mauled) Joe Jackson never learned a pass-rush move in three years, just tried to overpower everybody. Garvin is still trying the same rip move today that he did his freshman year. Neither of them ever developed a counter move.

And it ain't like these guys were athletically inferior. IMO they weren't developed.
We’re now on our third DL coach in the 5 years since they switched the defense. 3 years of Kuligowski, who had this all world rep and one year of Simpson and Stroud. Is it possible that these guys are all bums? Kool, who I feel was least impressive, took a promotion to Alabama. Simpson took a promotion to the NFL. In Stroud’s one season we had a lineman get more sacks in a season than anyone in 30 years despite not even starting the first few games.

I'm not taking up for the coaches at all... But at what point do we put responsibility on the players themselves for "not getting better"??? For example, It was clear as day that since Pickney got here, he wasn't taking it as serious as he should. Dude was literally fat until his senior year.

My issue is...

Most of this statement is not wrong at all especially with the lack of moves the dline players have shown outside of 1 or 2 moves however it’s a fact that chad Thomas looked like anything but a early draft pick his first 2 seasons at Miami. He didn’t do anything until the new system which was his junior year and he did end up being an early round draft pick at the top of the 3rd round which was like 2 picks back from being a 2nd round pick.

I’m still confused on the discrepancy in some cases. Yes it’s true joe Jackson tested well below thresholds for draftable edge defenders and he dropped to the 5th round primarily due to that. But in that same vein it didn’t affect a player like Clelin Ferrell nearly as much who joe Jackson was pretty similar to in terms of size , production and playstyle. Ferrell’s athletic numbers were on par with Jackson coming out of last draft too but he ended up going #4 overall in the draft while Jackson went I think #166 overall 5th round. Why is that? Is that due to overall program performance and exposure that Clemson had garnered in that time frame? Who knows

In garvins case he’s the best athlete out of jackson, himself and Thomas for sure and not close in that department however he played lazy This year also wasn’t nearly as productive as Jackson has been in recent years or shown as much pass rushing productivity in his career at Miami.

these aren’t flawless prospects

THOMAS
Size - check
Athleticism check
Production overall- mostly checked
Sack production- marginal at best
Motor- good
Draft? - early round draft pick mid day 2 selection- 3rd round pick. 2 spots from 2nd round.

JACKSON
Size- check
Athleticism- tested as a non draft able edge guy
Production overall- elite in tackles for loss and sacks
sack production- great
motor- very good
Draft -mid day 3 pick- 5th round

GARVIN
Size - check
Athleticism- great
Production overall- good not elite
Sack production- not good considering his athletic gifts
Motor- lacking, player lazy senior year

draft? Who knows but I can See him going round 4 or 5. With better play this season he would have been a day 2 pick for sure.

scouts notice all of this stuff and on some teams you won’t be on teams boards if you don’t meet certain athletic thresholds especially as an edge rusher.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm not taking up for the coaches at all... But at what point do we put responsibility on the players themselves for "not getting better"??? For example, It was clear as day that since Pickney got here, he wasn't taking it as serious as he should. Dude was literally fat until his senior year.
Yeah that’s on Pinckney, shaq looked like a d1 college linebacker physically he’s entire time at Miami, Pinckney never really did tbqh but regardless he certainly played like one

We’re now on our third DL coach in the 5 years since they switched the defense. 3 years of Kuligowski, who had this all world rep and one year of Simpson and Stroud. Is it possible that these guys are all bums? Kool, who I feel was least impressive, took a promotion to Alabama. Simpson took a promotion to the NFL. In Stroud’s one season we had a lineman get more sacks in a season than anyone in 30 years despite not even starting the first few games.
2 years of Kool, and a year of Simpson and Stroud.

Advertisement
Most of this statement is not wrong at all especially with the lack of moves the dline players have shown outside of 1 or 2 moves however it’s a fact that chad Thomas looked like anything but a early draft pick his first 2 seasons at Miami. He didn’t do anything until the new system which was his junior year and he did end up being an early round draft pick at the top of the 3rd round which was like 2 picks back from being a 2nd round pick.

I’m still confused on the discrepancy in some cases. Yes it’s true joe Jackson tested well below thresholds for draftable edge defenders and he dropped to the 5th round primarily due to that. But in that same vein it didn’t affect a player like Clelin Ferrell nearly as much who joe Jackson was pretty similar to in terms of size , production and playstyle. Ferrell’s athletic numbers were on par with Jackson coming out of last draft too but he ended up going #4 overall in the draft while Jackson went I think #166 overall 5th round. Why is that? Is that due to overall program performance and exposure that Clemson had garnered in that time frame? Who knows

In garvins case he’s the best athlete out of jackson, himself and Thomas for sure and not close in that department however he played lazy This year also wasn’t nearly as productive as Jackson has been in recent years or shown as much pass rushing productivity in his career at Miami.

these aren’t flawless prospects

THOMAS
Size - check
Athleticism check
Production overall- mostly checked
Sack production- marginal at best
Motor- good
Draft? - early round draft pick mid day 2 selection- 3rd round pick. 2 spots from 2nd round.

JACKSON
Size- check
Athleticism- tested as a non draft able edge guy
Production overall- elite in tackles for loss and sacks
sack production- great
motor- very good
Draft -mid day 3 pick- 5th round

GARVIN
Size - check
Athleticism- great
Production overall- good not elite
Sack production- not good considering his athletic gifts
Motor- lacking, player lazy senior year

draft? Who knows but I can See him going round 4 or 5. With better play this season he would have been a day 2 pick for sure.

scouts notice all of this stuff and on some teams you won’t be on teams boards if you don’t meet certain athletic thresholds especially as an edge rusher.
Thomas had his best season senior year and Jackson played his junior year hurt with that arm or elbow injury. Garvin was just a lazy piece of **** all junior year and was very good in his first two years. Would have been interesting if Jackson stayed for his senior year. If that happened then we would have never seen the year that Greg had. No chance they would have benched Garvin. As for Garvin leaving, it was a dumb decision but having Roche may be a blessing in disguise. After seeing the effort Garvin gave all year, I wasn't going to lose sleep if he bolted for the draft. I don't want lazy players here. Jeff Thomas is another example. As much as I love the kid, he was lazy. Yes I know some of it was frustration from not having a qb and a ****** offense during his time here. I do wish he stayed but if you aren't going to work hard then take a walk.

For those complaining about the people leaving early please note...

IF that CBS mock draft is correct...IF they hadn't left...Miami wouldn't have anyone drafted this year! :oops:

Now that is TRULY embarrassing

For those complaining about the people leaving early please note...

IF that CBS mock draft is correct...IF they hadn't left...Miami wouldn't have anyone drafted this year! :oops:

Now that is TRULY embarrassing
Well Miami had like 7 seniors this year. Osborn, Shaq, Hill, Pinckney, Knowles, the Ucla DT, and Tommy ******* Kennedy. Patchan got his 6th year. Pinckney won't get drafted, Osborn I think is 6th or 7th, Shaq 7th, Hill I think 5th or 6th.

I hear you...but...iron sharpens iron.
If the kids are slacking it's because they don't feel threatened. They're comfortable. Whether that's due to favoritism, lack of talent or depth behind them, etc...who knows?

Advertisement
Back